Curing: Smell?

I've had Boveda packs (62) in jars that were just left. They showed signs of mold. Your weed must be dried/cured to be left in jars and not touched/agitated even with Bovedas.

one thing i have noticed with the boveda is if you dry the bud out too much then put bobedas in to rehydrate, the flower burns differently.
i have a bunch of bovedas 58s and 62s and a couple big cvaults to use in my upcoming harvest.
already have found out if possible you want to only use the bovedas at the end when the rh of the flower matches the boveda % as much as possible.
they are best used for maintaining a humidity for long term storage, rather than use for actually dropping or adding the moisture content of the bud.
if you have to bring up the humidity, the weed will pick up some of the moisture from the boveda and will make the flowers burn a little weird, still good, but once i noticed i couldnt unnotice it type of thing
that being said they probably work better at dropping the rh% rather than upping it, so mae sure not to dry out too much!!

ideally you want moisture to be sucked into the boveda
not boveda sucked into the flower!!

my first grow i couldn't get rid of that cut grass/hay smell. I dried and cured wrong. Still smokeable but harsh. Since these guys told me about boveda i have no issues

yep that means you dried it to fast on the initial dry. i did the same thing.
my buds were so dry if i squeezed them they would turn into what i refer to as
“hellified shake”
i ended up tossing a couple boveda 58s into the two mason jars i had the bud in and after a few weeks ( maybe sooner) they turned back into nice squishy nugs.
they still have a little of the hayyeee taste, but definitely felt better, but i can always slightly taste the boveda pack in the smoke.
i have a much better idea for this next dry/cure though, i cant wait the next 6 weeks or so and i should be good

I find that my buds are just a bit too moist with Bovida62, so I leave a few out for a couple hours first. Then run them through a hand grinder - perfect.

Next fall I'm hoping put more effort into the drying area. One of the BIRD thermostat/humidistat devices to more accurately control the drying over 7-10 days.

We put so much effort into making the dough, why burn the cookies in the last 5 minutes :D lol

I find that my buds are just a bit too moist with Bovida62, so I leave a few out for a couple hours first. Then run them through a hand grinder - perfect.

Next fall I'm hoping put more effort into the drying area. One of the BIRD thermostat/humidistat devices to more accurately control the drying over 7-10 days.

We put so much effort into making the dough, why burn the cookies in the last 5 minutes :D lol
My question is i always see how to cure bud threads with mass quantities! I only get 2-4. Zips so i kinda screwed up leaving out to long. How long would you let dry for 2-4 zips?

yep that means you dried it to fast on the initial dry. i did the same thing.
my buds were so dry if i squeezed them they would turn into what i refer to as
“hellified shake”
i ended up tossing a couple boveda 58s into the two mason jars i had the bud in and after a few weeks ( maybe sooner) they turned back into nice squishy nugs.
they still have a little of the hayyeee taste, but definitely felt better, but i can always slightly taste the boveda pack in the smoke.
i have a much better idea for this next dry/cure though, i cant wait the next 6 weeks or so and i should be good
I'm curious. How fast is too fast for drying?

My question is i always see how to cure bud threads with mass quantities! I only get 2-4. Zips so i kinda screwed up leaving out to long. How long would you let dry for 2-4 zips?

Good question. I may have over dried my last harvest.
I feel like my drying is normal, but maybe not. They cure in quart size jars with one pack each.
I usually only get 2-4 ounces per plant. Which for me is plenty, though I'm sure it could be better.
:meditate:
Took the plant down at the base, hung upside down for a week.
I had 2 last harvest, hung in my tent with the lights out.
The humidity never seemed to drop below 50.
:hippy:
On the last day, I trimmed all of the nugs and put them in the tent overnight in trays.
It's identical to my previous harvest, which I am smoking now.
There is a strange taste, and up till this thread. I shrugged it off as new terpenes.
Which is could still be, but maybe it rehydrated and absorbed the taste from the bovedas.

