Fox Farms soil pH?

If my runoff is reading 3000ppm should I flush soft ph water until the readings are lower to get some of that salt build up out from the hard water or should I water as normal with a tad bit of runoff? Soil is fox farm with a little royal gold and natures living soil mixed in the bottom layer. Thank you! You been a big help and I appreciate it
I don't know anything about your runoff and can not interpret anything from your number. Measuring runoff ppm or pH in soil is a meaningless number. Based on that arbitrary number I would not take any action. Just water as normal at the proper pH with a little bit of runoff, and if you start noticing a slowdown in water uptake due to a salt buildup, then flush with 3x the container size of water.

If your still gathering info, Pulled a slurry test 10/5/19, distilled H2O(7.1pH/0ppm, Happy Frog @ 2:1, set 24 hrs, strained thru tea,coffee filter once. 6.8pH/611ppm.
I'm using a 10g fabric pot, and put it out in a 2 day drizzle,( 6.5p/4ppm) the soil was damp with very little run-off, slurry test results,10/25/19 6.6pH/707ppm.Don't know if this is residual or not, Hope this helped.
I have a couple questions please:
FFHF is recognized as a"cradle to grave" medium on every site I've visited. Going further, most growers on forums don't apply til week 5/6 into the veg, FF's schedule has application from almost day one. Being green to indoor growing, you'll pardon my confusion.
I'd like to drop my soil pH a few more points. I have on hand: fast acting Sulphur(Ca12%/S33%),Aluminum Sulfate(S 16%). What would be your choice?
I read your opinion on using well water vs RO, My tap 7.1pH/298ppm. I'm sold on the RO, You mentioned citric acid as a lowering agent, will grape juice concentrate work? Do either affect the "microcritters" living in the soil?

FFOF & PH runoff in mid-5's. Added perlite & dolomite lime - about 5 TBSP per 5 gallon soil, then top-dressed with 3 more TBSP and the soil PH WILL NOT COME UP!! Have 5 week old autos that I fed 1/4 dose of medi-one and cannot get PH up whatever I do. Semi-flush with 7.2 water and PH still came out at 5.5! Really discouraging. Last run with same soil, perlite and no dolomite had no issue.

FFOF & PH runoff in mid-5's. Added perlite & dolomite lime - about 5 TBSP per 5 gallon soil, then top-dressed with 3 more TBSP and the soil PH WILL NOT COME UP!! Have 5 week old autos that I fed 1/4 dose of medi-one and cannot get PH up whatever I do. Semi-flush with 7.2 water and PH still came out at 5.5! Really discouraging. Last run with same soil, perlite and no dolomite had no issue.

Hey VG,

It looks like there may be issues already with folks testing runoff and reporting that info and not doing a proper slurry test. I would be suspicious of readings taken from soil probe type ph meters. You might need to define the proper slurry test protocols to get accurate input.

Edit to add:

Hey newbie1212, this is an old post from last year, I jumped in on another grave digger post without checking dates

My plants that have a better PH run off reading are doing much better than the ones with extremely low PH runoff, so I would say that runoff does mean something! Slurry test is not so easy to do when there isn't a ton of soil to spare in the pots.

Edited to add that these older posts still show up on google searches and are still helpful to people!

My plants that have a better PH run off reading are doing much better than the ones with extremely low PH runoff, so I would say that runoff does mean something! Slurry test is not so easy to do when there isn't a ton of soil to spare in the pots.

Edited to add that these older posts still show up on google searches and are still helpful to people!
Is there a reason why the soil used in the slurry test cannot be put back?

Back
Top Bottom