Democrat Looks To Legalize Pot

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
California Assemblyman and LGBT activist Tom Ammiano is set to introduce a bill legalizing marijuana and raising as much as US $1 billion by applying a sales tax on the drug.

Ammiano press secretary Quintin Mecke says the proposed bill “would remove all penalties in California law on cultivation, transportation, sale, purchase, possession, or use of marijuana, natural THC, or paraphernalia for persons over the age of 21.”

The bill will also prohibit state and local law officials from enforcing federal marijuana laws.

Ammiano, a Democrat who represents San Francisco in the California state legislature, seeks to rescue his state from an economic crisis by “establishing a fee on the sale of marijuana at a rate of $50 per ounce.” It is estimated that taxing marijuana sales could raise as much as US $1 billion for state coffers.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: The Right Perspective
Copyright: 2009 The Right Perspective
Website: Democrat Looks To Legalize Pot | The Right Perspective

Sure ... it starts out at $50 an ounce sales tax .... Then before ya know it the tax doubles... tripples...and spirals up and out of control . Once government finds a cash cow ...they will wring out every penny , or worse yet make the price out of reach for those that need it. ...... Just once , I'd like to see the actual workings of freedom without a price tag attached .:smokin:

What about people who are unable to grow their own but still need the medicine ? I think 50$ is a bit much 1$ a gram would be better.

Just my 2cp Ogre

A dollar a gram is too low a price. The state still needs to make money as said before. If weed were $50 an O, i might wonder about the potency.

What about people who are unable to grow their own but still need the medicine ? I think 50$ is a bit much 1$ a gram would be better.

Just my 2cp Ogre

This would not change prop 215. You could see the price of medicine drop. Could this actually hurt the medical MJ industry???

This would not change prop 215. You could see the price of medicine drop. Could this actually hurt the medical MJ industry???

I think the part of the bill that prohibits state and local law enforcement from helping or cooperating with the Feds in any way would help the dispensaries.

It would make planning those smash and grabs just that much harder.

On the flip side...

If all citizens were free to to grow without reprisals, the Fed's couldn't work on people one grower at a time. The supply would certainly increase, which would lead to a major price drop in my opinion.

Most of the cost comes as a result of prohibition, take away prohibition and watch the price plummet

Why is it always california? Is it something in the water because he seems to have the right idea every state just needs to legalize!! :rollit:

I think the part of the bill that prohibits state and local law enforcement from helping or cooperating with the Feds in any way would help the dispensaries.

Soniq420, I was thinking it could hurt the MMJ industry in a financial way. If California decrimins, would patients renew there recommendation? For some it might not be an issue but that could have a trickle down effect.

I do like that part that tells the feds to stay out of our business.

dontcha just love capitalisim ;)

Capitalisim is fine with me .....I just wonder when will Americans be able to actually put it into use ?....... It's the dependance createing centralized government operateing outside it's constitutional boundries that steals over half of my earnings that bugs me .:smokin:

I agree that the taxes are high but isnt that better than prison time. As someone who barely got out of a two year prison term, I would gladly pay this. Did anyone really think that they would just legalize and everything would be perfect? Of course the government is going to squeeze us for every penny they can. Not sure what the chances are of this passing or how long it will take but I will welcome it with open arms.

Back
Top Bottom