First Attempt At Breeding & Seed Making

Its funny u bring tht issue up cuz way back when i first started working on the strain im making right now i was wondering the same thing but yea right now im collecting pollen to add it to the cross im working on plus i want to make some more auto beans and i figured since autos r on a timed life span it wud increase chances of making premature seeds if not left to grow long enuf so i figured i wud get pollen from one plant then use the pollen on another plant from a different seed of same strain the i wud for sure have enuf time 4 the seed 2 fully develope plus not have to worry bout hermy trait passing on or increasing if all tht makes any sense lol

Makes perfect sense to me!!! Keep us apprised of how it works out!!!

Man, i cant wait to pop a new bean. Got a bunch of brown ones, but waiting at least 2 weeks for them to dry out. Im going to be calling this new seed, " Bag of Fire" Ahh. Still have 3/4th of this bush to chop,

Something else, there is alot of bud on these branches. I still just cure normally with the seeds on the stems, right? Because there is a bunch i can salvage for smoke and coconut oil extraction. Just picking out the calix shells off the seeds so not to get it in the scarps for the oil, would probably give a bad flavor, or no?

The seeds need to be matured with the plant. I would think you could take buds when the trichomes get ripe, but the seeds need to stay 4-6 weeks after pollination as I've read. So you would be leaving the flowers that were pollinated if not ready by the time the unpollinated buds were. Staggered harvest if you will.

I know some people have wood herb grinders that have pins in them that do a good job of breaking it up to get the seeds out. Then you could use the herb for oil or smoke. I can't say if the fertilized calyxes would be a bad flavor or not. I know we smoked them a lot back in the day, sometimes seeds and all. Just make the joints pop, and blow the side out. But we were not connoisseurs back then.

All the above is my opinion only base on my research.....and smoking seeded bud back when I was young and more stupid.

lol, yeahhhhh, back in the day. Remeber dropping joint loads on the carpet, BWHAHAHA, " hold on Bro, I got it",, "nope, thats a hair, nope, thats a crumb,LOL..

Been there bro,,

I dont mind pickin the seeds out, gives me something to do on my downtime.

43 days today they were pollinated, day 66 days since flipping to flower for this mother. I had 5% amber 2 weeks ago. My FireOG clone is ready to chop, going to flush for another 3 days, then 48hours dark.. 9 weeks 3 days today

lol, yeahhhhh, back in the day. Remeber dropping joint loads on the carpet, BWHAHAHA, " hold on Bro, I got it",, "nope, thats a hair, nope, thats a crumb,LOL..

Been there bro,,

43 days today they were pollinated, day 66 days since flipping to flower for this mother. I had 5% amber 2 weeks ago. My FireOG clone is ready to chop, going to flush for another 3 days, then 48hours dark.. 9 weeks 3 days today
:rofl:

I'm toying with the idea of pollinating one of my early sexing clones that showed pistils about a month ago on the 20th of March. What is the too late to pollinate point and or how do you tell. Also how isolated does it have to be from the other plants in flower? I guess I should also confirm the earliest point after a plant shows pistils that pollen can be added? Once I drop the pollen I'm guessing from what I've read that it's 4-5 weeks before mature seeds are ready for harvest???

Man, i cant wait to pop a new bean. Got a bunch of brown ones, but waiting at least 2 weeks for them to dry out. Im going to be calling this new seed, " Bag of Fire" Ahh. Still have 3/4th of this bush to chop,

Something else, there is alot of bud on these branches. I still just cure normally with the seeds on the stems, right? Because there is a bunch i can salvage for smoke and coconut oil extraction. Just picking out the calix shells off the seeds so not to get it in the scarps for the oil, would probably give a bad flavor, or no?

Seeded buds usually take longer to dry. After spending the time already no need to rush things now. Let them air dry for 3 weeks to a month. I always use the left over weed for something. Ie Butter, Hash, Shatter one thing to remember The seeded buds will not be quite as strong as unseeded just for the fact that they do not need to produce more resin just to try and catch pollen. I try to always include trim from other plants with it so quality is not a issue.

Good stuff Jack. I dryed them out on the stem, then paperbag, then picked them off, put into another paperbag, where they are now. Makes it easy to shuck too, being in small paperbag. I trimmed them pretty good, got alot of smokable out of it, and finally just chopped the rest down and hanging, so mor coming. germed 10 for the yeck of it, none popped. but like you said, no sense in rushing it, after all, this was a 170day old plant as it is, lol..

Seeds can be tricky. I had a friend harvest a whole plant of beautiful brown seeds. He has made tons of seeds before and followed the same procedures. None popped. In the end he broke a few open. They were all empty. For some reason this plant refuse's to be selfed.
One thing to remember when making seeds is to keep the plant well feed through out the flowering cycle. This will help a lot in making the seeds viable. I think it also effects male female ratio's. Most seeds grown by this breeder have a high female ratio.

threw 10 more in water, 1 sprouted, put in medium, root up, now we wait, LOL..

Pretty excited tho, I either get pollen, or flower, lol, win, win..

cant wait to see how it grows, and branches, and buds,
see a bunch of tiger stripped seeds in my next clean-up, ( have the rest of the bush hanging to dry ) and even got 60g of smokeable stuff. Thing about FireOG, its Fire, lol.. even thru the breeding bang. LOL..

