First mh/hps closet grow need advice

Ncfinestbud

I have been growing for about 2 years now and have been growing in a shed with flourescents and cfls. I moved and now must grow in my closet.

setup:

400w switchable mh/hps with spider reflector (not sure brand of ballast)
closet dim. 9'hx4'wx3'd
growing one cat piss now and soon to be purple buddha (pretty stoked about the purple buddha)
a 3' tall x 8" wide floor fan on medium and osculating to really move the air around.
walls are covered in mylar
temp stays around 75-85

right now i have the the metal halide running at 24hrs for the first two weeks.
My questions are:

Is it ok to run metal halide as early as seedling stage?
How can i tell which light spectrum my lamp is operating in?
I am going to use foxfarm nutes for the first time as well for some food, when do i start feeding and how much?
Any other feed tips?
Lastly, if i tape a dryer sheet to the front of the fan would that help to control odor? not that odor is a bad thing but i live in an apt.

Thanks guys ill try to get up some pics shortly and maybe even turn this shit to my first journal.

I personally use Flouro's, but I see no reason why an MH wouldn't work for babies, barring heat or intensity issues....

Fox farm has a full soil schedule PDF on their website which you can find with google in about .000017 seconds or whatever.
None of the Grow big for 2 weeks, but they recommend 2 Table(not tea) spoons of the Big Bloom.

a dryer sheet might help, but it will cut down airflow, and likely not last long.
if you want to kill smell mostly without a carbon filter and ducting and whatever, I'd recommend ONA gel- shit kicks ass.

best of luck man.
Start a journal and post pics there.
everyone here loves pictures.

MH is a blue/green spectrum and HPS is a red/orange spectrum. If your growing in soil dont feed for the first two weeks...Then start giving them some of the grow big. Do not give them any Big bloom in the first two weeks. Big bloom is a flowering nutrient.

on the contrary stonergrower, with all due respect:

according to the Fox Farm Schedule, from when they are seeds and cuttings, plants recieve 2TBL of Big Bloom. Grow Big doses start 2 weeks later, in addition to the grow big except for the final week of Veg.

Once flowering, plants receive 1TBL of big bloom, in addition to 2 tsp of Tiger bloom, any solubles, and the two weeks where grow big is part of the mix.

this is the link to a pdf soil nutrient schedule

Thats what THEY say....And they also dont give us those charts for cannabis growing purposes.

Why would you use a flowering nutrient for seedlings?
Then why would you stop the flowering nutrient then switch to veg nutes just to go back to flowering nutes?

That is tottaly backwards of what any grower would do....Make sense?

Nutes: What To Use & How To Use Them Tutorial

have it your way man, but thats what the resources are telling me.
big bloom is also much less intense than tiger bloom- the NPK ratings are all < 1.
hence the tablespoons.

my take on why to give it? seems to encourage bushy growth without over N ing, and also starts the plants on some food from offset. you can look at my closet to see how following the schedule has done for me....

Im well aware of the nutrients....Im by no means arguing. Im only stating that it makes no sense to me. If your using good soil you will not have to feed anything for the first 2 weeks. You can get bushy and "Stacked" growth by using a full spectrum of light, not giving miniscule amounts of P and K.

By the way...The original writer of that thread had a severe case of copy and pasting. So you have no idea where that information came from or if it is valid.

Just my two pennies...

I'm donw with this- but in parting: That info is the same as the schedule on Fox Farms site, the same that is hanging in my closet, the same that you are recommending to other growers in other threads. if what you're doing works- great! I personally feed my plants big bloom.

From what I understand, the small round leaves that appear first are the initial source of food for seedlings.

Big Bloom (0.01-0.3-0.7) is all organic and a good source of micro-nutes so giving them a dose of that at the beginning shouldn't hurt anything. FF recommends using Big Bloom all the way through both veg and flowering to help supply trace elements. I typically wouldn't really consider something with only 0.3 P a flowering nute.

Back
Top Bottom