Dual hose portable AC question

ScrogNub

Tried googling but....

Hey so I need a new portable AC unit for my room rebuild. Almost hit the checkout button but want to know
if a dual hose AC unit can also operate as a single hose by just not venting the 2nd hose out a window and have
it operate as my current single hose unit does now. Reason I ask is it gets like -30-40c (-31-40f) here in the winter
which would freeze the AC unit if I have read correctly. So would need to not do that and run it basically as a single hose
in winter months and dual hose summer months with some bottles.
Thanks!

:nomo:

Some can. Be a good idea to get the brand and model number, then email the manufacturer and ask. Likely issues to watch out for are: Air conditioner starts pulling air in through gaps/openings in the walls, under the door, etc. due to negative pressure. Air conditioner stops functioning properly (although it'd probably still be running) if the space is completely sealed. Condenser doesn't get cooled enough. Compressor doesn't get cooled enough and overheats. Fire.

Just out of curiosity, if you've got such wonderful weather in Winter, why do you need an air conditioner?

Double insulated, double plastic dry walled then white poly grow attic. Still the warmest room of the house year round.
Last grow had heat issues (summer)..... previous to that in the journal that also had "some" (winter)heat issues.

This grow I'm using the whole 10x20 space. Taking all my stuff out, computer, music gear, fridge ect. on this half where I am sitting right now. Just in the middle of cleaning / procrastinating and posting this.

my 4x4 attic tent for clones arrived few mins ago. the remainder 16 x 10 attic shaped space will be my flower area.
maybe with the full room the buffer will be a bit better and can get away with my current AC.
Also putting in a window in the next week or 2 (when I stop being lazy) so extra hoses out ability may help.

Debating 3 x1000w DE mh/hps OR 3x1000w de CMH. or pulling the trigger on 2.5k worth of proper LEDs for less heat.

Would love to run a cold air in hot air out fan system but not sure how to do that properly without accidentally coming home to a 40g res that is a solid block of ice and plants with icicles hanging off them and or a frozen/ruined fans all the time.

There are temperature-controlled 120V relays, if you wanted to have your exhaust fan run when your grow space is above a set temperature. Also things such as thermostatically-controlled duct dampers and vents. If you wanted to get fancy, you could run your exhaust into a large-diameter duct with your intake duct being smaller and placed inside the exhaust so as to preheat the incoming air a bit. That would take some figuring, though.

You ever thought about exhausting your hot air into your main living space, and running an intake duct to another part of that main living space? Issue solved, plus "free" heat. Which, if it drops to -40°, you could surely use.

Also things such as thermostatically-controlled duct dampers and vents.

What is this sorcery? o_O This could work not even hard to do or expensive to make... I would be worried about the fan closer thing that blocks the air freeze open or closed hmm... I'll have to look for one made to be used through a wall and not so much made for air reducing inside a home.

Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom