First time; outdoor grow but i was wondering if germination should be indoor?

swoosh21

Me and a friend are first timers and were wondering if it would make a difference (positive, negative, no effect) if the germination stage should be done indoors and then moved outdoors for the rest of the cycle? We are purchasing 5 different strains from attitude seed bank and have 2 freebies :p. Pyramid Seeds Auto Purple, Delicious Seeds Auto Northern Light Blue, Auto Seeds Berry Ryder, Advanced Seeds Auto Blue Diesel, Reserva Privada Skywalker Kush, World of Seeds Medical Collection Northern Lights x Skunk, Delicious Seeds Critical Super Silver Haze. I don't wanna overload one post with too much but if you could add in any tips or strain specific do's n don'ts it would be greatly appreciated. :high-five:

The best way to germinate seeds is to put them in a glass/cup of plain tap water in a dark place at room temperature (not too cold or hot obviously, a closet is fine). After about 48 hours you should see a white line along one of the edges of the seed, this means that the seed is ready to be planted. At this point some people like to put the seeds in a wet/moist paper towel until it starts to reach out and grow (there's a name for this and also for when the seed cracks open, English is not my native language so some words escape me sometimes) but this step is not necessary, once the seed has cracked you can put it in whatever medium you're planning on using. I grow hydro so I use rockwool cubes. You can also use the cubes if you use soil, just plant the cube in the soil when ready. But as I was saying at this point you can already plant the seed in the soil directly.

As far as I know, this method has a 100% success rate, however you might still get a bad seed.
I'm so confident in this method that I plant only one seed at a time whenever I need, and have gotten 100% positive results.

This method is universal, i.e. any seed can be germinated like this, not just a specific strain.

So to summarize:

Put in glass of water
Check if cracked a couple of times a day
Put in medium when cracked (after about 48 hours) and keep in a dark cool place until surface break (usually 3-5 days later)

Once it has surfaced you can start with a mild feeding schedule (the seedling does not need much water at this point) @ 50% nutrient solution (Advanced Nutrients recommended). You can keep your lights on 24/7 if you like but 18/6 is the best schedule for veg. Personally I don't recommend autos, they take way too long and the yield is never as good. Potency is not the best either.

But if autos is what rocks your boat then read about the specifics of each strain that you're interested in (I grow Nirvana's AK-48, Blue Mystic, and Aurora Indica, because these are the strains that caught my eye and suit to my needs) and make an informed decision as to what strain to grow based on your likes/dislikes, flowering period, avg yield, size, light requirements, etc.

Hope it helps.

Good luck and happy growing!

Awesome! Everything helps and I def appreciate it. I did start on nirvana actually when I was seed strain/seed searching and blue mystic was one that caught mine too....that and the bubblicous. How do you like blue mystic?

I'll tell you in 4 months! :) both the BM and AI seeds arrived not too long ago so I'm just starting them, they should sprout in a few days.
I'd def recommend the AK, though. Early finish, amazing aroma and great great taste, very dense buds (they are actually rock hard, it's very impressive) and very high yield. Definitely one of the best strains I've had. You can't go wrong.
Word of advice, go for the fem seeds, it's worth the extra buck.

Right on! Because I've never grown before, where I live, and having to grow outdoors the auto flowering seeds just seems so appealing. I just don't feel like I would have enough time if I went fem. Having no experience I'm not sure if I'm over thinking it or not. However, 3 of the strains I'm getting are feminized. So if everything works out hopefully I can witness first hand what you mean. I really hope your BM n AI turn out, esp that BM!

Back
Top Bottom