DIY 50 site aero cloner for under $100.00

OK. Just reread the thread. I have a couple questions...

How thick is the neoprene on your plugs? It looks like the ones you bought are twice as thick as the ones you made. It seems to me the thicker ones would perform better. What do you think? I'll go see what my local walmart has available in the fabric/crafts area. Maybe I could use some spray adhesive to glue several layers together?

How many mister jets did you settle on? I picked out a Rubbermaid Roughneck tote last night at wallyworld. It looks to be about the same size as your Sterlite. I know that brand was cheaper, but they didn't have the same style you used. I didn't like the shape of the Sterlite lids as much as the Rubbermaid. It's only a few $$ different. I'll have ~50 sites in the lid, like yours. I already have an ECO396 pump I can use, but I will look for an adjustable pump when I go to the hydro store (2 hours away, so don't go often, going this weekend).

Thanks again for your great instructions 420fied. When it's built, I'll post a photo for your collection. :)

OK. Just reread the thread. I have a couple questions...

How thick is the neoprene on your plugs? It looks like the ones you bought are twice as thick as the ones you made. It seems to me the thicker ones would perform better. What do you think? I'll go see what my local walmart has available in the fabric/crafts area. Maybe I could use some spray adhesive to glue several layers together?

How many mister jets did you settle on? I picked out a Rubbermaid Roughneck tote last night at wallyworld. It looks to be about the same size as your Sterlite. I know that brand was cheaper, but they didn't have the same style you used. I didn't like the shape of the Sterlite lids as much as the Rubbermaid. It's only a few $$ different. I'll have ~50 sites in the lid, like yours. I already have an ECO396 pump I can use, but I will look for an adjustable pump when I go to the hydro store (2 hours away, so don't go often, going this weekend).

Thanks again for your great instructions 420fied. When it's built, I'll post a photo for your collection. :)

You're welcome. I wish you well on your build and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

My advice is to buy the neoprene pucks either online or at your hydro shop. I bought and made my thin neoprene plugs out of necessity. It was either those or a 2 hour drive so I improvised. They work fine but there's not much of a sidewall for them to seat themselves in the cloner lid with so it's easy to push them through the hole if you aren't careful. The thicker neoprene pucks are just easier to work with.

I wouldn't glue layers together. That'll cause you headaches in the end. I had 28 misters in the cloners at one point and ended up gutting it down to 16 in each. Your 396 should work wonderfully. Remember, you can always adjust the height of your manifold by increasing/decreasing the length of the vertical pipe coming out of your pump. This gives an un-adjustable pump a little adjustment. ;)

Good growing

"I bought and made my thin neoprene plugs out of necessity"

Hope you don't mind me posting a photo of some home made plugs.
DSC013103.jpg

A buck at the dollar store. LOL

You're welcome. I wish you well on your build and I'm looking forward to the pictures.

My advice is to buy the neoprene pucks either online or at your hydro shop. I bought and made my thin neoprene plugs out of necessity. It was either those or a 2 hour drive so I improvised. They work fine but there's not much of a sidewall for them to seat themselves in the cloner lid with so it's easy to push them through the hole if you aren't careful. The thicker neoprene pucks are just easier to work with.

I wouldn't glue layers together. That'll cause you headaches in the end. I had 28 misters in the cloners at one point and ended up gutting it down to 16 in each. Your 396 should work wonderfully. Remember, you can always adjust the height of your manifold by increasing/decreasing the length of the vertical pipe coming out of your pump. This gives an un-adjustable pump a little adjustment. ;)

Good growing

Thanks again! My hydro store is 2 hours away as well. I'll just buy some pucks then. It looks like they are also tapered, so that should help them not fall through. Especially since my holes won't be perfect.

"I bought and made my thin neoprene plugs out of necessity"

Hope you don't mind me posting a photo of some home made plugs.
DSC013103.jpg

A buck at the dollar store. LOL

Clever! So 6 plugs for $1. I'll have to check my dollar store for flip flops before I head to the hydro store. :)

I built my cloner last weekend.
IMG_1573_-_no_EXIF.jpg

I don't know if I like my emitters though. They spray too much in the horizontal plane. Don't I want them spraying up towards the stems? I already raised the manifold a bit to get them closer to the lid. They still aren't spraying directly on the lid though. I posted about it in my journal, and someone said it's just creating a humid environment, implying that the jets don't need to spray directly on the stems. Is this true?

I built my cloner last weekend.
IMG_1573_-_no_EXIF.jpg

I don't know if I like my emitters though. They spray too much in the horizontal plane. Don't I want them spraying up towards the stems? I already raised the manifold a bit to get them closer to the lid. They still aren't spraying directly on the lid though. I posted about it in my journal, and someone said it's just creating a humid environment, implying that the jets don't need to spray directly on the stems. Is this true?

Good looking cloner! You want the moisture hitting your stems. What size pump are you using? Are those 360* spray heads?

Good looking cloner! You want the moisture hitting your stems. What size pump are you using? Are those 360* spray heads?

Thanks! :Namaste:

The pump is ~350GPH (might be 380 can't recall, for sure in the 300's).
Yes, they are 360* sprayers. I know the splashing and all the water flying around will keep the stems wet, but I thought it would be better to have the sprayers hitting the stems directly.

I bought one of the EcoPlus 396 GPH pumps specifically for this cloner (and a smaller pump in case that one was too much), but my PVC adapter didn't fit that brand. Perhaps I'll head down to the hardware store and see if I can find a different adapter.

Has anyone used an Eco396 to make one of these? I cannot figure out how to attach the manifold to it. What part did you use, and where did you get it?

Has anyone used an Eco396 to make one of these? I cannot figure out how to attach the manifold to it. What part did you use, and where did you get it?

you need a 1/2 inch pvc adapter with a male thread with a slip fitting on other end.pics attached. Home Cheapo,Lowes or a plumbing supply house. See attached pics.
IMAG028210.jpg
IMAG028113.jpg
swing_valve.jpg

Thanks guys. I think that's the same part I am using to connect to my CAP pump. I'll give it another try with the Eco396 pump.

Hey fied how many gph are your spray heads

Thanks in advance

I found a place they have them listed by gph. some are 15gph, some 20gph and so on , 400gph pump if using 16 spray heads @ 15gph =240gph at higher pressure, 16 @20gph = 320gph at lower pressure. So I guess my what I'm asking ...... would it be better to use higher gph spray heads or the lower ones

thanks for your help :scratchinghead:

I found a place they have them listed by gph. some are 15gph, some 20gph and so on , 400gph pump if using 16 spray heads @ 15gph =240gph at higher pressure, 16 @20gph = 320gph at lower pressure. So I guess my what I'm asking ...... would it be better to use higher gph spray heads or the lower ones

thanks for your help :scratchinghead:

I didn't know that spray heads have a GPH rating so I can't answer. I don't even know what mine are. lol

Mine were 12.7gph. I'm using ~20 with a 386gph pump.

Thanks guys, the spray heads are the last thing I need to get it going. Oh yea for the neoprene wal-mart has a pad in the camping section to put on the ground under your sleeping bag that's almost 1/2" thick

Don't worry about the gph rating of the spray heads. Just make sure they are 360 sprayers. Then use the flow adjustment on the pump if it has one or put a swing valve just above the pump and adjust to your liking,check my photo on the previous page. I have made 4 of these cloners now and I have three different spray heads and I couldn't tell you the gph ratings of any of them,doesn't really mean anything if you can adjust the water flow going to them.

Back
Top Bottom