Early harvest of male pollen

Ganjagrowergu

I have one male in my 12/12 from seed grow. Flowers are not open. From what I understand there is viable pollen in those flowers now.....
Question... If I harvest the male and dry it right now, could I save the pollen for making some seeds? I know that water kills pollen, but does the drying process degrade it too much? Perhaps if I clipped and dried just the flowers?
Anyone with experience would be appreciated.
Peace.

Thank you.
Went a different direction altogether. I handled the male a bit, pinched near the flowers and noticed an extreme lack of odor. Sadly that, coupled with slower growth than I really like to see led me to cull him. There will be stronger phenos out there, and I'm still not sitting too bad for seed stock...

Peace

In the past I’ve cut them and stuck them in a glass of water, above a bowl or piece of paper. They lived for weeks and produced enough pollen to work with.

In the past I’ve cut them and stuck them in a glass of water, above a bowl or piece of paper. They lived for weeks and produced enough pollen to work with.

Thank you for the suggestion. I may try that with my next strong male. This one just wasn't all that impressive.

If I pull a male out of my tent (12/12
lighting) will he continue to produce pollen if I can't stick with the light cycle, or could i possibly end up with some weird male intersex deal if I let him live too long? Just curious now.
After growing and seeking guidance online for a bit, it seems there are as many ways to grow as there are phenotypes. Hell, one of my girls is planted in an old hospital sock full of coco and gets nothing but runoff from my hempys, which only get maxibloom. Weird stuff, I love it
She's a lil bit older now, roots are beautiful too

Oh yeah I remember seeing somewhere you mentioned you were going to grow in that sock. That’s cool. I did a couple runs with tiny containers and it was a lot of fun. I’ve always put my male cutting under 1212 with a CFL and a timer. I didn’t put much work into it, there were light leaks and stuff , but I am almost certain that you would get some pollen out of it even if it was put under longer days for lighting. It won’t turn around right away, They tend to produce a lot of pollen, and a little pollen goes a long way.

That freaking sock plant, it gets the worst pH and leftovers. Its not a Hempy like the majority of my plants, So I imagine its getting some buffer from the coco. I'm always so busy or I would post more pics... Took me an hour to write this.

Thank you for the suggestion. I may try that with my next strong male. This one just wasn't all that impressive.

lighting) will he continue to produce pollen if I can't stick with the light cycle, or could i possibly end up with some weird male intersex deal if I let him live too long? Just curious now.
After growing and seeking guidance online for a bit, it seems there are as many ways to grow as there are phenotypes. Hell, one of my girls is planted in an old hospital sock full of coco and gets nothing but runoff from my hempys, which only get maxibloom. Weird stuff, I love it

get some decent pots,man!!

This is my budget grow, homie. Only thing I bought was maxibloom. Just so you are aware that sock plant is taller and actually seems healthier than at least two of my other plants. If I had money for pots, I would have pots.
That's not really what this thread is about at all. I only asked how early I could harvest a male and still get viable pollen.

This is my budget grow, homie. Only thing I bought was maxibloom. Just so you are aware that sock plant is taller and actually seems healthier than at least two of my other plants. If I had money for pots, I would have pots.
That's not really what this thread is about at all. I only asked how early I could harvest a male and still get viable pollen.
Im sure you can "pick up" pots somewhere for free. Not criticising you,btw

I know you're not. I just like to do the recycle thing. The sock is actually a seed that probably shouldn't have even germed. Lol. I'm thinking about 1ga smart pots full of coco fed by Hempy runoff. Pinching pennies all day long.

Peace

Speaking of pinching pennies. My pollen was viable and I really didn't think it would be after 4 days in a kitchen cupboard in a small manila envelope.
I crushed the dry flower heads with a q-tip and pollinated with apparent success. Got messy and one other girl got it too, but free seeds is free seeds.

I'm done here now. Mission accomplished

Peace

Back
Top Bottom