Decriminalization

Apology for changing the main subject, but this response triggered my curiosity.
When a marijuana consumption test is performed, will the test tell if the marijuana is medical (something like under 1% thc) or higher then the medical percentage.?
I don't know about telling medical vs recreational. But, a lot of people who use for medical do not go light weight. They want something stronger to induce hunger because they are loosing to much weight because of their cancer treatments as an example.

A total of 1,974 people were sent to state prisons for marijuana-related offenses during Harris’s 2011-2016 tenure as the Golden State’s lead prosecutor.
Recreational and medical might be legal in California but there are still regulations and laws that have to be followed. Blanket numbers like 1,974 people being sent to state prisons becomes important after we find out what the charges actually were. Going to a state prison usually indicates offensives a bit more severe than growing one or two plants over some limit in the backyard or smoking a joint on the front porch where the nosy neighbor can see and smell it.

I just looked up her views on Marijuana and since she started in the golden state as prosecutor, attorney general, and senator her "on the record" views have definitely changed over the last 20-30 years. At first she started supporting some aspects of medical use and now she is now legalization of both medical and recreational & wants the state and local jurisdictions dropping all those petty criminal offenses.

Personally I would rather have someone change their mind and admit it than just be stubborn. We still have people ready to pound the table like it was 1968 and claim the end of civilization is going to happen every time someone lights up a bowl.

Gotta paint the picket fence around the patio so I think I will light up a joint, take a few hits and then stare at the paintbrush until my wife realizes it is up to her to open the can of redwood stain.;)

May I please smoke medicine, dear daddy government?
May I please move freely, dear daddy government?
May I please breathe, dear daddy government?
This is the attitude that needs fixing.

Gotta paint the picket fence around the patio so I think I will light up a joint, take a few hits and then stare at the paintbrush until my wife realizes it is up to her to open the can of redwood stain.;)
Brother, I really know the feeling.

Your statement
"Personally I would rather have someone change their mind and admit it than just be stubborn";
is sound judgement.

Your reply makes a lot of sense and nice chatting with you here at the watering hole.

The MORE Act has passed the House (1st time ever) Now it's going to the Senate to make marijuana legal -federally - then the states have to determine what to do - legalization has jumped the 1st big bump hope the ball keeps on bonce-ing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The MORE Act has passed the House (1st time ever) Now it's going to the Senate to make marijuana legal -federally - then the states have to determine what to do - legalization has jumped the 1st big bump hope the ball keeps on bonce-ing !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
If it passes the Senate then it has to go to Biden to be signed. Contrary to what many believed in the months leading up to the election and since then he has not shown signs that he supports legalization, removing from the Controlled Substances list, and he has said little to indicate what it would take to change his mind.

As it is, the Act needed a simple majority of 218 votes in favor to pass the House. The MORE Act got 220 which is really close to having been defeated. Several Republicans broke with their party and voted in favor and a couple Democrats voted against so still a close vote.

Now it goes to the Senate where the process starts over. A committee studies the Act and either sends it out of committee so it can be voted on. Or, it rejects it or does nothing and the Act stalls.

If it gets to the floor of the senate for a vote it will take 60 votes out 100 to pass. Since the Senate is pretty much even between Republicans and Democrats it does not look like a sure thing unless 10 Republicans break with the traditional party view and all the Democrats vote in favor.

Even if it passes and even if Biden signs it into law, the MORE Act does not make Marijuana legal across the US. It just removes it from the Controlled Substances list, makes it easier for some businesses to deal with banking, and helps to get people convicted of non-violent weed crimes clear their records.

It will not force individual states to make possession or use of Marijuana legal. Each state will still be able to say No to possessing or using weed for recreational and/or medical.

First they have to take it off of the schedule 1 list, before it would even be legal to vote to legalize it. I don't see it happening in this session, there are just too many hurdles to jump over. It's good to see the legislation, but it is a year until the patent held by USDHHS runs out and the Senate would have to renege on the deal they made with Big Pharma in order to get this done. Nothing is impossible in this current administration though, but if this goes through I will be shocked.

If it passes the Senate then it has to go to Biden to be signed. Contrary to what many believed in the months leading up to the election and since then he has not shown signs that he supports legalization, removing from the Controlled Substances list, and he has said little to indicate what it would take to change his mind.

As it is, the Act needed a simple majority of 218 votes in favor to pass the House. The MORE Act got 220 which is really close to having been defeated. Several Republicans broke with their party and voted in favor and a couple Democrats voted against so still a close vote.

Now it goes to the Senate where the process starts over. A committee studies the Act and either sends it out of committee so it can be voted on. Or, it rejects it or does nothing and the Act stalls.

If it gets to the floor of the senate for a vote it will take 60 votes out 100 to pass. Since the Senate is pretty much even between Republicans and Democrats it does not look like a sure thing unless 10 Republicans break with the traditional party view and all the Democrats vote in favor.

Even if it passes and even if Biden signs it into law, the MORE Act does not make Marijuana legal across the US. It just removes it from the Controlled Substances list, makes it easier for some businesses to deal with banking, and helps to get people convicted of non-violent weed crimes clear their records.

It will not force individual states to make possession or use of Marijuana legal. Each state will still be able to say No to possessing or using weed for recreational and/or medical.
The motivating factor is Money - be it this opening the door for government to tax it and eventually federal Legalization ( taken off the schedule 1 list then each state needs to legalize it __ $$$$$being the driving factor it will be legalized, for an example look at the legal states income from marijuana in the millions !! states will adopt legalization because of the monies involved - thanks for the current informaion

be it this opening the door for government to tax it
If I read one article correctly the MORE Act already includes a national sales tax. Add that to any state sales taxes, etc.

$$$$$being the driving factor it will be legalized, for an example look at the legal states income from marijuana in the millions !! states will adopt legalization because of the monies involved -
In the states that have legalized it the taxes and state govt fees for licenses, etc themselves probably are about 25% of what is charged at dispensaries.

Back
Top Bottom