I find myself in possession of my recent harvest
I make my own tincture, quite successfully so far
but I have been working with dispensary weed up until now
which brings me to my current brain teaser
to decarb WHOLE buds, or shredded and
which will actually produce the best tincture in the long run

I am of a minimum of Two Minds on this,
1. I have been grinding and decarbing low an slow and it works, why change it
2. this is home grown, not commercially shaken to death to remove the kief to sell off seperately
and in my opinion, some mighty fine looking buds. Just like flavored moonshine where they add whole chunks of
fruit, I am pondering decarbing some nuggets and letting them soak a while.

yeah, I understand what you are saying but by calling it oil
it opens up a whole different discussion in here
but I grasp what you are saying, even read sweet sue's how to on making them
and reducing till the thickness and strength desired was reached.
what does the freezing accomplish compared to just pouring the mass in a jar
I have been using a apple flavored bourbon for the last few batches mostly
because I really enjoy the flavor of it compared to the crap the
dispensaries are selling with the glycerin it just taste like ashtrays to me

Because ethanol is such an efficient solvent and stripping of trichomes to as much as 95% can be done in as little as 15 minutes using cold ethanol, you want larger particle sizes to leave cellular structures intact and avoid unwanted chlorophyll and plant waxes. Do not grind.

Solid buds work extremely well. I contain the decarbed buds in rosin press bags and let drip dry. No straining or filtration necessary. Simply reduce and enjoy.

DSCN0093.JPG

DSCN0860.JPG

DSCN0861.JPG

DSCN0872 (2).JPG

Everything I've read says the longer you wait, the more potent the tincture. It could be ready almost after you infuse the ground bud with alcohol - all you need to do is mix, shake it for 3 minutes, and its buzz time! I'm going for the hi-octane stuff :D. BTW: this is the first time I'm giving this a try so what the hell do I know. I did grind and decarb - I'm hoping for a minimal "plant" taste.

Hey Skirk - when you say reduce do you heat the tincture to evaporate/boil off the alcohol?

Because I use tincture/oil daily, I reduce and reclaim the Everclear with the Source Turbo. Were I a casual user I would just evaporate off. It doesn't take long and I'm not qualified to mess with explosive fumes.

DSCN0086 (2).JPG

@smoke99, I should have mentioned I double bag the decarbed bud to completely contain and shake vigorously over a 2-4 hour period. 15 minutes is a minimum. I apologise for not being concise.

DSCN1738 (2).JPG

Back
Top Bottom