Feminized Seeds?

The Fan

Does anyone know how they make feminized seeds. I've got a few strains. i can get one of them to form little hermie flowers if i let it go about 15 days past when i really like to harvest. once read somewhere that a female plant can be stressed into herm-ing, but still only possesses female genetic material. would this make feminized seeds or is that just another crazy myth?

superb. i believe it is from stress as i had never seen this plant do anything like that for several grow cycles. i guess i'll be finding out here in a month or so. if it works out, i may be really be getting into the whole breeding thing.

thanks

If stress caused it to go hermie, that is part of the genetics.

Heck, couold even be the stress from growing a few generations under indoor lights.

There are two direct methods of obtaining female seeds, both aim for the same goal, that is, making a female a hermi and having it pollinate itself.

Method 1- Light "poisoning"- Essentially light poisoning is adding intermitent and variable periods of light in a female plants night cycle once it is on 12/12 and a good deal into flowering. This stresses the plant and makes it form male parts as well as it's female parts in order to make seeds and carry on the plant's lineage.

Method 2- Gibrellic Acid- This is far more complex because it is poisonous and any buds from this plant will NOT be smokeable. Also Gibrellic Acid is harmful to YOU so you should not inhale it and apply it with extreme caution. Gibrellic Acid will also cause a female plant to form male parts.

If you must have a try at making female seed, I would approve of the light "poisoning" for obvious reasons, you are not putting anything harmful on the plants, just using an erratic light schedule to reach the goal of 100% female seed.

i would say that i have used something closer to the "light poisoning" method. what i had done is forgot and left a plant (Haze) under 12/12 for about 90 days, which is about 20-25 days longer than what i had found to be ideal. i had a rotating flowering box, so while this one was in there for 90 days, there were others that had only been in there for 20 or 30 or 40 days or whatever. when i went to smoking some of the skunk and NL buds i found a few seeds, about a dozen all told. i have grown them for a while now, taking clones along the way to save space, and now believe them to be mature enough to flower. i did notice at one point, some of these plants began to show hints of female flowers, which i have read is somewhat normal for plants grown from seed (it's my first time from seed). i'll be putting them under 12/12 conditions here in a week or two and we'll see what happens. i expect most if not all of them to show female at first, but am curious to see if they will start to herm in the late stages of flower or not.

i appreciate all the advice and knowledge i've been able to get from the site, but right now it's just got to be a try it and see process. i'll be sure to let you know how it goes, grows and smokes. at one point i had 5 strains going (Ghani, Skunk, BubbleGum, Haze and NL), but lost all but the skunk. harvesting my first hydro batch of skunk on friday and hope to have some "new" strains come february. Love that skunk, but love a littel variety too.

The Fan

The way the "pros" do it is as follows:

MOHAN RAM, H. Y. and R. SETT, 1982 Induction of fertile male flowers in genetically female Cannabis sativa plants by silver nitrate and silver thiosulphate anionic complex. Theor. Appl. Genet. 62:369-375

Check it out. They tested the seeds to make sure that they were *genetically* female also.

I guess you could knock it, but it's been accepted by the Highest Orders of plant scientists.

Imagine that, been used since 1982, I guess theose breeders, and those who supposedly are "in the know" wait about ten years to read scientific articles, or go to the library.

Feminized seed is something you realy don't want after using them one time !
The story about FEMALE seed is a complete different story.

SpeesCees
Stay cool, high and take time to fly !

So my advice would be...don't believe in Herma's and/or " Feminized " seed .
Feminized seed did come forwards by using different methodes to stress the plants, but it's all coming to the same >> The Factor herma will stay <<

Feminized seeds are what most seed dealers put out on the market and they really like to up the hype on them (make them sound better than what they are). They even sell them at higher prices making the beginner think its better.
I personally think hermies are bad and would always remove them. I grow bud not seeds and most (99%) seeds from a hermie will produce more hermies.