Looks like the mother sure tightened up the internodes. One more time back to the mother would probably be a good idea. If you can anyway. You mention bag seed as the father but that could mean a lot of different things. A loan seed or 2 from a bag of kind bud is a lot different then a seed from a bag of smash weed. If you are unsure of the fathers genetics it would be best to back cross one more time to the Fire Og. It would improve the offspring for sure. It may even change the fire enough to improve it.

No no, Jackalop, this is the first seed of the cross i got to germinate, (in pic) the Mother is the FireOG from the tall bagseed next to it. The flowering tall plant, is a female from same bag I got the Male from to pollinate the FireOG with. I do have 2 clones of the mother FireOG, but they were in flower and taking forever to revert and root, even with clonex. SLoooooo.

the good news is, the offspring is growing differant then the FireoG did, and more like the father, which i wanted. not a huge fan of the short sqauty plants like the autos ive seen. I like the stretchier pheno, lol...

SO, i have 5 of the offsprings going, so, i should now cross a Male of the offspring with the og FireOG? or take the best female, and best male of the offspring, and cross them also?

Im totally new to this,..

I would go with the best male from the offspring then back to the Fire Og. If you cross it to itself you will get a F-2 hybrid which brings a lot more variety to the table. Not always a bad thing but it makes for a lot more work. Sounds like you are doing good so far.

well, the FireOG clone is taking forever to grow. Have a female, and a male of the offsprings. Female is 4 days into flower,( first sight of pistil) and the male just showed yesterday. It actually grew so much just last night, it bent over. Seriously, grew like 5 inches last night. Its 24 days from seed, and stinks reallllllly bad already. Might be the smelliest stalk ive had yet.. Plan on 20 days or so of flowering the male, then take him out and harvest the pollen and pollinate a SINGLE bud sight or 2.

The female that is in line with the genetics male i used for the FIreOG has colas as fat as a water bottle, 47 days into flower. This should be a nice cross.

I would go with at least one whole branch. Much easier when you can isolate it from the rest of the plant. 2 all the better. Then you can reverse what is covering the plant. To cover the pollenated branches then spray down the rest of the plant.

well, lookin nice, I love the way it grows, and the buds are giant for an OG,..
Im in flush on them, 2 weeks chop. These were 12/12 from seed, in 1 gallon fab pot, the vegging ones are 7 weeks in veg, but just transplanted from solo cups on the 10thof july, into 3 gallon fabs, and they grew a lot in 13 days. Both are female. WIll be flipping when I 48 hour darkness the fruited plants for chop. I really want to get them under the scrog, but I have to share space with the mature plants, and pull out the veggings every night so they dont flower. So im still thinking about some things.

I took 2 clones from the smelly, thick plant, and just put into clonex and a solo cup yesterday after 4 days in just RO water. Going to STS one to pollinate the other for fem seeds.

You can also just use a small paint brush to apply the silver to your plant you'll save a bunch as you put it on one spot only.;)

Now, when I speak about breeding (or just making more seeds), I talking from research, not from actual experience doing it.

I'm quite funny about the idea of taking pollen and pollinating the same plant with its own pollen. I believe (key words here), that you shouldn't pollinate the buds from the same plant the pollen came from. The chromosomal issues could be an unhappy thing. I see it as a brother and sister having a child. Genetic problems are not guaranteed, but the chance is high. I would personally pollinate another plant of the same variety. (two Northern light autos or two blueberry autos etc). I don't think breeding two seeds from the same mother as a bad thing. The chromosomal issues can arise, but the chances go down drastically by statistics.

I know some will argue this fact. But I believe some of the genetic problems people are seeing in the industry are from inbreeding a single plant.

I'm saying all of this to give an insight into the possibilities of having problems should you inbreed a single plant. Not to discourage you from doing so. I think people should do what they are comfortable with.

I have did it 2 ways with success. Both with the same mother plant. Though I have yet to grow out any seeds from the plant that was bred from 2 different clones. The ones from the plant that had half of its branches reversed the other half left female were ok. Popped fine and so far have been all female. When you use 2 different plants of the same strain to make female seeds. You will have more of the strains genetics in the seeds. You will also end up with a lower percentage of that one right plant. A lower percentage of that one plant increase's the variety you will get. In this variety better pheno's may be found. It all so confusing LMAO.
While you went to opposite end of the spectrum with your thinking. One that is probably more right then wrong. There is one other key factor to concider. While in a lot of case's genetics may be adversely effected. There are others that may have a complete opposite effect.
When a perfect Critical plant was found and selfed by a friend. The offspring was mostly all great. The thing is a totally new smell came out with the others. This new pheno is even better then the original. Breeder did nothing to effect it. It just happened. Where this one would go when selfed is a still a mystery. With this in mind. I think all this selfing of certain plants is giving us some of these new "Strains" out there. They are more gifts then great breeding. When all you have to do is self a plant to make a strain. It would be simple to do.

Been there bro,,

Funny shit. I thought carpet farming was only for crack heads. " Here's a piece" No thats a rock. " Is this one"? Better throw it in the pipe and see if it melts LMAO.

Back
Top Bottom