Ex-Cop Snatches Up Marijuana Web Domains

MedicalNeed

As California gears up for a vote on the legalization of marijuana, one former police officer is stocking up on web domains he can later sell to would-be legal dope dealers.

Kevin Faler, a former police officer who once worked the narcotics beat, told the New York Times that if Proposition 19 passes, which he believes it will, these pot-themed URLs will be in high demand.

He's already bought the rights to over 1,000 URLs, including icecreammarijuana.com, marijuanapastry.com and potfordogs.com "because dogs get cancer too."

"Marijuana domain name values will fly off the charts once Prop 19 passes," said Faler, 49. "I'm hoping to make enough money to buy a condo in Morocco. That's how big it's going to be."

And he's not the only one. Jordan Zazzara of Long Island is quickly buying up URLs that combine marijuana with California place names. The 21-year-old has bought up 100 domains like beverlyhillsmarijuana.com and modestocannabis.com.

He told the New York Times he won't sell them right away, but will wait until legal pot becomes more commonplace and the sites go up in value.

"I'll sit on them for as long as I have to," he said. "And when marijuana is an accepted thing like alcohol, which it eventually will be, these things will be worth a lot."

Californians head to the polls Nov. 19 to vote on Prop 19, a ballot measure that would legalize up to an ounce of pot for recreational use.

Polls leading up to the vote have been generally split down the middle, with supporters in the lead until recent weeks. The latest from the Public Policy Institute of California showed 49% opposed and 44% in favour.

NewsHawk: MedicalNeed:420 MAGAZINE
Source:cnews.canoe.ca
Author: QMI Agency
Contact: CANOE -- CNEWS - Canada's Web Source For News And Information
Copyright: 2010, Canoe Inc.
Website:Ex-cop snatches up marijuana web domains - World - Canoe.ca

Hey just wanted to say hello, it's me Kevin! Being featured in the NY Times this week has really been an experience, although I have been featured in other just an important news articles....this one has been reproduced about 2000 times across the nation. I wanna go by the rules here, so if you need to get a hold of me please look at my profile....thank Kevin

Hi Kevin... You do realize that what you are doing is wrong on so many levels?

If squatters didn't gather up a bazillion domain names hoping to extort cash from business owners, then the people that actually need the domain names could use them.

Squatters are the dicks of the internet.

My first thought was, "It will probably spark a debate here about whether this type of thing is acceptable or not (to the community, I mean; I know it is in the business sense), but it is something that any of us could have done at any time."

But then I followed the link in your contact information. Asking $200,000?

You're not... greedy or anything, are you?

I guess you won't be marketing these things to us little people.

My first thought was, "It will probably spark a debate here about whether this type of thing is acceptable or not (to the community, I mean; I know it is in the business sense), but it is something that any of us could have done at any time."

But then I followed the link in your contact information. Asking $200,000 for marijuanafounder dot com?

You're not... greedy or anything, are you?

I guess you won't be marketing these things to us little people.

Ha, me thinks kevvy is trolling in the wrong waters... unless, of course, he's sitting on GoodShit.com :tokin:

:peace:

Just a reminder to keep this conversation Cannabis related. So far so good :cool:

You know how easily I wander, don't you? :)

I remember when the internet was a lot younger... right after Al Gore invented it... anyway, some guy said he was auctioning off the ovaries of top models on his site. There was so much controversy and so much attention. The guy never did auction any eggs, but after all of the attention he sold his domain name for $7,000,000.00

:peacetwo:

Dang a lotta haters out there, well can you really blame me? Am I treading the murky waters of the so called enemy? If I sell MarijuanaFounder....dot com for one Peso.....I guess...in some peoples view I have did wrong....Anyway, I am voting, "Yes" on prop. 19 in the morning right here in Menifee, CA. MSJC. I have always been heartfelt for cancer patients and others who have life threatening diseases. Or any American who has the right to do what he/she wants to do in their own home, after all "A mans house is his castle.".........Kev

well can you really blame me?

Nope, lol.

It's not like you're selling a glass of water to a man who's dying of thirst. What you have for sale isn't necessary in any market by any stretch of the imagination. I just saw that asking price and though it seemed kind of mercenary.

But I suppose if you don't manage to sell those things at the prices you are hoping for within a reasonable amount of time, you'll be open to negotiation - or you'll decide to keep them. <SHRUGS> Capitalism at work.

It's just a marketing thing anyway, IMHO, or handy for someone who can manage to type a subject into their browser's address bar but can't quite figure out how to do the same thing into a Google box.

An artificially created value: You can't eat it, smoke it, or sleep with it, lol.

Would I have done it? I didn't a while back when someone else grabbed a few (and I - and everyone else - had the chance to do what you're doing, but didn't). If my best friend did it, would they still be my best friend? <LAUGHING> Of course he would. But in about a year, I'd expect HIM to buy the baloney sandwiches for lunch.

There are probably lots of people that will read this thread and think, "Why didn't I think of that?" because they might have done it if they had.

If you want to see a real example of how to p*ss us off, check out this thread:
Caveat Emptor (Buyer Beware) Hydro Grow LED!

Just... If you choose to advertise them here (I don't consider your posts in this thread as such since you're just responding to the original post), it would be a good idea to talk to Rob about becoming a sponsor.

PS Thank you for voting YES. Many will appreciate it. Some will not. We are each of us individuals, with different ideas about what is "right."

I say good job Kannibis Kev. I was the one that thought " Wow, that is so smart. " America is so full of get quick skeems that even the ones that work are played out and monopalized. It's people like you that drive America to want thier own piece of the pie. There will always be " haters " so just brush them off. Use a couple hundereds for a broom is you need to. Just so we stay in forum rules... Good job scooping up those "cannibis" related URLs!

Mr. zbestdomains, have you ever arrested anyone for cannabis possession? have you ever separated any children from their parents because of cannabis possession? have you ever pointed a fire arm at someone for cannabis possession? have you ever testified against someone for cannabis possession? has anyone youve ever been involved with, in any criminal case gone to prison because of cannabis possession?

Back
Top Bottom