DIY COB help

Jimmy did you hear him? He just did that for people's attention haha xD thanks for letting me drop in Jim that was too funny watching zobe get burnt like that.. like my mother always used to say to me.. zobe.. your adopted

Sent from my SM-J320FN using 420 Magazine Mobile App
Not burned as my first post was to see what or how smart people are on here and i can say there is a very limited amount.

Some will argue as to who those people are.

I for one am in the smart class.

Red/Blue OP

A Licenced Medicinal Cannabis User

Anyway. As I was going to mention earlier. The reason for most people selecting the 4000k Vero chips over the 3000k or 3500k is because Vero 29's run slightly red shifted compared to Cree and Citizen chips. So buying a 4000k Vero is like buying a 3500k CXB. Unfortunately not all Kelvin measurements are created equal and furthermore...we're not worried about kelvin. Plants don't see it. They see PAR.

Here's an overlay of the the CBX (coloured graph) vs the Vero 29. (Black line graph)
420-magazine-mobile680285212.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1063550883.jpg
420-magazine-mobile1095019946.jpg

I had to drop the height on the overlay for the Vero. Looking at peaks anyway.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Red/blue isn't best xobe, 4000k as Jimmy stated a perfect middle ground and gets great results based on a bunch of grow journals! I already augment with an 8 lamp 4ft fixture t5ho UV-B with my MH/HPS and if need be with the COBs I can add some pure bloom agro max if I feel like there isn't enough red. There's a reason I reached out to Jimmy, I have seen the results he gets and has impressed me thus far. As they say a picture is worth 1000 words!

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Got most of the stuff ordered, few things were back ordered, gives me time to dig through my scrap pile and fire up the TiG welder to build a frame! I'm thinking 4 rows of 10 COBs with the inner two and outer two being on separate circuits to be able to run from seedling to harvest as efficiently as possible.

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

You get 8 COBs per driver so you may have to backrun some wire to the next frame in case you want to break down the frame in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using 420 Magazine Mobile App

After my short hiatus (health issues, all good now) I wanted to post a quick thank you for your help and update, due to the money I saved up being used for emergency dental surgery a COB rig is now on the back burner, BUT in the past few months I have since scored a great deal on 4 315w sunsystem CMH fixtures and have been baffled by the results vs my old hps!

That would be close to double the cost of the COBs!

Sent from my iPad using 420 Magazine Mobile App

Not trying to troll, but if search around you could get them for $300 a piece. Picked mine up from a local store for 299 out the door. So that's $1800 for 6. I'm sure he would have gave me an even better price if I bought 6.

However, they get pretty hot and I'm actually looking into COBs myself for the summer, then switching back to the LEC during the winter.

Not trying to troll, but if search around you could get them for $300 a piece. Picked mine up from a local store for 299 out the door. So that's $1800 for 6. I'm sure he would have gave me an even better price if I bought 6.

However, they get pretty hot and I'm actually looking into COBs myself for the summer, then switching back to the LEC during the winter.

I don't trust cheap lighting, I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for and don't want to risk burning down my house over a few hundred saved on a cheap LEC. I ended up getting 4 sunsystem fixtures for a great deal and am using a pair of 600w hps also. With the HPS being sealed hood and the LEC being open I have had zero heat issues so far. Then again I also have a very efficient HVAC system in my house and didn't skimp on ventilation for my grow room! I will some day have my COB rig, until then I'll make do with what I've got!

I don't trust cheap lighting, I'm a big believer in you get what you pay for and don't want to risk burning down my house over a few hundred saved on a cheap LEC. I ended up getting 4 sunsystem fixtures for a great deal and am using a pair of 600w hps also. With the HPS being sealed hood and the LEC being open I have had zero heat issues so far. Then again I also have a very efficient HVAC system in my house and didn't skimp on ventilation for my grow room! I will some day have my COB rig, until then I'll make do with what I've got!

