Decarboxylating Cannabis & Making Cannabutter In A Pressure Cooker: Low Smell

Hi, I'm writing this for anyone who is looking for a different way to decarb and make Cannabutter for edible recipes but worry about the smell that is UNDOUBTEDLY going to appear when you use an oven to decarb your cannabis. This is also my first time writing something like this but I feel it is best to share what I know to help others who might not have the same coincidental-luck and being born in a legal state as some do. Any ways, let's begin. Here is a list of items and prices so you can do EXACTLY what I'm doing with the same equipment so there's no chance of something else happening for you.
Items - Instant Pot Duo Mini 3qt Electric Pressure Cooker : $79.95 (This can be purchased on Amazon.com, Instant Pot's own store website, or Target which happens to be where I purchased mine) ; Pack of 8 oz VERTICAL Mason Jars : $15 - $30 (This can be purchased on Amazon for different prices and pack sizes) ; 1/4 oz of Cannabis : $ - $$$$ (Price matters on where you live and where you get your cannabis) [Warning : when making Cannabutter using any method, the potency will all depend on the QUALITY of your cannabis, if you see yourself using trim or some low THC yielding strains, try using a 1/2 oz] ; Scale : $ - $$$$ (Price matters on quality of scale you purchase) ; 1 and 1/3 sticks of unsalted butter ; Grinder or knife ; some rags
[NOTE : You can use a different pressure cooker if you already have one, just make sure you know all the specs and how to adjust the pressure so you don't burn the cannabis]
Alright, let's get started
PHASE 1 - Decarb
Step 1 : Using a scale, weigh out 1/4 oz of cannabis​
Step 2 : Using your hands, break up any large buds or leafs so that there's a nice even surface area for every bud​
Step 3 : Place 1/4 oz of cannabis inside of a Mason Jar​
Step 4 : Place a couple of rags inside of the pressure cooking pot so the mason jar​
Step 5 : Place Mason Jar on rags inside of pressure cooker [Note: This is to ensure that your mason jar isn't in direct contact with the heat source at the bottom of the cooker]
Step 6 : Fill pressure cooker with water until the water level has reached 1/3 of the way up the mason jar (if for some reason the jar floats, that's ok)​
Step 7 : Close the pressure cooker and using the High setting, cook for 40 minutes​
Step 8 : Once done, let the pressure release using the steam valve and admire the now evenly decarboxylated cannabis​
[Note: There will be a smell that will make a kitchen or room smell like cannabis for a good hour or 2 but it is MUCH less potent that using an oven, also most of the smell will be in the Mason Jar so be ready to maybe open a window to get the smell out much faster]
PHASE 2 - Cannabutter
Step 1 : Using a knife or grinder, cut or grind up your now decarboxylated cannabis finely, then put back into the mason jar​
Step 2 : Cube 1 and 1/3 sticks of butter and put them in the mason jar​
Step 3 : Put mason jar sealed into the pressure cooker​
Step 4 : Close pressure cooker and cook on High for 20 minutes​
Step 5 : Once done cooking, allow the pressure cooker to lose pressure on it's own for another 15 - 30 minutes​
[WARNING : Letting the pressure out using the steam valve will cause the butter to begin to foam from the sudden change and build up pressure inside the mason jar which could cause them to EXPLODE!!!! So that being said, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND LET THE PRESSURE GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN]
Step 6 : Once done, take jar out of pressure cooker and strain the solution into a mesh strainer with some cheese cloth if you have some to catch all the bud​
Step 7 : Once strained, squeeze the cheese cloth so the excess butter comes out​
Step 8 : Dispose of waste and clean up and maybe open a window for 30 minutes​

Thank you for reading this guide, I hope this helps cut back the smell from decarbing and cooking butter for many of you as it has for me. Please leave any questions if anything is unclear or comment your results.
Bake on!!!

Thanks for this. :hug: I’ll look it over again when I have a minute. Just so you know, we have a thread dedicated to using the IP pressure cooker to make infused cannabis oil. Instant Pot Infused Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

This is a visual medium. Do you per chance have some photos of the process we can include with the narrative? This would be a nice addition to the data banks and we have so many members that have challenges with all the words. Breaking it up with visuals adds to the usefulness.

Again....thanks so much for helping spread the word of how safe and easy it is to process cannabis. :circle-of-love:

I have to leave a not that you may not have as complete a decarboxylation as you believe. The IP runs at approx 245° F on the high pressure setting. For a total decarb you’ll be wanting to cook for 110 minutes, not 40, and then let the IP release naturally, without any help from you. In other words, don’t release the pressure when it’s done. I typically set mine up at night and let it cool overnight.

I know this to be true because I’ve checked the decarb level coming out at a manual release and it took an additional 20 min + to get total decarb with a hot oil bath set at 235°F.

If total decarb is what you’re seeking with an IP it’ll take a full 110 minutes at the high pressure setting.

It’s also not necessary to break up the buds for a decarb. The gases release from the full bud, no matter what method you use, and for sure under pressure. Save yourself that step. It’s a hangover from when we didn’t know any better.

Thanks for this. :hug: I’ll look it over again when I have a minute. Just so you know, we have a thread dedicated to using the IP pressure cooker to make infused cannabis oil. Instant Pot Infused Cannabis Oil: A SweetSue Picture Tutorial

This is a visual medium. Do you per chance have some photos of the process we can include with the narrative? This would be a nice addition to the data banks and we have so many members that have challenges with all the words. Breaking it up with visuals adds to the usefulness.

Again....thanks so much for helping spread the word of how safe and easy it is to process cannabis. :circle-of-love:

Have read much of the many posts/threads about pressure cooker decarb and infusion. But you have been exposed to it all so would no doubt know best. This question may have been answered somewhere in the hundreds of post in the many threads but I have not come across it in one place. From all I have read I believe I can do the following. But maybe you know if someone has done this?

