First grow - Kali Mist - Need help deciding training method

Qapla

So I started my first grow 31 days ago. Read tons of articles, grow journals, and just about everything I could find. I've gotten along pretty good so far, but now I need to figure out exactly what I want to do about training.

Strain: Kali Mist by Serious Seeds
Age: 31 days from seed popping, about 25 days from first good set of true leaves.
Current Height: 9.5"
Lights: 300W LED @ 18", veg spectrum only right now.
Nutrients: AN Sensi 2 part @ 1/4 strength, AN B-52 @ 1/2 strength. Voodoo juice was used the 1st 2 weeks.
Pot Size: Started in solo cup, to 1 gal plastic pot, to final 5 gal smart pot.
Medium: Sunshine Advanced #4 + 20% coarse perlite.
Grow Area: Dual 2'×4'×6' cabinets(1 for veg & 1 for bloom) About 36" of proper grow height available.

I was planning on going somewhat simple for my first grow, but I want to make sure I get a decent yield. I'm hoping to get a minimum of 2oz from this plant. I don't want to do a scrog. I also don't want to do any LST of the main stalk unless required for the yield I want.

My plan was to grow to about 5 nodes or so and FIM, let the lower shoots catch up and go into flower hopefully before I reach 12" in height as the kali mist has a strong possibility to triple in size. Right at 6 days ago I decided to go ahead and try to FIM to see if the lower shoots would catch up, but it seems the FIM may not have worked as it looks like the main stem is stretching.

In the first pic you will notice at the 3rd node below the top there are leaf stems below the shoots. This was the location of the FIM 6 days ago. Now it appears there has been vertical stretch and the top of the main stalk appears to be producing new nodes.

kali-1.jpg

kali-2.jpg

I had been planning on fimming like this and doing LST on the shoots that caught up to see if I could get a few colas with a fairly even canopy.

Judging by the pics, what would you guys do to get at least 2oz? I take it I probably need to top the main stalk somewhere now to fix the FIM, where would be best? Some guidance would be appreciated. The plant will have a 2'×2' space and can be 36" tall not including the pot. Any idea how much longer I will need to veg? Hoping to get a method figured out as I have a FMS C99 about 8 days behind this that I will do the same with. I actually just topped her last night above the 4th node instead of fimming. Thanks!

Hows it going :high-five: your doing a good job keep up the good work its looking good in the veg stage you should be toping, This will be the only way to get your 2oz+++ as you don't want to LST and the other tricks toping is a good way to get the max out of Kali Mist as its a satva dominate one to two week in flower lollipop the lover leaves and you should be rocking i do this with 1000W HPS but with your 300w LED is a good start but at some point when you want to step up your game you'll need more light

I'm not opposed to any LST, I'd just prefer not to bend over the main stalk. I don't want to risk snapping the main stalk. Where would be the best place to top to fix the FIM that didn't work? I was hoping the FIM was going to stop the vertical growth and allow the lower shoots time to grow out.

Do I really need more light for a 2'×2' area with 36" of actual vertical plant space not including the pot? From everything I read this 300w led panel was almost overkill. Can't name the brand as its not allowed. Actually, I had to keep the light a full 36" away for a few weeks after surfacing to keep from burning the plants. I'm at 18" now.

Also, almost forgot, where and when would be the best place/time to take a clone off this? I want to get a mother clone going as these seeds are expensive.

Thanks!

I'm not opposed to any LST, I'd just prefer not to bend over the main stalk. I don't want to risk snapping the main stalk. Where would be the best place to top to fix the FIM that didn't work? I was hoping the FIM was going to stop the vertical growth and allow the lower shoots time to grow out.

Do I really need more light for a 2'×2' area with 36" of actual vertical plant space not including the pot? From everything I read this 300w led panel was almost overkill. Can't name the brand as its not allowed. Actually, I had to keep the light a full 36" away for a few weeks after surfacing to keep from burning the plants. I'm at 18" now.

Also, almost forgot, where and when would be the best place/time to take a clone off this? I want to get a mother clone going as these seeds are expensive.

Thanks!

Im not big on LED I'm more a HPS your 300LED is good for one plant yes but i was saying if you want to step up your game and have more plants mother stuff like that ya you'll need more light :idea: If your still going to veg for a little start toping it now if your going to flowing soon its not going to work right. I take my clones one week in flowering when i lollipop as im striping it anyway

Thanks for the replies man, much appreciated. I've done tons of research on just about every aspect of growing, but it's still hard to figure out exactly which direction to go for training.

