First Real Grow: WW Auto, T5 & CFLs

Demasoni

I am finally ready to start my first real grow. This is something that I have been thinking about for a long time and it actually began last night. I am from Massachusetts and my grow is going to be 100% legal. I have been crunching as much information and research as possible over the last couple months. The only experience I have growing is throwing bagseed in the back yard and waiting for it to fail. I am eager to begin and very excited to see where it gets me. I am a moderate smoker and currently go through about an eighth a week. I use it for recreational use mainly, but I have digestive and stomach issues and it really helps that as well. I pay between $45 -$50 a week (non-dispensary)...my goal is to eventually supply mysef and be able to share with good friends and family. I have been lurking around this site the for the last couple months and reading through some of the great information you all have shared. I have a ton of respect for the work and care you guys put in here and I'm amazed with the results you produce. I hope that some of you will follow my grow and share your advice and any opinions. Thanks in advance...

THE SETUP-

2 plants - White Widow autos from Crop King (I have 5 more seeds in case first 2 don't take)
The space - 3' x 3' x 6' mylar grow tent with 6 openings on bottom (3 on each side) two openings on top (1 each side) and 1 opening on roof

Soil - Fox Farm Ocean forest / Happy Frog / Perlite... I am planning on using 75% FF 25% perlite. I was going to put the seeds directly into their finishing pots after the show a taproot. I have seen a lot of mixed opinions on using FF for young plants and seedlings. I'm set on FF ...my plan was to help the seeds get a headstart by putting Happy frog about 3 inches wide and 3 deep in the center where the seeds will be planted. ??? For my pots I wanted to try a side by side with a $20 5 gallon smartpot and $1 5 gallon plain thin pot with just drain holes in the bottom. I just want to prove to myself (girlfriend) that I should be using only the nice airy pricey smartpots.

Lights - 2 foot 8 bulb H/O T5 20,000 lumens fixture hung a few inches above plants and whatever extra CFLs I need to add as the plant grows. I want to attempt to do some very gentle training to try and keep the plants from growing too much vertically.

Nutrients - So far I just have the organic soils with a lot of nutrients in them. I would like to use very little if any of the bottled Nutes at least for this first run. If there is a need to add them, then I certainly will. I know I should be fine for at least a few weeks with autos and FF. I have only learned the very basics of Nutrients and need to learn more and possibly get some advice on this. I have to say if it's gonna work and make sense at the end of the day... I would like to stay as natural as possible. (at least til I can wrap my head around the whole nutrients routine)

I am going into this first grow with the goal of learning and gaining some experience before I try to get too fancy. If I can get two plants to finish up and harvest at least 20 grams of decent bud, I will be very happy with my virgin run. I don't have a need for giant yields, but prefer quality over Quantity... that's why I am looking at this first grow as a warm up or a training session. I will welcome any advice, tips, or opinions any of you are willing to share. Thanks for reading... wish me luck!

THE GROW- DAY 1

I have 2 seeds of White Widow Autoflower that I soaked in room tempature spring water for 14 hours. They never did sink. I just put them in a dark room inside of a moist paper towel on a glass plate. I'm using a heating pad underneath the plate with a towel in between the pad and plate. I wasn't going to use the pad, but I was worried they may take forever or not begin to crack at all... The temperature in my house is average between 67-70 degrees. The pad is on the lowest setting and the moist paper towels are not warm or cold... but just slightly cool to the touch.
My tent is due to arrive today and my T5 is due tomorrow. I already have a CFL dual fixture clamp light... The bulbs are 1600 lumens each 6500k. If the seeds open right away I can have the CFL and everything to start. I am going to set it all up tomorrow night. I will probably moisten and mix up my soil in a bin tonight. I will update as soon as everything is setup and ready to go. I'm gonna learn how to post pics now. I'm not really the most computer savvy.

Another Massachusetts grower here. Im using T5s cfls and soon good ol sunlight. Ill follow along your grow

Thanks for reading and good luck with your grow. I would like to do something outdoors in the future too. The weather is warming up finally... got to get out and fish today.

Day 3
The 2 seeds cracked and grew about 1/4 taproot by late last night. They opened quick... about 36 hours from when I dropped in water, they opened up and I planted. They did 14 hours in water (never sank) and the rest in moist paper towels.
I planted one in a 4 gallon reg. pot and 1 in a 5 gallon smartpot. with moist FF soil. I put a couple handfuls of happy frog in the center where the seed was planted about 3" wide and 3" deep worth. I don't know if this will help??? ...but I read mixed opinions if FF is too strong for seedlings or just fine. It made sense, so I figured it could give a week or so to grow a little before it touches the richer soil. I mixed the soils in storage bins (no yard, only parking lot) real well and broke up any little clumps. I added bottled water that was about 6.9 PH and about 30% worth of perilite to each. Is 6.8 - 6.9 gonna be good for all my watering??? I left soil pretty loose when I filled the pots.
I got my light and other things in yesterday. I was able to get everything setup and running. I got them side by side in a 3×3x6 tent. Light is 2' 8lamp T5 with all 6500 bulbs for now. I was planning on doing a 18/6 light cycle. Should this be longer like 20/4??? give the lights a break during the afternoons when its gonna be the warmest time of day??? Im happy with the light and tent..everything worked and setup was easy. Both seem good to me for the price. Im hoping to see some sprouts soon! I think for a complete rookie, things are so far so good.
Is there anything that Im doing that is wrong so far???
....thanks for reading.

It's been a while since I updated this journal, but I have been reading all over this forum to help along the way. I started this grow with 2 seeds, but one was stuck under a piece of bark when it broke through and caused the seedling to mutate and it just never grew right. I kept it going up until last week when I decided to cull it to make room for another young plant... so I only have 1 plant. This will be my first time trying to post pictures... apology in advance if it doesnt work.
20170427_194554.jpg
20170424_200141.jpg
20170506_180033.jpg
20170506_180116.jpg
20170517_103935.jpg

Those are side by side of of the two plants in veg. The last is the stunted plant last week before I had to toss it.

Day 60

This morning I took pictures of the remaing plant...
20170530_170846.jpg
20170530_170641.jpg
20170530_142759.jpg
20170530_170701.jpg
20170530_170713.jpg

Some of the leaves have been drooping and clawing during a little bit, but recently noticed it was getting to more of the leaves than before.
20170530_170713.jpg
20170530_170737.jpg
20170530_170727.jpg

I have been feeding General Organics Bloom for about 2 weeks and Grow before that. They both did good at half dose, but showed a little burn at full dose. I have been feeding at half dose since. I feed every other watering. I have been giving half dose of Calmag with each feeding. My soil PH is around 6.7 and my water is around 7.0
I'm not too sure what could be causing the droopy leaves and clawing... but I'm going to try a little less watering. I have backed off on nutes and think my PH is safe although a little high. I haven't seen improvements so I'm just gonna back off on watering which in turn will back off a little more on Nutes. I think it's not that big of a deal, because it seems to still be growing very fast and everyday the buds look bigger. I don't want to try and do anything drastic that could harm the flowers... the flowers seem healthy and only symptom has been droopy leaves.

If anyone has any input on the droopy clawing leaves or an idea how many weeks she has left to grow... it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for taking the time to read.

Hope all is well in your world.

How did this grow turn out?

We would love to be updated with some pictures and info.

How about posting a 420 Strain Review?

If you need any help with posting photos, please read our Photo Gallery Tutorial.

I am moving this to Abandoned Journals until we get updates.

Sending you lots of love and positive energy.

:Namaste:

Back
Top Bottom