I am fortunate enough to live in California, do one annual outdoor grow for 5 pounds of dry manicured buds. Now only do edibles. Would be much easier for me to use fresh manicured bud (no drying) and process in a big batch(s) for the year. Have canner that I can do twenty four 1/2 pint jars at a time. Each 1/2 pint does one batch of edibles.

Any reason one could not simply immersion blend fresh harvest into coco oil, put into mason jars with lids on just finger tight like any canning job, run at 240 degree for ? (have read anywhere from 40 minutes to 110 minutes) to decarb and then just bring down psi/temp for ? time to infuse (if even necessary?). One process. Then let pressure come down without venting till psi 0, open, strain/filter while hot, rejar and tighten down lids and let jars vacuum seal just like canning? Store long term in chest freezer. Even if there was some water in the jars it would settle to bottom and oil on top. Not a problem. But I suspect the water in the fresh bud may vent off as steam from the jars during decarb/infuse.

*Add on - Just read more of your other posts/threads. Sounds like I would get more potency by letting canner cool down overnight and doing a second run? Also you stated that pre decarbed had higher potency in your opinion. But does that not require drying which reduces terpenes, which I believe you stated somewhere helps efficacy with cannabinoids crossing brain barrier? (Right now I having trouble with any more info crossing my brain barrier!)

Thoughts?

Hi, I'm writing this for anyone who is looking for a different way to decarb and make Cannabutter for edible recipes but worry about the smell that is UNDOUBTEDLY going to appear when you use an oven to decarb your cannabis. This is also my first time writing something like this but I feel it is best to share what I know to help others who might not have the same coincidental-luck and being born in a legal state as some do. Any ways, let's begin. Here is a list of items and prices so you can do EXACTLY what I'm doing with the same equipment so there's no chance of something else happening for you.
Items - Instant Pot Duo Mini 3qt Electric Pressure Cooker : $79.95 (This can be purchased on Amazon.com, Instant Pot's own store website, or Target which happens to be where I purchased mine) ; Pack of 8 oz VERTICAL Mason Jars : $15 - $30 (This can be purchased on Amazon for different prices and pack sizes) ; 1/4 oz of Cannabis : $ - $$$$ (Price matters on where you live and where you get your cannabis) [Warning : when making Cannabutter using any method, the potency will all depend on the QUALITY of your cannabis, if you see yourself using trim or some low THC yielding strains, try using a 1/2 oz] ; Scale : $ - $$$$ (Price matters on quality of scale you purchase) ; 1 and 1/3 sticks of unsalted butter ; Grinder or knife ; some rags
[NOTE : You can use a different pressure cooker if you already have one, just make sure you know all the specs and how to adjust the pressure so you don't burn the cannabis]
Alright, let's get started
PHASE 1 - Decarb
Step 1 : Using a scale, weigh out 1/4 oz of cannabis​
Step 2 : Using your hands, break up any large buds or leafs so that there's a nice even surface area for every bud​
Step 3 : Place 1/4 oz of cannabis inside of a Mason Jar​
Step 4 : Place a couple of rags inside of the pressure cooking pot so the mason jar​
Step 5 : Place Mason Jar on rags inside of pressure cooker [Note: This is to ensure that your mason jar isn't in direct contact with the heat source at the bottom of the cooker]
Step 6 : Fill pressure cooker with water until the water level has reached 1/3 of the way up the mason jar (if for some reason the jar floats, that's ok)​
Step 7 : Close the pressure cooker and using the High setting, cook for 40 minutes​
Step 8 : Once done, let the pressure release using the steam valve and admire the now evenly decarboxylated cannabis​
[Note: There will be a smell that will make a kitchen or room smell like cannabis for a good hour or 2 but it is MUCH less potent that using an oven, also most of the smell will be in the Mason Jar so be ready to maybe open a window to get the smell out much faster]
PHASE 2 - Cannabutter
Step 1 : Using a knife or grinder, cut or grind up your now decarboxylated cannabis finely, then put back into the mason jar​
Step 2 : Cube 1 and 1/3 sticks of butter and put them in the mason jar​
Step 3 : Put mason jar sealed into the pressure cooker​
Step 4 : Close pressure cooker and cook on High for 20 minutes​
Step 5 : Once done cooking, allow the pressure cooker to lose pressure on it's own for another 15 - 30 minutes​
[WARNING : Letting the pressure out using the steam valve will cause the butter to begin to foam from the sudden change and build up pressure inside the mason jar which could cause them to EXPLODE!!!! So that being said, PLEASE BE PATIENT AND LET THE PRESSURE GO AWAY ON IT'S OWN]
Step 6 : Once done, take jar out of pressure cooker and strain the solution into a mesh strainer with some cheese cloth if you have some to catch all the bud​
Step 7 : Once strained, squeeze the cheese cloth so the excess butter comes out​
Step 8 : Dispose of waste and clean up and maybe open a window for 30 minutes​

Thank you for reading this guide, I hope this helps cut back the smell from decarbing and cooking butter for many of you as it has for me. Please leave any questions if anything is unclear or comment your results.
Bake on!!!
It seems decarbing will occur when cannabis is pressure cooked in butter. Why do a precook decarb?
The pressure cooker will decarb as the butter/weed cooking process takes place since 15 psi is 240 ish degrees. Well into decarb temp zone. Or am I missing something? I have decarbed dry weed in the oven and then went to pressure cooking and also skipped oven decarb and counted on the pressure cooker alone to do the trick. From what I can tell subjectively there is not difference. So why bother with an unneeded double decarb process?

Back
Top Bottom