First grow soil choice

khadine

Hi folks,

I'm almost ready to start my first grow. I will be germinating an auto fem and have picked up a few different mixes as these are all that's available to me in the Great White North at this time of year. As a first time grower I am interested in keeping it as simple as possible.

I've read numerous threads regarding types of soil, nutrients, fertilizers, pre-fertilized soils etc. Some threads say to not use pre-fertilized soils others say they have good luck with them. It depends on the brand and concentration etc. So here is what I have so far.

Pro Mix potting soil - Mycoactive NPK .30-.10-.10 Time release

Schultz potting soil NPK .08-.12-.08 6 months time release
contains peat moss, perlite, composted organic matter 40%

Schultz seed starter Light Mix- Soiless
contains peat moss, vermiculite not pre- fertilized.

Home Garden Organic Starter Mix - Soiless
Contains peat moss, composted soft-wood bark fines, vermiculite, major and minor nutrients and a wetting agent. I read on these forums that bark is not a good additive as it gets very acidic once it breaks down so I'm not sure about using this one.

I also picked up some perlite, vermiculite and peat moss and have a 2 part Dutch Nutrient Formula - Grow as well as a flowering one.

I need to pick up some powdered dolomite PH meter wire the grow room and I think I'm good to grow.

I plan on planting the seedlings directly into the pot they will be finishing in to reduce stress.

I was thinking of using the Schultz Light Mix and adding the grow formula to every second watering after the leaves show then flushing before flower and then going with the bloom formula to finish. Flush before harvest also.

Does this make sense or do I need some topsoil mixed in also?

Thanks

Imo if you want to keep it simple as possible, i would go with fox farm ocean forest/perlite mix. Stuff is great, i use it indoors and out. You don't have to feed for the first 2-3weeks. Really forgiving and easy to work with

If using a soil with timed release ferts be careful when adding ferts. You will more than likely get the PH way off and cause a nutrient lock out from over fertilizing. Everyone wants to give the maximum ferts for the best buds and they end up overdoing it.

You will only want to add ferts at max once a week. Burnt tips = to much ferts. And if possible flush at least once before you flip to 12/12 and once during flowering and then only water for say 1 week to 2 weeks before harvest.

One day after a few grows you will want to check into getting FFOFS and the tri pack if you want to continue with soil grows.

Just realize that your first grow wont be perfect and that's ok. As long as you don't set them on fire you should get some useable buds.

Good luck

great advice.. and as a noob grower, I use FFOF right from the EZ cloner till completion.. Follow the advice about the nutes, and you cant mess it up.. Then start cooking your own soil and stuff like that.. I am also cooking some soil, and honestly even my veggies LOVE FFOF soil and my shop sells it for 12bux a bag.. I cant go wrong.. I use nut's as well of course.. I have used the FF line and loved it, I also use Flora Nova, and even Dagget and Sons and other stuff from Snow Storm to Terpinator.. Its all a learning process, and keeping it simple as possible from the start will teach you allot...

Yes I don't feed my girls at all in FFOF for the first 3 weeks except for orca. Then i start at about 600pm and work up from there. I feed with the botanicare prue blend line and love the stuff.

Hey khadine, I live near you and know all too well how difficult it can be finding the right grow supplies. Ignore anyone telling you to use Fox Farms because you'll never find that stuff here. It'll just confuse you.

You should use different soil mixtures for the seedling stage, veg, and flowering. Use a standard out of the bag potting mix for the first 2 or 3 weeks after germination. Seedlings are delicate and too much nutes in the soil can kill them overnight. For veg use this simple recipe:

5 parts soil.
Normal commercial potting soil should be fine.

5 parts perlite or vermiculite.
This enhances aeration of the soil-mix, helps prevent over-watering by increasing drainage and reduces soil compaction.

2 parts composted organic matter. This can be normal household compost. If you can find composted worm castings, seaweed or composted manures (chicken, sheep, horse) they can also be used for extra kick. Never use non-composted manures, as they make the soil-mix too 'hot' for the plants.

Make sure your soil pH is between 5.5 and 7. A pH of 6.5 is ideal.

Add nutes as necessary.

Hey khadine, I live near you and know all too well how difficult it can be finding the right grow supplies. Ignore anyone telling you to use Fox Farms because you'll never find that stuff here. It'll just confuse you.

You should use different soil mixtures for the seedling stage, veg, and flowering. Use a standard out of the bag potting mix for the first 2 or 3 weeks after germination. Seedlings are delicate and too much nutes in the soil can kill them overnight. For veg use this simple recipe:

5 parts soil.
Normal commercial potting soil should be fine.

5 parts perlite or vermiculite.
This enhances aeration of the soil-mix, helps prevent over-watering by increasing drainage and reduces soil compaction.

2 parts composted organic matter. This can be normal household compost. If you can find composted worm castings, seaweed or composted manures (chicken, sheep, horse) they can also be used for extra kick. Never use non-composted manures, as they make the soil-mix too 'hot' for the plants.

Make sure your soil pH is between 5.5 and 7. A pH of 6.5 is ideal.

Add nutes as necessary.

GreenCaper makes a good point. I made my soil initially starting out and then switched to FFOF. FFOF runs HOT. I am currently thinking of going back to a homemade soil/compost.

I'm pretty sure FFOF has bat guano in it, and I'd never put a plant in that stuff until close to flowering. I suspect a lot of growers starting their plants in that stuff may be dealing with nute burn.

Back
Top Bottom