Curing and smell

Sgtsativa

Have done two dry and cures. After a few weeks of curing I'm left with a chlorophyll smell. Sometimes when I open jars it smells good even smells like the name of what I'm growing. But after enough time it all just goes to a green not good smell.smoke is hot and harsh. I have read plenty but maybe someone has been through this and has pinpointed the issue?

It's cold and dry here. 30 to 40 percent humidity in tent. Dried for 3 or 4 days . Until it started getting crunchy. Then into ball quart jar.

Will add this. Nute burned bad. So bad it went hermie last few weeks of flower. Didn't get a real good flush. Went a week but I didn't get all the old water out as water and roots still showed some nute.

It's cold and dry here. 30 to 40 percent humidity in tent. Dried for 3 or 4 days . Until it started getting crunchy. Then into ball quart jar.

Will add this. Nute burned bad. So bad it went hermie last few weeks of flower. Didn't get a real good flush. Went a week but I didn't get all the old water out as water and roots still showed some nute.
thats your problem get a humidity controller for your dry room it will make it dry slower during the hang.
2 stages of drying, first stage is getting rid of majority of water while hanging ( you want this done slowly)
2nd stage is removing the last amount of water as slowly as possible whil not allowing mold to set in ( curing) which you also want done as slow as possible ( without mold happening)
doing any part too fast will kill smell/taste/ smoothnessharshness

if its crunchy and turns to “dust” when you break up by hand, you went too far drying and cant get it back, next time you know though

Thanks guys. I will be better equipped next time. I think it's too dry here and I need a slower dry. Had a bunch of problems. Flowered for almost 4 months because of light stress issues and I was using grow up until the last few weeks of flower until I reread the directions. First time stuff I'll chalk it up too.

Attachments

• IMG_0379.JPG
    IMG_0379.JPG
    746.7 KB · Views: 134
  • IMG_0381.JPG
    IMG_0381.JPG
    904.6 KB · Views: 124
Thanks guys. I will be better equipped next time. I think it's too dry here and I need a slower dry. Had a bunch of problems. Flowered for almost 4 months because of light stress issues and I was using grow up until the last few weeks of flower until I reread the directions. First time stuff I'll chalk it up too.

was it too much light that caused the stress? i'm curious about that.

Had a bulb burn out. Forgot to switch a timer for daylight savings. Had a 3 way splitter that had a light in it . Was brighter then I thought. I think giving wrong nutes and burning them .cost me a month and the light issues didn't help. Don't think I was light burning them though.
600 watt hps and 300 watt led. Needed another 300 watt led if anything or kept the canopy lower

I have no humidity to help with drying and curing. It wasn't tell this year that I realized I was creating a good environment without knowing. I never really had problems tell now so I didn't realize the problem.

I had to dry in a different place for a couple plants. All dried to fast. Around 3 to 4 days. When I finally got back to my normal place everything got better. Part of the problem before was just not enough plants drying at once. I had some C-99 hybrids that finished really fast. Once I got multiple plants in the closet at once my humidity went up to where it should be. All I had to do was crack the door at different levels to maintain the 40+ humidity. It only gets to around 50% at the highest so I really never have too much.

If you can't harvest more plants at once then go with a smaller drying chamber.

One thing to note. The strain may just have shitty terpene profile

Anything after 5 days seems to be ok. One thing I have found is it is best to slowly lower the humidity as they dry. Too high late in drying might add more time than needed. When my drying chamber is working great plants dry in 5 to 7 days.

Putting the harvest in paper bags can help slow it down.

:thumb:

Old-school, lol - but "back in the day," they were pretty good at blurring the line between "drying" and "curing." Most of the "cured so well that it was almost brown" bud I've smoked in my life was grown by old farts. "Eww, it's brown. And it's not even making me cough. And... wow, I'm f*cked up ;) ."

You can also try DrZiggy's Low And Slow Drying: Maximizing Your Harvest as another method. I get great results this way and plenty of others swear by it. It's worth a read anyhow.

I've wondered about that. Is it really a cure? By that, I mean has the chlorophyll actually been converted by enzymes, which will make much of the green color go away? I know Sue is a big fan of the method, but if I remember correctly, she has stated that she likes the taste/smell of fresh bud (which is fine, if true, and I can't even swear that it is, lol, because I was pretty high both times I got to visit with her... for some reason :rofl:).

I followed that thread for a little while, but it quickly grew beyond my ability to keep up. Maybe I should revisit it when I've got lots (and lots) of time to catch up in it.

I could see that picture in one of their magazines.. post this for bud of the month for sure! Nice work.

People like to pretend there is a difference between drying and curing. It's the same process. Your removing the excess moisture from the plant material. The difference is in the rate of removal.

As the plant hangs and drys the chlorophyll breaks down, as tortured soul mentioned. The longer it takes the better.
You just can't let it mold in the mean time. It's a balancing act and not everyone is on the same beam.

Hey TS...this is more about the drying process. The cure takes place after her slo n dry method

I'm sorry; I realize now that I worded my previous post badly. What I meant was more along the lines of: But can a real cure still take place afterwards? I know cold temperature slows (and, eventually, halts) the enzymatic actions that we refer to as "curing," but I'm not clear on whether or not it can restart again after temperatures return to something approaching the accepted norm. And the same question in regards to the (presumed) low humidity environment of a refrigerator. (Or is one even a low-humidity environment, lol? I've placed thermometers in them many times, but have never thought to measure the RH of the interior of a refrigerator/freezer.)

This is the kind of thing that I have to rely on others to figure out and explain to me. To be honest, I do not foresee attaining a state in which I have enough cannabis on hand to not be worried about the possibility of damaging some... Any "extra" I end up with, I give away - and, oft times in recent years, that has been reversed to "any 'extra' I end up with, I keep for myself."

I'm sorry; I realize now that I worded my previous post badly. What I meant was more along the lines of: But can a real cure still take place afterwards?
That I don't know. I try what I think makes sense, and although I don't understand many aspects of growing, curing, drying etc, I do know that if it worked I will recommend it, or at the very least provide a link for others to decide on their own, as I did.
Maybe there are many factors outside of why my smoke dried nicely, and after, cured nicely. I'm not pretending to think there is a difference, simply because I don't know if there is one, but it worked for me whatever it did! :)

Back
Top Bottom