First grow - Trial grow - Possible heat stress?

ptk2k

Hey everyone! Not my first time on here, but it's my first time posting! I started my first legal grow about a month and a half ago with three seeds I found and saved from herbs I got at the dispo, (which is pretty uncommon, I think). Anyways, I put them in my windowsill until I had the means to purchase a light. They did surprisingly great for window plants. A few weeks later, my buddy dropped off three Chemdawg 4 seeds and two Donald Trump seeds (strain apparently native to Denver, can't find any specs on it.) I put those five in the windowsill with the others and focused on saving up and getting that light! Another few weeks had passed, the light I ordered finally arrived, (Apollo 600w) and I was super relived to get them out of the window and start getting them some real light! They've been under the light for four days now in my make-shift grow room. The first day or so it must have been 90-100 degrees in there...but I didn't know because my beginner-ass hadn't gotten a thermometer yet! So I went and bought a thermometer/humidity meter & an 18" box fan for more heat outtake. Altogether now I have four fans in a 8'x6' "tent," the larger two fans facing out towards an open window, and the two smaller ones facing opposite corners of the tent. The plants are constantly moving, the light is at least a foot and a half above the tallest plants, but STILL can't get lower than 79 degrees. Also they're showing signs of heat stress, I believe :/ . The temp has fluctuating between 79-89, with humidity between 35-45%. Side note: This IS my first/trial grow. I'm taking it slow, not adding any nutes yet, just wanna see how it all goes. Got some seeds comin in from Herbies:goof: So by then I plan on having the room at a steady temp, using some nutes, yadda yadda. Let me know what you guys think and any tips you may have! I'll add some photos:thanks:

image110008.jpg
image27144.jpg
image31019.jpg
image51012.jpg

image61011.jpg
image71007.jpg

Re: First grow! / Trial grow! / Possible heat stress?

Yes your right HEAT STRESS for sure, leaves [ Taco curling up] get a cool tube and inline fan that will take care of it ,and duct it outside or to the attic,, or grow in the winter months to help with heat issue's, you can probably move the light up a little to help with heat they are small and at the beginning of veg don't require the same light as in flower, COOL TUBE AND INLINE FAN FOR SURE,:peacetwo:

I can tell you from experience that Chem Dawg 4 is a hearty plant that does very well, indoors. if you can get your temps down, you'll be just fine.
I try to keep my daytime temps in the 70s, although it's not uncommon for me to see temps as high as 81, late in the day.

good luck and let us know how it works out.

I dimmed the light down to 75% and moved it up about another foot. I've had them on 24/24, last night I got the temp down to 71, this morning it seems steady at 81. So the temp problem seems to be fixed :slide: just waiting for them to recover, they're already doing better. Still plan on putting a swamp cooler in there just for peace of mind, and so I can get rid of 2/4 of the fans out of there, then eventually get that cool tube and inline fan. I want to document this grow, post photos every so often and get as much input from as many people as possible! Also, as you can see, the Chem 4 and Donald Trump babies are much smaller than the other 3 plants.. I don't have a separate room to keep the Chem 4's and Trump babies vegging, so I'm going to end up having to flower all 8 at once, (Sexes of all plants are unknown on this first grow), regardless, chances are that I'll have some females from the smaller 5 and some from the taller 3. So, my question is, how long should I keep vegging them all to the point where the bigger ones won't get too big for their space, and the smaller ones won't be too small to produce a decent yield? Might just have to wait and see. :blunt::thanks:

Apart from the heat stress, your plants looks great. Nice and green, not too puffy, no signs of any nute or ph problems; marvelous.
The yield you'll get is a magic number which will reveal itself to you on the very day you are able to smoke it :laughtwo:

That's it the magic number I like the way you put it, so true:goodjob:

Yeah definitely a little heat stress but not too bad yet. 68-84F is the best range of temps to stay within. Humidity should also be 40-60% at all times, higher in veg and lower in flower. Doing very well for your first time, just gotta tweak stuff here and there like we all do

Hey to anyone following this! Due to very high temps outdoors (85-95 F), my grow room/tent/what ever ya wanna call it, has taken the heat in as well, and got too hot again. So I moved the light up even more and dimmed it down to 50%. I also filled the bathtub in which I'm growing with a couple centimeters of water to increase humidity. The humidity reads 35-55 and the temp right now is running between 71-86 F. All of the plants seem to be recovering/recovered from any heat stress they've endured. I'll keep you guys updated, anyone who's reading!:blunt:
IMG_64566.JPG

What's up guys! Today at work, a co-worker told me he had some nutes he could give me. Very generous of him! So I gave him a couple bucks and grabbed them. I know NOTHING about nutes, could you guys give me some advice? He also gave me some water testing strips for a pool to test PH. Not sure how to test for that either, just bury the strip for a minute in the dirt? I'm a noob. Anyway, the temp is chillin between 77-84 F and humidity still between 30-40.. Gotta get that up! You guys gotta teach me how to feed these babies!.. I could do the research but I trust this community. And I do wanna start a journal.. Maybe once I start flowering, maybe I'll wait until my next grow to completely document it, start to finish. I also got my seeds in from HerbiesHeadShop for the next grow! I recommend the site to anyone. I'll wait for some feedback before I put anything into the soil, because like I said, I know NOTHING about nutes or PH. Thank you all:thanks::blunt:

I feeding schedule is no nutes from seed for 2 weeks at least. Then after 3 maybe 4 weeks (depending on the colour of the leaves) 1/4 nutes for a few more weeks. Day 1 and 2 water, day 3 nutes. Then do the same cycle again.
The ph strips are to be dipped into your watering medium, be that a bucket, bowl or watering can.
For hydro your ph should be between 5.8 - 6.0
For soil is should be 6.2 - 6.5
I generally have mine on 6.0 for soil or hydro which seems to be fine. My chillis like that ph too

Different strains feed differently, it takes experience to judge how much to feed exactly, but a safe bet is using 50% of the recommended dosage on the feeding schedule. If the plants are still hungry, increase the dosage slightly over time until you hit a good spot. As for 24/0 veg, I've heard mixed things, the biggest factor being that root growth happens primarily at night, so with no night period the roots probably grow slower than with a dark period included.

I've checked this thread on my computer a couple times today and for some reason, haven't seen any replies, just on my phone. Still can't see your guys' responses on my computer, only on my phone.., anyways! Glad I read this before I fed the babies anymore than I did. I've watered the larger plants twice with the mix I've made, none with the smaller five. I've noticed the top leaves curling down a bit.. Possibly too much nitrogen. I dumped half the nute mix I had and added the rest with regular water, hoping it will regulate. Let me know what you think. I've been placing frozen containers of water in the tub to decrease heat.. Not very effective, :/ . Also purchased a fan/mist sprayer to increase humidity, working as much as I use it! Got the humidity up a little bit everyday since I purchased it. Let me get some feedback! :blunt:

there's been some good advice about the nutrients issue and, it sounds like you're getting a hand on it. sounds like your plants will be fine.

as far as the 24/0 question: I try to think of it like this...
What is the most natural/healthy for the plant?

I won't argue with the 24/0 growers out there - they know what they're doing but, it is a fact that the roots do a lot of their work at night/in the dark hours. these plants have been growing outside for eons with a light/dark schedule. we push the plants to their limits by altering that schedule but, really, imo, they need their dark/rest period. just like we do.

my plants always look reinvigorated and super happy in the mornings, after they've had their 6 hours of darkness. I couldn't imagine my grow without seeing my plants like that.

Back
Top Bottom