I hear ya brotha! I don't like buying ghetto rigged stuff either. That's why I made sure the components of the kit were quality. 315w kit came with a SunSystem 315 Neutron hood, a 315w Galaxy Ballast which I believe is made by SunSystem as well, and Phillips bulbs. I run a smaller tent so I opted for a remote ballast option for the space. I did have to buy the other bulb separately though. Which I ended up doing right before my current grow.

I definitely need to step up my HVAC skills, but I think I'm done dumping $ for a while since I just purchased a home. In all honesty I grow because I enjoy it. I don't even smoke lol. I just give it away to friends who in return sometimes buy me nutes, beer, lunch etc. I've been hinting on building a COB so maybe they'll chip in for that .

I hear ya brotha! I don't like buying ghetto rigged stuff either. That's why I made sure the components of the kit were quality. 315w kit came with a SunSystem 315 Neutron hood, a 315w Galaxy Ballast which I believe is made by SunSystem as well, and Phillips bulbs. I run a smaller tent so I opted for a remote ballast option for the space. I did have to buy the other bulb separately though. Which I ended up doing right before my current grow.

I definitely need to step up my HVAC skills, but I think I'm done dumping $ for a while since I just purchased a home. In all honesty I grow because I enjoy it. I don't even smoke lol. I just give it away to friends who in return sometimes buy me nutes, beer, lunch etc. I've been hinting on building a COB so maybe they'll chip in for that .

I wish I had remote ballast models, I'm sure a good portion of the heat comes from them! Are you using the 3100k or 4200k bulbs?

I just got lucky and bought a house that belonged to the son of a HVAC company owner and he definitely didn't spare any expense on the cooling (who in their right mind would anyway in Southern California). As for my "tent" (really just a 10x10 room within a room compliments of panda film and tarp zippers) I just have 3 dinky like 100cfm 6" booster fans pushing air in and one big 8" adjustable speed squirrel cage adapted down to 6" at the hoods to pull the heat out of the top of the tent.

Just switched to the 3100k. The ballast gets crazy hot. I would have had to upgrade my tent asap if I had the ballast mounted in the tent.

The ladies are almost at 30 days and they're autos so they're growing kind of quick still not flowering so I definitely jumped the gun.

I'm in SoCal myself so I'm preparing for the September October heat waves. Getting AC installed on Friday, just have to make sure they plumb the AC to the garage as well. Then again my tent is tiny. 32x32 a full 12in smaller than recommended tent size for the 315w.

OK back on topic. Go COBs!

Not trying to hijack the thread but just wanted to thank jimmyclone and JimmyJames for turning me onto cobs. I just finished building my light using 8 BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE 's.

I wish I had found all this cob awesomeness before I bought my other leds, there is just no comparison imho. Thanks again Jimmys!!

BobG

Not trying to hijack the thread but just wanted to thank jimmyclone and JimmyJames for turning me onto cobs. I just finished building my light using 8 BXRC-30G10K0-D-73-SE 's.

I wish I had found all this cob awesomeness before I bought my other leds, there is just no comparison imho. Thanks again Jimmys!!

BobG

Hijack away! Glad they were able to help! One day I'll break away from HID!! Lol

He was using the Vero 29's, I have a 5x10 space in the room I use for my main area I'd like to cover, I just don't think 2 600w MH/HPS is giving me the best bang for the buck

Sent from my Nexus 6 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

They are giving you the best bang for your buck. I know I might start a war but THC and terpene production from MH/HPS are better for bud quality and yield.

If you don't mind the extra running cost stick with it. 600w cover enough space in a tent your size.

I haven't tried LEDs COBs and don't think I'm going to top what I'm doing now using them. The cost is the only thing that appeals but for the sake of saving on the electric bill (and then to lose yield) doesn't suit my scenario!!

But I'm going to give it a go in the near future just to show HPS rules ;)

Back
Top Bottom