Experimenting with HID lights for cars - Cheap

Canresearcher

I am currently experimenting with a small grow setup using 6000K ( temp actually closer to 6400K than it is to 6000K) 55W (47-50W) actual output rated Automotive HIDs as the main light source. So far so good. Because I am distributing the heat over multiple (4 total) individual lamps I can keep the heating in the test grow box to a minimum. A single fan takes care of any heating near the lamp surface with ease! 4x 50W =~190-200W realistically for total output @ around 4200Lmx4 ~ 16800 lumens total output or there abouts.

Cost = $110-120 total including bulbs.

Automotive HIDs can also be run from 12- 24Vdc so there is also an idea of being able to use these off grid. :)

I look forward to hearing if anyone else has tried these for small closet grows or getting saplings moving along quicker than say with CFLs?

doing a second test with these ballasts. This time using an oscilloscope. The ballasts are pulsed DC with about a 5v or so AC ripple from the switching of the MOSFET.

This leads to an exciting possibility!
Paralleling these to run a larger bulb should also be possible. (I am able to run the ballasts at a higher voltage ~15.3V input which would give me 100.7Vdc. Perfect for driving a 315W CMH)
Larger MH or CMH tubes require ~100Vdc @ 3.15 -5A ( mid power CMH is best around 3.15A@ 100V.)

The starting voltage of 1 ballast ( excluding the ignitor) is around 90-98VDC, as the ignitor stops, the voltage drops to ~86Vdc and current ramps to ~350-400mA.

Paralleling these ballasts will ( in theory) allow for higher currents.

Tried this ages back. I found that HID bulbs are super delicate and cant take abuse like regular home/garden HID bulbs.

One tip, you can make a reflector with a beer can. Line the inside with mylar, and cut out a rectangle on half the can. Think of a cool tube. Works perfect. Some HID bulbs have reflectors built in and its will throw off the beam pattern of the light, so pay attention to that too.

Tried this ages back. I found that HID bulbs are super delicate and cant take abuse like regular home/garden HID bulbs.

One tip, you can make a reflector with a beer can. Line the inside with mylar, and cut out a rectangle on half the can. Think of a cool tube. Works perfect. Some HID bulbs have reflectors built in and its will throw off the beam pattern of the light, so pay attention to that too.

yes, true. However going a step above it is possible (if they're DC output ballasts which most cheap ones are) is the ability to parallel the ballasts to run larger bulbs. So far I have been able to run 250W MH lamp from 4 ballasts in the paralleled setup. ~198.6W actual input. AC ballasts are a no go.

Looked at that already. Those LED bars are using very monochromatic LEDs and additionally they are poorly protected against premature burnout. Most of these are just direct drive LEDs which will guarantee a very short life. ( most are being overdriven).

IF LED is the way to want to go, I suggest looking into getting a Cree Xlamp 3590 series emitter. They're a 150W LED with a output of 18K lumens. They need a very large Cu heat sink and a PSU capable of delivering 36-70Vdc @ 5-6A. Having a decent heatsink will ensure a long life out of your LED.

Ahh i see...yea im just going to get the Reflective 96 series from MH. Just moved and all my tools and what not got stolen. Long story short, its going to be tough for me build or do anything custom at this point.

Back
Top Bottom