Fox Farm Ocean Forest pH?

Cannalove420

Hello cannabis lovers I have a serious question for the ones with experience from using fox farm ocean forest. Do you guys recommend adjusting ph while growing organically? I mixed my ffof With nature’s super soil so I won’t be using bottle nutrients so would I still adjust the ph? I know the soil is buffered to 6.2-6.8 but with my well water having a high ph value I’m afraid my soil will become to alkaline. Thanks!

Hello cannabis lovers I have a serious question for the ones with experience from using fox farm ocean forest. Do you guys recommend adjusting ph while growing organically? I mixed my ffof With nature’s super soil so I won’t be using bottle nutrients so would I still adjust the ph? I know the soil is buffered to 6.2-6.8 but with my well water having a high ph value I’m afraid my soil will become to alkaline. Thanks!
Our plants are very adaptable and as long as our soil is reasonably close to the natural 6.1 pH of our plants, they can be perfectly happy living in a wide range of soils. The only reason we need to concern ourselves with pH other than this is if we are intending to use synthetic nutes that are only able to become mobile within a certain pH range. If we are not concerned with the need to break apart these nutes, the other concern about pH is with the microlife. If our water supply is way too alkaline or acidic, the microlife will suffer, so we do have to stay as close to neutral as we can manage. There are also studies that show that very alkaline water will react against the organics in your soil, making the soil itself go alkaline over time.
That being said, FFOF and high pH well water are actually quite compatable. The high limestone levels of the well water react against the broken down peat and spagnum in the FFOF in a very lovely way, offsetting each other and bringing the soil right to where you want it to go. You should have no trouble maintaining an organic grow in this sort of system, IMHO.

Our plants are very adaptable and as long as our soil is reasonably close to the natural 6.1 pH of our plants, they can be perfectly happy living in a wide range of soils. The only reason we need to concern ourselves with pH other than this is if we are intending to use synthetic nutes that are only able to become mobile within a certain pH range. If we are not concerned with the need to break apart these nutes, the other concern about pH is with the microlife. If our water supply is way too alkaline or acidic, the microlife will suffer, so we do have to stay as close to neutral as we can manage. There are also studies that show that very alkaline water will react against the organics in your soil, making the soil itself go alkaline over time.
That being said, FFOF and high pH well water are actually quite compatable. The high limestone levels of the well water react against the broken down peat and spagnum in the FFOF in a very lovely way, offsetting each other and bringing the soil right to where you want it to go. You should have no trouble maintaining an organic grow in this sort of system, IMHO.
Thanks! Very informative and your response eased my mind. That would explain why my last grow went quite smooth while not adjusting ph in the fox farm soil. Would it benefit to add lime or sulfer to the top soil to help it maintain the ph? or would that be a bad idea?

Back
Top Bottom