After thinking a bit more and staring at the plants for a while I'm starting to wonder more about LST. If that was an option would you go that route instead or would you continue topping to bring the lower branches up and lollipop later? Thinking about bending the kali mist over, but I'm worried about breaking the stem given her size/age. I'm going to repot my C99 today and I'm thinking about bending her over as well. I still definitely don't want to do a scrog yet.

By the way, I finally started a journal. Another First Grow

Thanks for the replies man, much appreciated. I've done tons of research on just about every aspect of growing, but it's still hard to figure out exactly which direction to go for training.

After thinking a bit more and staring at the plants for a while I'm starting to wonder more about LST. If that was an option would you go that route instead or would you continue topping to bring the lower branches up and lollipop later? Thinking about bending the kali mist over, but I'm worried about breaking the stem given her size/age. I'm going to repot my C99 today and I'm thinking about bending her over as well. I still definitely don't want to do a scrog yet.

By the way, I finally started a journal. Another First Grow

QUOTE ^^I'm thinking about bending her over as well lol sorry i burst out laughing when you said that

LST is a good option manifold and supercrop but i found toping the hell out of a plant does wonders and done right can make the plant pack on wight I'm sure the other techniques will works good but found toping easy. So that being said i would continue toping try scrog later just get this grow done and over with and nice journal by the way keep up the good work !!!!!

So I started my first grow 31 days ago. Read tons of articles, grow journals, and just about everything I could find. I've gotten along pretty good so far, but now I need to figure out exactly what I want to do about training.

Strain: Kali Mist by Serious Seeds
Age: 31 days from seed popping, about 25 days from first good set of true leaves.
Current Height: 9.5"
Lights: 300W LED @ 18", veg spectrum only right now.
Nutrients: AN Sensi 2 part @ 1/4 strength, AN B-52 @ 1/2 strength. Voodoo juice was used the 1st 2 weeks.
Pot Size: Started in solo cup, to 1 gal plastic pot, to final 5 gal smart pot.
Medium: Sunshine Advanced #4 + 20% coarse perlite.
Grow Area: Dual 2'×4'×6' cabinets(1 for veg & 1 for bloom) About 36" of proper grow height available.

I was planning on going somewhat simple for my first grow, but I want to make sure I get a decent yield. I'm hoping to get a minimum of 2oz from this plant. I don't want to do a scrog. I also don't want to do any LST of the main stalk unless required for the yield I want.

My plan was to grow to about 5 nodes or so and FIM, let the lower shoots catch up and go into flower hopefully before I reach 12" in height as the kali mist has a strong possibility to triple in size. Right at 6 days ago I decided to go ahead and try to FIM to see if the lower shoots would catch up, but it seems the FIM may not have worked as it looks like the main stem is stretching.

In the first pic you will notice at the 3rd node below the top there are leaf stems below the shoots. This was the location of the FIM 6 days ago. Now it appears there has been vertical stretch and the top of the main stalk appears to be producing new nodes.

kali-1.jpg

kali-2.jpg

I had been planning on fimming like this and doing LST on the shoots that caught up to see if I could get a few colas with a fairly even canopy.

Judging by the pics, what would you guys do to get at least 2oz? I take it I probably need to top the main stalk somewhere now to fix the FIM, where would be best? Some guidance would be appreciated. The plant will have a 2'×2' space and can be 36" tall not including the pot. Any idea how much longer I will need to veg? Hoping to get a method figured out as I have a FMS C99 about 8 days behind this that I will do the same with. I actually just topped her last night above the 4th node instead of fimming. Thanks!

Anon831

as mentioned by Serpent I would supercrop her. I'd do it as soon as possible. when you supercrop the first time you will almost feel sick because it feels so wrong. but believe me this alone will will increase a yield drasticly. so there is no need to be scared. what you need to do is pinch the main stalk between you pointer finger and thumb making sure to not use your nails. when you pinch it it will make a crunching noise. after you pinch it you can carefully move the top back and forth and it should lay down pretty easy. within a coupple of days she will be fully recovered and you will start to see lower branches popping out of more nodes. and already established branches will be fighting to become the main top.

this is just my thoughts and it has worked wonders for me. I've got to admit the massive nuckles formed from the supercrop is pretty cool to see. you just can't go wrong with this method as long as you make sure to pinch them first.

as for where to supercrop? if it was me I'd pinch in the center of the elongated node. pretty much at where the tops of the lower branches are so everything will be at the same height. when there are any tops that are overshadowing other branches don't be afraid to put your hands to them pinch them and push them down. after a few times of doing this you will see what all the hype is about!

I hope this helps I tend to ramble so I'm sorry if this post frustrates you! good luck!

