First Hydro Grow - Sun System 8, Feliz 200w, DWC & Fogger

Hey there Fumarmota (love the name). I love your setup! I also dig the detail you are putting into your journal. Very good information and photographs. Keep up the good work. I am a new member of 420magazine and I am doing my first grow. I am trying to absorb as much info as I can from many journals and I will be adding your journal to this list.

Very pretty little plants.

I was right there with you about two months ago. Reading every post, watching mass YouTube videos, etc. I finally decided to just dive right in and give it a go. I will keep everyone updated as time allows and hopefully we will all get to see some good results.

Love the grow box, what a great job you did with it. And the plants are looking wonderful nice and green and healthy, Are you still running the fogger and if so hows is the temps in the res, Mine got way to hot around the 100 degree mark but I was using 5 and you have only one. Just wondering. Great job + rep

Love the grow box, what a great job you did with it. And the plants are looking wonderful nice and green and healthy, Are you still running the fogger and if so hows is the temps in the res, Mine got way to hot around the 100 degree mark but I was using 5 and you have only one. Just wondering. Great job + rep

Thanks for the rep and your comments. I run the fogger only 4 times a day for 2 hours each time. My water stays nice and cool. Also, the cooltron fan is quite powerful and sits under the shelf with the reserve so that helps water cooling tremendously.

Plant 1 at 29 days, still about 3 inches tall yet a bit fuller with all the trims. I just upped the nuts to 20ml - 4l water and they seem to be taking it quite well. The roots are really thriving!

DPP_1002.jpg

DPP_1003.jpg

DPP_1006.jpg

DPP_1009.jpg

DPP_1024.jpg

Today the temp jumped up to 81 degrees inside the box. I had to open up the doors for a little while to bring it back down to about 75F degrees. Humidity is still running at an even 20%. Not sure how I can get that up but the fogger probably helps that out a bit when it is running. As I said earlier I upped my nuts to a mixture of 20ml-4l of water and all is well so far. Here are some miscellaneous shots I took today.

002267.jpg

001219.jpg

003229.jpg

004226.jpg

005220.jpg

006190.jpg

Hi there, this is one of the best journals I've seen. Your set up seems straight forward and dooable even to a noob like myself. I hope you post an update soon!

Just a few questions if you don't mind. Why did you use the "windshield reflectors" rather than just lining the cabinet with the metallic duct tape or some mylar? Is there some other purpose besides the reflective surface?

I was also wondering about the limited vertical space available in your cabinet. It seems as though you're saying you can prune the plants in a way that limits their vertical growth. If that's the case I guess it would be nice to understand how that works a little better. Perhaps there's a tutorial or post some where that goes into this in more detail?

Let's just say for example you put too many plants in a given amount of space. If the plants begin to exceed both the horizontal and vertical space and you don't do any trimming, I suppose the areas of the plants running up against the walls begin to die and surely this effects the whole plant in a negative way.

Now if you simply prune the plants where ever they begin to get too close to walls this will certainly prevent the plants from getting squished, but can this be done indefinitely? Will the plants mature properly within the free space available for them?

Is there simply a space that is too small for a given plant, or could you theoretically grow a marijuana plant in a 1 foot cube of space and just keep pruning so that in the end you just have a mature plant 1 foot cube in size that's densely packed with buds?

Thanks,
~The Noob

Well, it has been a while. Sorry for the lack of posts. So, to start with, I had a major problem at Christmas time. I left town appointing another to look after the plants however that person decided to blow off their sworn duty and as a result my beautiful plants died. On January 1st I decided to start the story again by planting new seeds from a different (better) strain. The goal with this round is to do the same trimming experiment. I constantly trim my plants and they continue to accept my punishment and prosper by growing 2 new leaf sites for every one I cut. At this point my largest plant is just over 3 inches and the smallest is just over 1 inch, AFTER 48 DAYS! Keep in mind that I knew this would happen going in to the experiment. My plants spend so much time growing horizontally that they do not have much time to grow vertically. As soon as they reach 7-8 nodes I top them! Generally they are only about an inch tall when topped. Once topped I just do minor trimming from there on out.

