DIY bungee cords

Hey folks wanted to share another grow room/garage/life tip.

Everyone loves to use bungee cords, the elastic ropes with clips on the end, not the death defying kind.
Like these

The only problem is finding one the right length. We've all been there, you want to pull something out of the way, a door, a hatch, a lid, none of your straps fit. Or you need a really long one to hold your kayak, or strap bags onto your roof rack for a camping trip.

I use them for all sorts of things in the grow room as well.
from scrog nets

To hanging my carbon filters.
(Yes I know my prefilters are dirty)

So here's how to make your own custom length bungee cords. I get my supplies from a place called Paracord planet. I'm sure there are other places to find the same things.

You'll need a roll of "shock cord" a normal bungee cord is 1/4" there are smaller and larger sizes available, I use the 1/2" to hold up my 8" carbon filters. You'll also need some end hooks, there are a handful to choose from I'll show the most common and the two I use here.

The easiest and most handy are the wire hooks, everyone has seen these.

Cut your cord to your desired length, I use a utility knife, or my Milwaukee tube cutters.

Tie a knot in one end,

Slide both hooks on facing in opposite directions

Knot the other end and you now have a cord of your desired length. It's just that simple.

The other hooks I've found very handy are these little plastic ones.
They hook onto the cord very nicely and they're cheap

These are a little bit more work to put together but they use less cord because no knots and they cost less per hook so if you don't have to have the metal hooks these are a great choice.

You'll need a lighter and some needle nose pliers.
Cut your cord to length

Melt the nylon sheathing to prevent unraveling

First slide the locking collar onto the rope.

Insert the end into the hook, it's a tight fit for the 1/4" stuff, twist and wiggle it back and forth. Once it's fully seated into the hook, start the collar onto the base.

Use the needle nose pliers to squeeze the lock tabs into the hook and push the collar into place.

Repeat for the other end and enjoy your new custom length bungee cords. If you have any questions feel free to ask. Also post up your grow room uses for bungee cords. :ganjamon:

Or you need a really long one to hold your kayak

I'd love to be able to bungee my yak. Bastage is 100lbs though, so nope. (I did rig up a game hoist to get it up and into the cradle though. lol)

Well isn't that cool. I've ordered items from paracord planet before for work, but never looked at the bungee section.

I have got a LOT of paracord from those guys for fishing/camping. Looks like it's time to get some bungee too! :D

I'd love to be able to bungee my yak. Bastage is 100lbs though, so nope. (I did rig up a game hoist to get it up and into the cradle though. lol)

I have got a LOT of paracord from those guys for fishing/camping. Looks like it's time to get some bungee too! :D

The 1/2" bungee I have will hold 85lbs of kids hanging on it haha might be close they have a 5/8 bungee as well but no end hooks for it.

Back
Top Bottom