So from what i gather, and correct me if im wrong here, when you first chop the plant the flowers are still “living” and when the initial drying is taking place, the flower itself, or microbes in the flower, are still feeding off of the chloryphyl left in the leaf material of the bud.

these microbes or the flower, stop living when the bud goes lower than 60ish % rh

the goal you are looking for when drying is to slow the process of lowering the rh % of the bud to 60 as slow as possible to allow these flowers’ microbes the maximum amount of time to eat all the chloryphyll left in the buds, make sense?

but theres a catch. not only is the flower living, theres also mold spores present everywhere, unless you are working in a 100% sterile enviroment (doubt that) so you have to strike a balance of bringing the moisture down to an acceptable level, while doing it fast enough to keep the moisture to a level where the mold growth cannot take place.

i think common knowledge at this point is about a week to a week and a half for the initial hang dry. the initial hang dry should get the rh % of the bud to around 67-70%
this is drying

at that point you want to get the buds into jars or cvaults and as slowly as possible remove the rest of the moisture to get it to around 60-62% (hence the boveda 62% packs) to keep for short term storage.
this part is the initial curing stage where you burp the jars every day or two or whatever.
we are still trying to remove moisture slowly to hit the 60-62% mark, but we are still trying to do it fast enough that mold doesnt have a chance to grow.
remember mold likes stagnant old air, so the more we can exchange air, the less chance of mold, but once again, the more we change air, the faster we dry
this is curing

once we can get to the 60-62% mark, we can use boveda 58% pack for long term storage (year or more) at that humidity you wont have to worry about mold growing. this is not curing, this is storing

sorry for the long post, if im wrong here someone let me know, but i partly typed this up so i can cement the knowledge for myself in my head. hopefully someone else will find it useful, i know theres alot of posts about drying, but sometimes its hard to find a single post that sums up the entire process.

bovedas are great, dont get me wrong i have them as well. but remember if you use them to rehydrate ( going up in rh%) you are going to taste the RO water that is used in the pack as osmosis effect puts moisture back into your weed.
ideally you want the bovedas to bring the rh% down, not bring back up, so be careful about drying too quickly.
once the flower has essentially died and dried, there is no way to revive the microbes that will eat the chloryphyll again

Good point about the 58's-I had cured bud in a jar(with Boveda 62's),and after 4 months,some of the buds
started to grow mold-had to toss a half an ounce-I'll try the 58's for long term storage next time.:thumb:

Good point about the 58's-I had cured bud in a jar(with Boveda 62's),and after 4 months,some of the buds
started to grow mold-had to toss a half an ounce-I'll try the 58's for long term storage next time.:thumb:

yes the 62’s are a touch high for the 60% you want to end all microbial shit still living.
62’s are good for a jar that you smoke out of (open on a daily basis) or the initial cure stage to get the bud to the point of being dry enough to stick in the 58’s.

now that i actually have the bovedas and have thought about this whole process so much in my head im thinkjng if its possible its probably always better to not have to use the bovedas, but they are great to have anyways just as an insurance policy if things dont go exactly as planned

F*ck me. My stash is too dry at 55~58% then. I didn't want any smell leaking out so I modified two cartoon boxes, funnel them with the intake fan into the tent, trim off most excess and they dried out in 5 days ( with a cola has mold though @$&%).

Should I go with boveda 58 or stick with the 62 and air out once every week?

F*ck me. My stash is too dry at 55~58% then. I didn't want any smell leaking out so I modified two cartoon boxes, funnel them with the intake fan into the tent, trim off most excess and they dried out in 5 days ( with a cola has mold though @$&%).

Should I go with boveda 58 or stick with the 62 and air out once every week?

if your stash has already dropped to 55-58% you would want to store with a boveda 58 if you go that route.

also best practice is to have at least two jars.
-1 jar is to keep the majority of the bud, with the boveda 58 pack
-1 jar is to just take a couple buds you are going to smoke out of for normal consumption.

you dont want to be opening and closing the main jar to smoke out of, only to transport the buds you will smoke for say a week or whatever into the second jar.
let me know if that makes sense, im trying to explain it best i can

if your stash has already dropped to 55-58% you would want to store with a boveda 58 if you go that route.

also best practice is to have at least two jars.
-1 jar is to keep the majority of the bud, with the boveda 58 pack
-1 jar is to just take a couple buds you are going to smoke out of for normal consumption.

you dont want to be opening and closing the main jar to smoke out of, only to transport the buds you will smoke for say a week or whatever into the second jar.
let me know if that makes sense, im trying to explain it best i can

So I guess I will buy some boveda 58 as I intend to store them only.
Strange as it seems, I don't smoke even though I grow. It is to pay rent and to make my brother happy when he drops by for a visit. ;))

Back
Top Bottom