First Grow, Yellow Leaves?

Ambition

:peace:Hi, it's my first time growing, and I'm very excited to not have to be spending so much $ on weed all the time. My plants are around a month old and have just been transplanted into a 5 gallon bucket. However, after transplanting them, the bottom/biggest sets of leaves have started to turn to a nasty-looking yellow colour. The only thing a feed them, once a week, is a product called terracycle made entirely from worms. I also give them a pinch of these little grey ball things that came with a tomato plant starter. Other than those two things all they have is water. My grandma's water has many chemicals because the water company is a piece of shit, but I let the water sit in a big 2 gallon jug for 24 hours before using it to water the plants. I have the plant under two 23 watt CFL's, 1600 lumens, and 5000 K. It says 100 watt equivalent, then, "energy used in watts 23". I have four of these lights, but I currently only use two for the plant always about 1-3 inches away from the plant, on a 24/7 cycle of light. Please let me know how I can fix my babies! :p' :thanks: Any help is appreciated, here are some pictures.
IMG_045413.jpg
IMG_045313.jpg

thats a tough one for me...

the whole plant looks kind of rough. your leaves are cupping over the whole plant which to me automaticly makes me think

underwatered (doesnt look to be the case from the soil in your pic)
overwatered (possible)
too much ferts (or too hot of soil to begin with)
too much heat in the area they are in

the yellowing triggers magnesium def, ph lockout, over fert, or potentially too much of a certain nutrient in the soil, causing lockouts of others.

what i would do in this situation...

go buy a bottle of RO or distilled water.

add some aquashield to it, with about 50ppm of calmag, and pour about 1-2 gallons of it through the pot slowly, but all at once.

this should get the PH closer to target if its off, and flush out anything buildups there may be, while giving her a little magnesium that she looks like shes lacking.

also i would pick up some proper MJ nutes, as they differ from most general plants in their needs.

Starting with the most obvious, get your leaves off the soil. Your leaves are leaching minerals from the ground every time you water and the direct uptake is burning the ends. Beyond that, take a look at the problem solver post here Problem Solver to help you determine what is causing the purple stems and twisting leaves. The answer is fairly simple with a little research. The tip about the leaves is not included in the problem solver, hence the reason I gave you that one. Best of luck.

Starting with the most obvious, get your leaves off the soil. Your leaves are leaching minerals from the ground every time you water and the direct uptake is burning the ends. Beyond that, take a look at the problem solver post here https://www.420magazine.com/community/threads/cannabis-plant-pest-problem-solver-pictorial.81275/ to help you determine what is causing the purple stems and twisting leaves. The answer is fairly simple with a little research. The tip about the leaves is not included in the problem solver, hence the reason I gave you that one. Best of luck.

thats different than twisting leaves,they are canoeing , and the purple stems could be 100% normal. i'v grown a few different strains that are purple like that and perfectly healthy. not ALL strains are like that obviously, but some are geneticly like that. and purple CAN be a sign of problem, but its normally a different shade than that. normally more of a red/purple.

Thanks for the help, how can I keep the leaves off of the soil? I thought the nutes I were using were really good, its basically just worm shit, all natural, made completely from worms. I use it once a week. The stems are a brownish- I guess kind of purplish colour. I think those are fine. It just appears to be a problem with the bottom leaves. I'll post a pic of my light setup.

Here it is, btw my room is my growroom, sometimes I burn incense and smoke weed in my room. But I usually have the window open.
IMG_04559.jpg
IMG_045610.jpg

It doesn't look like you have any fans. The fact your lights are practically in the pot, and all the heat is collecting in there explains the cupping. Her temps are probably way too high, and no breeze to help her with temp, or transpiration.

Even cfls will throw enough heat to damage plants if not properly
Set up, vented, or cooled in some way

thanks I didnt know if anyone was comin back :D lol anyways I turned my air conditioner to 73 (I know 78 is standard but it's always a little hotter than what it's set to) and closed my window, I have my fan on but its on the ceiling. So Should I raise the light just out of the bucket? And should I keep them both on it? I also have 2 more bulbs. I just watered her again, and turned the light off, I find that I water her a few times a day, but everytime I check a few inches deep the soil is dry. I have something to catch the run-off water, but there never seems to be any. Should I turn off the lights after I water everytime, as to not magnify the light in certain spots? Thanks again

The reason they cup under high temp is they are trying to conserve moisture, because the roots can't supply her with enough water to keep her hydrated. Simply , she can't drink fast enough.

I'm assuming this is the main problem, as well as nutes leaching into the bottom leaves as the secOndary.

Do your leaves feel dry?

The light intensity won't be too much. Don't worry about shutting them off durring watering.

If the soil is always dry. Then we found the problem.

Yours baking her in there. Either get 4 cfls on her but get them out of the bucket , or, get a fan pointed into the bucket, strong enough you can feel it, and hopefully that will cool down the lights enough.

The lamps you have them in, hold the heat pretty good, and then they throw heat straight out of them.

Ontop of your plants, temps are probably hitting high 90's . Even though the room is 71

Well I just transplanted her so she lost a couple roots. The yellowish ones felt extremely dry before watering them again just now. I still don't know what to do with the lights because I heard CFL's lose a lot of light energies 6inches or more away from the plant. Should I only be using one bulb? and should it be farther away

The soil is always dry and there is no run-off. I have enough for 4 lights but fixtures to put the bulbs in are another story. I have a fan that is supposed to be for growing but i can't even feel the air from it. So until I get more fixtures or a fan I guess ill use the one but keep it just above the bucket?

Cfls do loose a lot when farther away. So for other options.

Any fan. Even a house fan. Just get it pointed in there when the light are on. Wind won't make her loose moisture as fast as baking her will.

Orr cut the top off the bucket, so your almost level with the dirt. And get the lights about 3" above if you have no fan.

, 23 watts isn't enough light. I would stick with at least 2 bulbs right now. Just figure out a way to get rid of that heat.

Ok thanks, I've moved the lights so that they're just an inch inside so that there is much more space between the plant and the lights. So are you saying it need three or four lights on it? (After I find a fan or something of course) Also I was wondering about how much a plant would yield on average, I was hoping for a quarter to a half a pound. Eventually I want to start growing 5 at a time, but this is the only one that germinated. I hope the stems are going to turn purple completely, I love the look of purple strains, they look awesome :p'

Back
Top Bottom