2016-01-03_20_09_01.jpg

this is what mine look like and kinda what you are going for. an even canipy. this pic was from over a month ago after some heavy trimming of fan leafs so you can really see whats going on. I'm saving recent pics till I do my grow journal. and all I can say is these girls of mine are massive now just mad bush going on.:thumb:

you get the first sneek peek at what I'm doing!

QUOTE ^^I'm thinking about bending her over as well lol sorry i burst out laughing when you said that

LST is a good option manifold and supercrop but i found toping the hell out of a plant does wonders and done right can make the plant pack on wight I'm sure the other techniques will works good but found toping easy. So that being said i would continue toping try scrog later just get this grow done and over with and nice journal by the way keep up the good work !!!!!

Thanks man. Yeah I cracked up as I typed it, had to leave it in there.

Anon831

as mentioned by Serpent I would supercrop her. I'd do it as soon as possible. when you supercrop the first time you will almost feel sick because it feels so wrong. but believe me this alone will will increase a yield drasticly. so there is no need to be scared. what you need to do is pinch the main stalk between you pointer finger and thumb making sure to not use your nails. when you pinch it it will make a crunching noise. after you pinch it you can carefully move the top back and forth and it should lay down pretty easy. within a coupple of days she will be fully recovered and you will start to see lower branches popping out of more nodes. and already established branches will be fighting to become the main top.

this is just my thoughts and it has worked wonders for me. I've got to admit the massive nuckles formed from the supercrop is pretty cool to see. you just can't go wrong with this method as long as you make sure to pinch them first.

as for where to supercrop? if it was me I'd pinch in the center of the elongated node. pretty much at where the tops of the lower branches are so everything will be at the same height. when there are any tops that are overshadowing other branches don't be afraid to put your hands to them pinch them and push them down. after a few times of doing this you will see what all the hype is about!

I hope this helps I tend to ramble so I'm sorry if this post frustrates you! good luck!

No frustration at all brother, appreciate the detailed response. I'm actually going to give it a shot tonight, looks like exactly what I want. I'll keep an eye out for your journal.

One last thing I was wondering about today, final height after stretch. I've read all about typical indica/sativa stretch, but I got to wondering how plant training and multiple colas affect that. Lets say an untrained sativa will go from 12" to 36" during flower, is that going to change after training for multiple colas? Would my kali mist not triple in size after topping and super cropping to get a bushy even canopy? I could see how it may not due to having to supply energy to many equally dominant branches instead of most of the energy to a single main branch.

I had my name changed too, btw.

Qapla,

I do belive you can continue to supercrop through the stretch to help keep them shorter. if she is gunna stretch that much I'm sure you will not be able to midagate it completely but you should be able to keep her much shorter than she would naturally. I couldn't tell you an exact number as to how much less she will stretch. but just keep supercroping they bounce back supper fast so don't be scared.

I've seen a few vidios of old timers that swear by it. and say you could grow any plant in any sized area with supercropping. that's the good thing about it. if she gets too big even on the lower braches. pinch and lay them over.

one thing I have noticed tho is that some of the larger branches even tho they are supercropped . will bounce rite back to the original placement or most of the way back. to help this make sure you hear the crack/ pop noise when you pinch, and tie the tip of the branch you want down to the pot it's in for a few days. these plants are amazing and you will see soon that these plants are way tougher than we like to make them out to be!..

please keep me posted I'd like some pics of the supercrop when your done if you can!. I can't wait to see how it works out on your pretty little lady!:thumb:

Oh I'm not afraid of super cropping. As you said, tons of people swear by it. I'll post some pics in my journal, I plan to keep it updated fairly well.

My question was mainly about stretch in general and how training affects final stretch. Say an untrained plant would natually stretch 3x. Now take that same plant and train/top it for many colas. Will that plant still stretch 3x, or will all the extra colas affect the final stretch potential? Searched a lot and can't seem to find anyone talking about it.

I was planning on vegging to 12" to maybe end up stretching to 36", wondering if getting an even canopy with many colas will need to veg taller to reach the same final height. I would imagine having several medium height colas would drastically improve the yield over several short colas.

I see you are using felt pots. to help tie the top down use a paperclip and stab one end through the felt leaving the paperclip in its original shape. you can tie the top you want down to the paperclip so she stays rite where you want her.

I'd do this if you notice her tying to stand back up. I'd wait to see how she reacts to the supercrop alone before tieing her down. I hope this helps!

I don't think the supercrop is going to effect the overall stretch. but what it will do is give you a lot shrter canipy to start with. which will overall make her shorter in the end.

just keep a close eye on her through stetch . if you don't like how tall she is getting just supercrop the branch desired.this will help keep a lower canipy

Back
Top Bottom