From Clone in an AeroGarden to an Ebb & Flow

Half Pipe

I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble/experience in transplanting a clone from an "areogarden" to an "ebb and flow" system? Im transplanting mine into pots filled with clay pellets only. How long do I let the plant grow for after the roots have start showing or about 1 week after cutting? How long before I can transplant into pots w/clay pellets and then move them into the ebb and flow system?

Re: From Clone in an "Areogarden" to an "ebb and flow"

Hello, please is there nobody? fairly simple question I thought, LOL! Should I have said or worded something differently, lol? I wanted to know whats the best time to transplant clones from an areocloner into hydroton clay and what is a good "nute ppm" strength to start feeding clones once they are in my ebb and flow system to start my SOG style grow?

I guess you could put them in now if you really wanted to.
Some folks will grow the roots out real big before transplanting,
some will veg all the way through and then transplant. Up to you really.
As long as there are roots, somethings gonna go down.

Are you gonna go 12/12 right away or gonna veg 'em out more in the ebb n' flow?

K

Thanks Korloin. I want to go full on SOG style, but I think Im going to go with 1 week longer. Most true SOG growers go right into flower 2 weeks after being cut from the mother. Im thinking if I let them go for 3 weeks after cut they will be a little bigger and yield a little bit more. It should be well worth the wait if I just let them stay 1 extra week in the areogarden. They do just fine in there and growth rate is very good. So my theory should pay off I hope. We will see. I might be able to almost double my GPW! well thats my goal anyways.
I guess you could put them in now if you really wanted to.
Some folks will grow the roots out real big before transplanting,
some will veg all the way through and then transplant. Up to you really.
As long as there are roots, somethings gonna go down.

Are you gonna go 12/12 right away or gonna veg 'em out more in the ebb n' flow?

K

Ah! I see you've been on 420fied's new journal.
Not much I'll be able to add from there. :)
He's definitely one of the best growers to learn from, especially for SOG!
I've picked up insane amounts of info from his posts.:adore:

I have a feeling he's going to bust 2gpw easily w/ his new set up!

:thumb:

:peace:

K

Are you going to journal it? It's the best way I've found to get great real time guidance.
Let me know if you do, I'd like to see where your going!

:roorrip:You got me, Yes for sure!! LMAO! I think 420fied is on his way to that 2gpw mark for sure. I can only hope to follow in his foot steps. my set up is a little different, but with some tweaking I could have some real success myself. I plan on starting my first journal very soon. everything is in place and running ok. just have to get the journal started really. Kinda still getting to know the in and outs of this website so I can be better prepared for Q & A once journal starts. I want to be able to direct people where to go on the site properly. Hey which brings me to a question for you How do you add those links all like you guys have on the bottom of your posts?

On your profile page, in the left column there is an option to edit your signature.

I was wondering if anybody has had any trouble/experience in transplanting a clone from an "areogarden" to an "ebb and flow" system? Im transplanting mine into pots filled with clay pellets only. How long do I let the plant grow for after the roots have start showing or about 1 week after cutting? How long before I can transplant into pots w/clay pellets and then move them into the ebb and flow system?

Hi, just saw this. I have done this exactly, and it works quite well. You just have to keep the Aerogarden from pH swings. Check it twice a day to stay on top of it.

Hi, just saw this. I have done this exactly, and it works quite well. You just have to keep the Aerogarden from pH swings. Check it twice a day to stay on top of it.

I do check often, but the areogarden nutes are ph balanced and hold quite well, Its when I go to the ebb and flow when I have had issues. I think Ive somewhat solved some issues. I over water & over feed em right after trans and really hurt them bad they are trying to make a slow come back. Now that I have been given the right advice Im moving forward. I have another 7 clones ready here is a pic of em. Check out the pretty white roots, very healthy! they are going to shoot this week.
plant_growth_026.jpg

plant_growth_027.jpg

plant_growth_0023.jpg
plant_growth_0033.jpg

root_growth_001.jpg

root_growth_002.jpg

Im going to wait to transplant on Feb.1 so I can change to 12/12 light cycle in the room. to kick it in to full SOG. then start taking clones regularly..

I had a "?" for you, Why do you fill your entire ebb and flow tubs with clay? is it because of algae? I just started having that problem. I'm seeing algae growth in tub where light can easily get to within a 4 days of cleaning and doing a res. change. I recently put a wedge under system to help flow back into res. and see if that helps from leaving any standing water that would promote algae growth. what are your thoughts sir?