I just switched nutrients over to the Fox Farms trio and so far the plants love it! I am using the Fox Farms Hydro feeding guide for nutrient amounts and I started the cycle at week one, even though the plants started their grow on January 1st. You can find the Hydro Feeding Guide here:

https://www.foxfarmfertilizer.com/hydrofeed.pdf

I will post pictures in my next post so you can see the progress of the new plants. I do think the last ones were prettier though. However I believe these will turn in to very bushy bud monsters! Just take a look at how many potential bud sites these plants are going to produce. Once all the side shoots are long enough I plan to through a screen in the mix to create a nice SCROG.

Plant #1 @ 48 days since planting. At only one inch tall, this plant is growing along nicely :) however you can see a bit of nutrient burn in a few spots. This came from switching over to the Fox Farms mix. I really can't believe how small this plant is after 48 days...especially when you see the others.

IMG_36801.jpg

IMG_3679.jpg

Plant #2 @ 48 days. This plant is just under 2 inches tall. In the second picture you can clearly see how the constant trimming has made the node lengths only millimeters in length. There were 8 vertical nodes on this plant when I topped it. It was just over an inch tall when topped. As you can see this makes the horizontal growth go crazy. Just take a look a the lowest branches in the second image. A quick spin and you can see how bushy the other side is in Photo #3

IMG_3675P2001.jpg

IMG_3675P2002.jpg

IMG_3675P2003.jpg

Plant #3 at 48 days. This plant is about 2.5 inches tall and has gone wild with the horizontal growth. This one was topped already as well at about 1 inch tall. In photo 3 you can see the huge volume of new growth on each branch after my trims. You know what I say: "Trim and double, trim and double, trim and double"!

IMG_3675P3001.jpg

IMG_3675P3002.jpg

IMG_3675P3003.jpg

Plant #4 @ 48 days. This plant is the largest of the 4 plants at only 3 inches tall. The growth on this one has been very nice and I expect this one to be a monster. Only 3 inches, yet just look at all of those thick branches.

IMG_3675P4001.jpg

IMG_3675P4002.jpg

IMG_3675P4003.jpg

Hi there, this is one of the best journals I've seen. Your set up seems straight forward and dooable even to a noob like myself. I hope you post an update soon!

Just a few questions if you don't mind. Why did you use the "windshield reflectors" rather than just lining the cabinet with the metallic duct tape or some mylar? Is there some other purpose besides the reflective surface?

I was also wondering about the limited vertical space available in your cabinet. It seems as though you're saying you can prune the plants in a way that limits their vertical growth. If that's the case I guess it would be nice to understand how that works a little better. Perhaps there's a tutorial or post some where that goes into this in more detail?

Let's just say for example you put too many plants in a given amount of space. If the plants begin to exceed both the horizontal and vertical space and you don't do any trimming, I suppose the areas of the plants running up against the walls begin to die and surely this effects the whole plant in a negative way.

Now if you simply prune the plants where ever they begin to get too close to walls this will certainly prevent the plants from getting squished, but can this be done indefinitely? Will the plants mature properly within the free space available for them?

Is there simply a space that is too small for a given plant, or could you theoretically grow a marijuana plant in a 1 foot cube of space and just keep pruning so that in the end you just have a mature plant 1 foot cube in size that's densely packed with buds?

Thanks,
~The Noob

I have seen people grow successfully in a PC case before so I believe you can grow in almost any space. I am simply trimming in order to get as much production as possible in my fairly small space. More bud sites = more buds. I did this in a phototron years ago and was able to control plant size as well as number of nodes fairly well. The end result was really good smoke and a considerable amount of it for the size of the space :)

Back
Top Bottom