Drying

Hi 6thsense... If the area temp where you are drying the bud is cool as well you should be fine, If temps where higher and the humidty was low like that I would worry about drying out too fast.

You will be ok. When the sugar leaves are stiff on the outside you can think about trimming. The buds dry from the outside in so when the outside is dry the insides are not which is good. Just dont let them get over dried. You cant fix that.

You will be ok. When the sugar leaves are stiff on the outside you can think about trimming. The buds dry from the outside in so when the outside is dry the insides are not which is good. Just dont let them get over dried. You cant fix that.
the last sentence.... You can't fix that. I'm fairly new. I've been advised both ways on the Bovida packs.
1; use them to keep the RH at 65% after drying
2; Don't use them because they mess up the trichomes.
I used them on my last harvest before I read not to use them. My outdoor harvest was pretty good for my standards lol. but I'm at the crossroads of weather to put them in my outdoor grow or not. thoughts? Some of the smaller stuff dried up pretty fast but the bigger stuff is ok for now.

:passitleft:
20201006_105434.jpg20201007_104543.jpg20201007_104758.jpg20201007_104815.jpg20201007_161209.jpg20201007_161224.jpg20201007_162033.jpg20201007_162039.jpg20201007_162047.jpg20201007_162049.jpg

What would you guys say the average drying time is ? My plants have been hanging for 2 days and im really worried about over drying which I did on my 1st harvest and had to make butter out of my entire harvest

Got a hygrometer? Stick it in a jar with some of the bud and put a lid on. Within a couple hours you’ll have a good idea how dry it is.

Generally around 60 for cured bud. My drying room usually stays around a
60 RH- therefore I normally dry to around 60 before jarring, but many jar sooner (wetter) and then gradually dry it further by ‘burping’ the jars.
Don’t jar it unless it’s lower than 70.
Don’t dry it more than 55 or so.

the humidity here is 38% . Will this be an issue drying my bud ?

Regardless of the RH, stuff dries slower in a small space than in a large one. If it seems like your buds are in danger of drying too quickly, stick them into a box or something. You can always use some dental floss, string, etc. to hang them in it unless it's a really small box (or you've just harvested a really nice amount - for which they have refrigerator boxes ;) ).

Back in the day, a great many buds did some of their drying in paper grocery sacks. Slowly. Buds got cured nicely back then - and they sure didn't have Boveda packs to help with that. The perfect drying process is right on the edge of "whoops, mold." Unfortunately... it's right on the edge of "whoops, mold." So most people dry too quickly and then wonder why it's still green.

Regardless of the RH, stuff dries slower in a small space than in a large one. If it seems like your buds are in danger of drying too quickly, stick them into a box or something. You can always use some dental floss, string, etc. to hang them in it unless it's a really small box (or you've just harvested a really nice amount - for which they have refrigerator boxes ;) ).

Back in the day, a great many buds did some of their drying in paper grocery sacks. Slowly. Buds got cured nicely back then - and they sure didn't have Boveda packs to help with that. The perfect drying process is right on the edge of "whoops, mold." Unfortunately... it's right on the edge of "whoops, mold." So most people dry too quickly and then wonder why it's still green.
Maybe ill try that when I get home. Im using a 2’x 2’ tent to dry once I sealed up the tent good rh went up to 60%

That's the plant matter drying (moisture has to go somewhere). If you've got an exhaust fan there, and a digital timer, you can set it up to run a few minutes every so often - with the goal being to carry away the excess humidity without making it - and keeping it - so dry in there that your buds dry out too quickly. You'll need to play around with the settings, and it might take you a couple harvests to get a feel for things. But you'll probably learn how to dry your harvests reasonably slowly without having to constantly worry about mold. It's like most things, practice helps. A long slow dry that turns into a cure allows the chlorophyll to be converted into other things. Bud loses much of its green color and the taste improves markedly.

That's the plant matter drying (moisture has to go somewhere). If you've got an exhaust fan there, and a digital timer, you can set it up to run a few minutes every so often - with the goal being to carry away the excess humidity without making it - and keeping it - so dry in there that your buds dry out too quickly. You'll need to play around with the settings, and it might take you a couple harvests to get a feel for things. But you'll probably learn how to dry your harvests reasonably slowly without having to constantly worry about mold. It's like most things, practice helps. A long slow dry that turns into a cure allows the chlorophyll to be converted into other things. Bud loses much of its green color and the taste improves markedly.
I have 2 more plants Ill be harvesting in the next 2 weeks . Hopefully the learning curve isn’t too steep

Always keep some air flow going. Never enclose moist buds in any sealed space. With the paper bag/box method there’s a certain amount of air exchange and also the grower has tend the situation regularly. People have good daily’s with that technique though. There’s also a way of doing it inside a fridge which seems to work great- if you have a spare fridge or don’t mind getting your regular one smelly

I dry on screens inside a small fridge I converted to a drying box. It has vent holes on all sides.

Back
Top Bottom