Schwarzenegger Says Calif. Should Study Pot Laws

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
Gov. Arnold Schwarznegger said Tuesday that California should study other nations' experiences in legalizing and taxing marijuana, although he is not supporting the idea.

He said it's time to debate proposals such as a bill introduced in the state Legislature earlier this year that would treat marijuana like alcohol.

State Assemblyman Tom Ammiano, a San Francisco Democrat, said legalizing marijuana for adults over age 21 and taxing it at $50 an ounce would help the state as it faces annual budget deficits. Ammiano cited a California Board of Equalization estimate that the tax could bring in $1.3 billion a year, depending on various assumptions.

"It's time for debate. ... I'm always for an open debate on it," Schwarznegger said in response to a question during a news event. He was in Davis, a university town just west of the state capital, to promote wildfire safety.

Schwarznegger also cautioned that some other nations have had negative experiences.

"I think we want to look at all that," the governor said. "Just because of raising revenues, we have to be very careful not to make mistakes at the same time."

Schwarznegger spokesman Aaron McLear later said the governor was drawing on his conversations with officials in Europe, including a police officer in his hometown of Graz, Austria.

"He's talked to some folks over in Europe," McLear said. "It hasn't worked out so well for them."

Ammiano spokesman Quintin Mecke said he is unaware of any negative consequences from taxing marijuana. He cited studies that show treating the drug as a regulated commodity reduced consumption among young users.

"We would welcome the debate. The debate is long overdue," Mecke said Tuesday. "Not only as a state but as a country, it's time to have a rational drug policy."

Ammiano's bill is on hold in the state Legislature. He delayed seeking approval until next year.

California became the first state to legalize medical marijuana, doing so in 1996.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: Pasadena Star News
Author: DON THOMPSON
Copyright: 2009 Los Angeles Newspaper group
Website: Schwarzenegger says Calif. should study pot laws - Pasadena Star-News

"He's talked to some folks over in Europe," McLear said. "It hasn't worked out so well for them."

Under what proof? I love it when news articles insert little things like this, then back it up with no proof at all. I know that the article itself also says that this is more or less based on nothing, but still. I just can't believe that people still can deny that it works. Look at the netherlands, even better, look at Portugal!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Gov. Arnold Schwarznegger said Tuesday that California should study other nations' experiences in legalizing and taxing marijuana, although he is not supporting the idea.

what????

Arnold is a Republican. He must play both sides of this for his own destiny. I.e... The Republicans Party view is not to engage in "Promoting of" any Cannabis laws or rights for the People, who happen to be the Government. He also is aware as is most of the USA, of the increasing success of the Medical Cannabis industry Californians have voted on and California is and has been collecting taxes on.
Arnold sees California as being the LEADER of the Cannabis Reform Laws in all States. Hey some one has to be the leader.
This also is a great time to really openly discuss this issue as Mexico & Canada have been taking advantage of the USA's thirst for Cannabis products in all forms. I.e.. Hemp clothing, Hemp Milk, Hulled Hemp Seeds,and smokeable cannabis, you get the picture. All these other products besides Medicinal Cannabis are being grown and imported into the USA's economy and all the production dollars as well as the Tax Base revenues are not being handled properly. The USA can produce these products. Why pay some one else to do so outside the USA's borders? Why have US Dollars go away from something it can produce within? WHY, WHy WHY?

Back
Top Bottom