DIY Reverse Osmosis - For Small Scale Grower - Cheap, Portable, & Effective

I read on the net the starter is 3 and the refills are 10. I get water for a buck for 5 gallons in the machines so not worth it to me but it is a great idea. I would love to have something like that inline for the hard house water. I would need filters that would last longer though.

alien8, this would not be a good idea for a homes in-line system. This is only good for doing a couple gallons at a time. Sorry to say it, but keep looking.

yea yea I was looking into this thing for the house called a zetarod. Google it I think that might work but the company is a pita to deal with. I asked them for a local installer and they didn't get back to me. I thought people needed work, but I am wrong cause to get someone to work around here you can drop dead. They advertise these nice security screens on tv and I have called and emailed to no avail.

Worked really well for me given the position I was in and how far I was from a corner store or larger store for that matter. Check my journal...
I just started back using water from a refill station so the Mr Clean contraption is done. I was able to get approx 15 gallons from the first filter it came with before numbers became unacceptable (136-148 ish). I never had a chance to finish using the replacement though.

You are amazing , I can't wait to try it out on my water ( the ppm's here are in the high 400's ) ...I have an R/O system but its small so it takes a day and a half to fill my resivoir which isn't a big deal but this would make it so much faster and I would have a better option than keeping a back up filled in case of emergancy flushing , very nice

I saw this post and immediately went to my garage and found this device, as my dad absolutely loves ordering stuff from TV. I have yet to take it apart. My tap water is normally 200-300ppm. Anyway I filled a few gallons up with this thing after letting it run for a minute to get any soap out of it, anyway my PPM meter said the water didnt loose any PPM at all. All I have is the starter filter so maybe thats why? I dont even think it was used since everything was still in original packaging. Is it necessary for me to rebuild the thing into the device you have above to get lower PPM?

You don't have to rebuild it at all.

Just connect it to the hose.

The "starter" filter only lasts for a few gallons, depending on the hardness of your water, so you may want to get some of the "10-use" filters.

This Mr. Clean product has been discontinued, so the price on those filters is going up.

Ledtester, this is the friggin bomb, dude!!! I was looking for a cheap easy way to do this and whala!! TYVM!! I would rep you but you don't have a cauliflower thing yet to do that!

Thanks guys, I figured out my problem was I did not have the units back Knob thing set to the filter, thats why i wasnt getting filtered water, lol stupid me. Now the unit works great!! This thing was definetly worth the 5$ i spent on the filter

Very cool...what does reducing the ppm solids and dissolved solids do to the ph of the water?

I thought I saw reduces it but not sure..

Thanks!

:peacetwo:

Very cool...what does reducing the ppm solids and dissolved solids do to the ph of the water?

The ideal is to have pure water to put in the res. The pH of pure PURE water is 7, by definition alone and nothing else. Theoretically pure, pure water is the reference point on the pH scale, so it can't vary from 7.

Prairie

I used a few of these they were Ok.. but the 10 use ones would get me around 10 gallons if that and then it would go right back to the high ppm...Anyways I tried to get more and not a store around has them all sold out...too bad as they were good for what they did...too bad we can`t get our hands on something else as simple as this...

In my research about this topic, I found a nifty little item that could significantly help a small grower with water purity.

It's called ZeroWater. There is a pitcher and a larger, 23 cup fridge dispenser that puts all water through a 5 stage purifying process much like reverse osmosis.

The end result is water that is void of all dissolved solids and pure by EPA or FDA standards. (can't remember which) Hence...."zero water" TDS.

I've got my cab alllllmmmmooooosssstttt done and I think I'll get one of these with my amazon gift cards I got for xmas. ;)

I know I won't go through 23 cups of water per watering/feeding so I think it will work perfectly. I'll adjust the ph down a little to where it needs to be and I'll take out one of the problems that could occur with my grow.

It would be nice to get 2 oz's per plant...mmmm...can't wait to get started.

:nicethread:

Sitting in a plastic bucket were my son's car washing supplies, and right on top was the "MrClean AutoDry" carwash system. It's really a ridiculous contraption.....
So here's the bottom line... The unit with a starter filter can be found on sale for well below 20 bucks USD. And even less if purchased online.

Fast forward....2017
$70

Back
Top Bottom