Fox Farms planting mix soil, fungus gnat larve in run off

basementdwell

ok well last wk i got ffof and it contained fungus gnats and i knew right away its common so i baked it and pretty sure i got it all out. SO watering my other plants with different soils, i notices some stuff floating in the root resv ?? Strange i never saw it B4 so i took closer look with the 30X scope and noticed they were wiggling and jumping all over but i got a good enough look, fungus gnat larve YUCK, just thinking about them gives me the nebe jebes (Chills) (orry for the mis-spelling). SO right away i call my buddie i got the soil for that pot from and told him to look. Man I hate bugs :( so i went out today and got Thuricide. I was reading in my book last night that bacillus thuringiensis will kill of the larve and i ve added a layer of perlite on the top of the soil. I have not seen and adults flying around but seen bigger then larve crawing on the surface of the dirt. The thuricide say spray on the leaves top and bottom, Can I use it on the surface of the dirt and perlite ? Can i mix it with my feedings ? I thought benifical bacteria would belong in the soil too ? I need to get some thing into the soil to kill off the larve feeding on the root system:helpsmilie:

well i went for the 2 part attack first i added garden dust to the soils top layer it contains pyretherym. the the thuricide into the watering can but at low levels like 1 tsp per gal then i also did a bath with 1 tsp per 1/4 gal i watered heavily after letting the pot dry for the last 2 days. Then i dunked the roots and lower 1/2 of the pot into the bath for 5 min. I removed and let teh pot dry over night and this am i flushed and have fewer larve in the run off. I am gonna let them dry out again for next two days, but in the mean time i ve added a slice of potato to see if i can attract them to the top where the dust is. Man i ve also found them in my newly passturised soil :( Man these f-ers are a major pain in the arse, this is war. ? does pyreathern kill benifical beacteria?? I use subcultures in my soil after pasturising ?

Amazon: 7 Million Live Beneficial Nematodes

1667446073059.png

I herd bt will kill the larve i havent seen any adults and nothing on the potato yet. I plan to re do the heat process on the soil again possibly transplant the infected ones with new soil and completely clean the roots and maybe another bt bath. i only got to rid the pots of larve, which i read some where the bt will do. I am seeing less of the larve in the runoff. Just cant get over the lady at fox farms telling me these larve and gnats were benifical :rolleyes3:yikes::scratchinghead::rip:fungus gnat larve

Actually a Sierra Natural Science rep just came into the store today, he gave me a sample of SNS-203 it's their new product. Kills root aphids, white flies, thrips, fungas gnats, and their larvae.

Considering SNS is a 420mag sponsor I'd actually get that SNS-203 and try it out.

Back
Top Bottom