Crohn's Relief Brought Pot Activist To Cause

SirBlazinBowl

When Michelle Rainey was two years old she told her parents she was going to be Canada's first female prime minister. At age 34 she's awaiting possible extradition to the United States to face charges of conspiracy to produce marijuana, conspiracy to produce marijuana seeds and conspiracy to engage in money laundering along with Marc Emery and Greg Williams.

Rainey turned herself in to police July 29 upon learning the B.C. Marijuana Party Bookstore she and Emery operate had been raided and a warrant issued for her arrest. The money that covered her $25,000 bail was meant to cover the costs of printing a new issue of Cannabis Culture magazine.

Life has thrown Rainey curve balls before. At 17 her plans to complete high school in New Westminster, go to university and make her mark in politics changed after she developed an incurable inflammatory bowel disorder. At first doctors thought her pain, nausea and diarrhea stemmed from an ulcer and anxiety. It took them three years to diagnose Crohn's disease.

Rainey abandoned plans to attend university and took a job with a bank in Dawson Creek. After returning to the Lower Mainland, she married a high school friend, and the two built a home on the Sunshine Coast.

She was suffering with agonizing symptoms and side effects when an old friend recommended marijuana to ease her afflictions. She said it worked and she hasn't used prescription drugs or had surgery since 1996.

"Marijuana made me feel alive and healthy where I felt like I could function without feeling like I was going to throw up every five seconds." She said it made her chronic diarrhea less painful and she felt less dopey and sleepy.

"The unfortunate part is during the day, I couldn't just go out and take a quick break when I was feeling ill and have a few puffs. Whereas anyone in that bank, of course, was allowed to take their prescription drugs," she said. "That's why the rules and regulations of our society have to change. Marijuana is not an evil, evil drug. And I think the majority of Canadians are well aware of that."

Rainey met Emery six years ago, having long regarded him as her hero. They built the B.C. Marijuana Party and its bookstore together and now she manages the finances for Cannabis Culture and the online Pot-TV. She said she is not involved with Emery's seed company.

Although she regained her health and a sense of purpose, Rainey lost her marriage two years ago, a side effect, she says, of her pot activism. But she felt too strongly to give it up.

"I felt it was my duty to educate and prove to the world that you can look this good, and I don't mean to be egocentric, but I do look great. I'm 34 years old, I'm 129 pounds and I look healthy," she said. "I think it's extremely unfair and against any doctor's oath to not inform patients that there are alternative ways of healing, one of them being cannabis. I'm at the point where I want to sue my gastroenterologist and my doctor for putting me through this all these years."

Rainey believes marijuana should be regulated and available only to those older than 19 or those who need it for medical reasons. Her next court date is Sept. 16.

Newshawk: SirBlazinBowl - 420Magazine.com
Source: Vancouver Courier (CN BC)
Copyright: 2005 Vancouver Courier
Author: Cheryl Rossi, staff writer

I really dislike this attitude of "what the GI doc did to me" and the wanting to sue.
It isn't the doctors fault they aren't allowed to talk about cannabis (granted, it maybe different in canada).. It is the governments, my doctors told me after I told her that I was using MMJ "I cannot tell you TO use this, but I sure as hell would never tell you to stop if its helping", and this was a Military doctor.. I know it could have ruined her career to have brought it up herself or endorsed it , and I cannot blame her for that, she has a family too.

And the doc didn't give her crohns... Misdiagnosis happens literally ALL the time for this disease. Most of it with females from what I have heard, being diagnosed with IBS.. I'm a little upset she would want to sue over someone doing what they have been trained to do to help her.. No one was forcing her to see that doc.. And this is coming from someone who has permanent nerve damage from crohns treatments here!.. It's like being mad at a dog for not being leash trained when its only ever lived in a crate..

And that whole "look this good"? I understand wanting to look good.. But it just seems a little childish to be touting it like this in the media.. And thats the kind of image to steer clear of if we ever want to be taken seriously.. Saying I look healthy and want people to see the difference is a world different than "dang I look good! EVERYONE, COME SEE HOW GOOD I LOOK".

..maybe I am just getting crotchety as I get older, then again, its total BS they are facing anything over cannabis, it's total BS for anyone who faces criminal charges for a plant that hasn't hurt anyone.

.. And I have talked to MMJ, it has no plans in the future to hurt anyone, just to help :yummy:

Back
Top Bottom