First timer

thats really only a question you can answer;

with 24 hours on, you may see comparatively faster growth which could result in seeing pre-flowers in a shorter time than using 18/6, but you will use more power. If you have a smallish light or LED's, that may not be an issue for you, but 24 hours on with a 600-1000W HID could add up quickly.

some say the plants "need" a dark period to perform some functions, and its more "natural" but its really a matter of preference.. auto-flowers are not photoperiod sensitive, so if you're using those, its really about your utility bill.

Welcome to the site.

Should I do 24 hours in veg stage?

The short answer is yes, your plants will survive and grow if you give them 24 hours of light in a day.

The opinion based part of the question is where you'll run into conflicting answers:
Th question is: Do plants need a dark period in the day to perform functions that they couldn't otherwise?
Personally, I believe that plants need at least a couple of hours of darkness in a day to be at peak performance.

I never quite understood why someone would plant and go 24/0, without giving your plant some rest. 16/8 during VEG is the only way to go "Indoors"...Too much stress on a plant will hurt your chances of getting a great yield or in some cases the plant, especially in the early stages might die....

I never quite understood why someone would plant and go 24/0

if you're growing perpetual, the 24 hour light cycle can get your plants ready to flower sooner and could be the difference between harvesting every 2 months or harvesting every 3 months, getting 6 crops a year instead of 4 crops, if utilized efficiently..

i am of a mind that when going straight from seed it is more "natural" of course to have a dark period, but they really dont need it, as can be seen in numerous journals - however, if you're cloning your grows, then a 24/0 cycle would also inspire faster root growth due to increased photosynthesis, so in that way, it makes a lot of sense. Also, having a veg area on 24 means you can tend to it any time you want, which can make things more convenient for the grower.

i am not doing that currently, nor do i run 24/0; just pointing out the possibilities, as the OP was rather vague.

:high-five:

I honestly was doing 18/6 and then switched to 24/0 these last couple weeks because I will be going to flower soon.

The reason I was doing 18/6 was because I truly believe that plants need a dark cycle also to perform functions that they couldn't otherwise. Like as others have mentioned above. Although this is only my first hydroponic grow so I am new to this so not quite sure if that is true or not. Although since I've recently switched to 24/0 I have noticed exploding growth as well. So I can't scientifically tell you which is the truth. I think it all depends on the growers style and what they prefer. And I do have to agree with Kingsnake235 running 24/0 has its advantages along with its disadvantages. If you are concerned with bills then 18/6 does the trick and saves money. I personally am using an LED and my electricity is included in my rent so it don't matter to me which route I take haha. Although being a medical marijuana patient who definitely suffers from insomnia and is use to working graveyard and all shifts; currently having my Vanilla Kush under 24/0 light is a nice perk so I can tend the plants whenever I need to as I'm up all times of the day workin on them. ..

Back
Top Bottom