Dead seedlings, problem?

kangol34

I had two seedlings that sprouted and grew for about two weeks, while under a couple of my 6500k cfls. They seemed stunted compared to other CFL grows that I saw. I gave them some FISH EMULSION 5-1-1 at 1/2 Tsp per gallon of distilled water thinking that maybe it would jumpstart their growth. I left my house for 2 days and came back and basically they were dead and withered. My soil: 1/2 organic choice MG with 1/2 perlite.

Im not sure if it was the FISH fert that killed them or another factor. The temp was around 78-80 degrees when I came back and saw them and they had a decent amount of water.

I want to use this fish fert on another new healthy seedling of mine but it makes me nervous.
I can take pics if that will help.

i don't give my seedlings any feedings till they have several sets of true leaves and are 3-5 inches tall

i personally distrust miracle grow products heard a rumour that they purposefully put chems or toxins to make reefer taste bad or kill reefer plants specifically to discourage use of their products for growing reefer....

Seedlings do not require any ferts until they are about 2 weeks old. That's probably your issue right there. Some organic MG still contain time release ferts in them. If it says on the bag "Feeds Up to 1 Month" then it is not what you are looking for. I was just in Walmart buying soil and saw that Organic MG soil, and it said feeds up to 1 month. How that's organic I don't know.

MG Organic is made with chicken manure, and as with most manures, under certain conditions, and with enough microbial activity, it can literally get hot in your soil, and the pH can fluctuate and lots of things can go wrong. I don't like using a lot of fertilizer in my soil already. I'm a believer in controlled feeding, or conditioning soil yourself. Letting the factory feed my soil is like having a mechanic do a routine maintenance on my car the same he would on any other car, and totally ignoring any problems the car has that aren't specifically on his roster of duties. Be your own mechanic and ditch the miracle grow.

That MG soil was already "hot"(too much fertilizer), and would have killed your seedlings on it's own most likely, but the fish emulsion definitely was too much. Wait till it definitely looks like a little pot plant, and starts to show light yellowing on the lower leaves before giving it anything, and even then, only give it a very little.

Wait till it definitely looks like a little pot plant, and starts to show light yellowing on the lower leaves before giving it anything, and even then, only give it a very little)

Is the above true for hydro plants?

Back
Top Bottom