Hi SpeesCees... I was told that using a collodial silver spray will reverse plants and create feminized seeds.. now would those seeds be 100% female or will they carry the hermi trait?

Peace
MC

Note.. I really don't like messing with feminized seeds. I prefer to do things the natural way... using regular seeds and sorting out the males from the females... but I do have one plant that I want to make more seeds of but cannot get a male of the same strain to breed it with... any suggestions?

Cross it with a similar strain and back cross it back to the original plant?
Heard this can take a while like a few plant generations.
(You are asking the right person because I have little to no breeding skills. Just what I know from what I read.

Note.. I really don't like messing with feminized seeds. I prefer to do things the natural way... using regular seeds and sorting out the males from the females... but I do have one plant that I want to make more seeds of but cannot get a male of the same strain to breed it with... any suggestions?

The best you can do is making a few clones out of her M.C., to start !
Take just one good clone if she's already producing flowering hormone.
Put it directly back on 20 hours light and let her come back in a veg state.
Ones she's that far that she did start to make grow hormones again, you are able to take a few clones again. THAT will give you time to find seed of the same strain. Sure...it's easy to take seed from her....just put her back for 5 days under 20 hours light after she was already start flowering and you may become almost quarantied a few male flowers. In fact ANY real stress will let her produce some male flowers to protect herself for not being able to have birth of seed. That's in Cannabis her nature, a pure natural effect.
But be aware....seed out of herma's wil take the herma factor stronger with her as regular seed. So.....what left is....find seed of the same strain and make sure you have some clones during that time.
Or that is all wearth it...that's the question M.C.

As far I know....you shouldn't worry and take your lost for one time. I've heart that the Christmisman is bringing you something nice. :adore:
Or was that a dream ? :smokin:

Sorry for my poor english guys.

Stay cool, high and take time to fly !

Hey, MC....

Try the silver nitrate solution tech, NOT colloidal, as it's no where near the same.

Keep it to about 100ppm, or a little less.

It will make 100% FEMALE, not "feminized" seeds, and because of the genetics of potency, the THC level will remain the same.

And you can spray the solution on just a couple of branches to get seeds only there...

Peruse the scientific paper, and maybe even some of the references in it, you'll learn alot.

Re: Feminized Seed
Hey, MC....
Try the silver nitrate solution tech, NOT colloidal, as it's no where near the same.
Keep it to about 100ppm, or a little less.
It will make 100% FEMALE, not "feminized" seeds, and because of the genetics of potency, the THC level will remain the same.
And you can spray the solution on just a couple of branches to get seeds only there...
Peruse the scientific paper, and maybe even some of the references in it, you'll learn alot.

Two things are for sure :
A/ Silver nitrate isn't to find in the plant by nature. ( like gibberrellic acid)
B/ It will give you Feminized seed instead of female seed.

A lot of seed banks are advertizing with female seed and then they make a note like : Just 1 or 2% may turn out as male :hmmmm: !?!?
What they sell is FEMINIZED instead of FEMALE seed.

Stay cool, high and take time to fly.:smokin:

Yup, know ALL about the AgNO3 tech, tried a few times, sure, made the plants a little black, when I used too much, but they quickly recovered, NONE died.

And another thing, it DEFINITELY gives only FEMALE seeds. This is for SURE, as in tested, proven.

Some others using the technique by Moham et al.:

Genetics, Vol. 163, 335-346, January 2003, Copyright © 2003

The Inheritance of Chemical Phenotype in Cannabis sativa L.
Etienne P. M. de Meijer, Manuela Bagatta, Andrea Carboni, Paola Crucitti, V. M. Cristiana Moliterni, Paolo Ranalli, and Giuseppe Mandolino

Here's a piece from their paper:
"An individual from each clone was partially sex reversed according to the procedure described by MOHAN RAM and SETT 1982 Down and allowed to self-pollinate in isolation. In many cases it was possible to collect sufficient viable seed to constitute a first-generation inbred line (S1), which was completely female and showing the same chemotype as the parental clone"

Back
Top Bottom