WOW! Really beautiful roots! Now, carefully set that in a net cup, and lightly fill with expanded clay. Get them set into place in your Ebb&Flow, and lightly mist with water, and let the Ebb&Flow fill once, and drain and first run is WATER ONLY. Let that sit for about 24 hours, then turn the timer to run, and let it go as normal. In your res mix up a 1/4 strength nute solution, and use that for 7 days. Discard the rest, and refill with 1/2 strength, and let that run for 14 days. Then discard that and repeat with 3/4 strength for another 14 days. At the end of all this you will probably be ready for full strength, but watch the plants for the next 7 days with the full strength nutes to be sure.

During all this, you should be checking the pH twice a day to make absolutely sure that it stays between 5.5 and 6.1. If your pH is between those two, do nothing. ONLY IF IT IS OUT OF RANGE should you adjust pH to bring it back to optimal 5.8 pH. As your plants carry out their life processes the pH will rise and fall normally as they use different nutrients throughout the day. This is nothing to worry about and nothing is needed as long as the pH does not go below 5.5, or above 6.1.

During the 14 day cycle, I don't even usually check EC/PPM unless pH was way off. What I mean by that is that I check EC/PPM when I mix up my solution to make sure it's at the proper level. Then, I don't worry about it again until I am mixing the next batch 14 days later. Now, in my pH dropped sharply to below 5.0, that would be the only other time I check EC/PPM to make sure that I am still at the proper nute strength. Odds are, the plants took up a lot of water, but rejected the nutrients, and thus increased the concentration of the nutrients in the water that is left in the res. This will often cause a sharp pH drop. To fix, I simply add pure, clear water until the proper EC/PPM is achieved. This in itself often raises the pH back to normal range, as adding 7pH water decreases the acidity of (dilutes) the solution it is being added to. Once EC/PPM is in range, I still check and if needed and balance for proper pH.

Now, as for placing them into their pots... I usually hold the plant so that the top of the root ball is just barely below the lip of the pot, and gently... oh, so, gently back fill with hydroton so that it gently rests around the plant and fill it above the lip so that my pellets fall back into the tray beneath, then I place that whole unit into the Ebb&Flow. Don't try to get the roots to come out the bottom, because as you do this it will damage the roots. Now, some damage will inevitably occur, but I try to keep this to a minimum by choosing a time that I am not rushed, and working slowly so I can reduce the amount of damage done to the roots.

If you rush it, you'll crush it.

Ok I think I understand most everything you said. So If Im doing SOG style and these clones go straight to flower once in the ebb and flow do I still follow that feeding regiment you discribed? wont they be almost done by the time I get to full nute strength? as i type this it seems like a stupid question, but Im just trying to understand you clearly ya know? What about additives and supplements? how do i measure out the proper amounts to get ppm levels where I want when Im adding/mixing them to my base nutes?

Ok here is the nutes I put in my reservoir for right now: I'm using RO water that starts at 5ppm truely good RO. I add 1 tsp per gallon of GH calmag, then 1/4 tsp per gallon of Dutchmaster zone (which doesnt have a lot of ppms once added to the water), then my base is from Areogarden its a 1 part complete 13 base macros and micros with organic buffers make it a ph balanced nute. This works very well, I used it thru my first grow. I'm trying to finish it up. then I'm switching to BPN products. So If I understand you correctly, all this is ok? I just need use 1/4, 1/2, 3/4 strength of my Base nutes and or any other supplements I would need beyond what I have listed here?because of the RO water, I need the calmag at that strength right? just following directions on the bottle it usually gets me to about 350 ppms once its added.

oh ya and I had a "?" for you, Why do you fill your (entire) ebb and flow tubs with clay? are they in individual pots beneath with a layer of clay around them? is it because of algae? I just started having that problem. I'm seeing algae growth in tub where light can easily get to within a 4 days of cleaning and doing a res. change. I recently put a wedge under system to help flow back into res. and see if that helps from leaving any standing water that would promote algae growth. what are your thoughts sir?

Going straight into flower you could accelerate things a bit... The added P and K in the flower nutes will help grow stronger roots faster. 1 day clear water, 7 days 1/4, 14 days 1/2, then go full... Those roots are pretty well deevloped, your plants could probably handle it. Just watch them for signs of stress/yellowing/spotting.

cool thank you!!! I was wondering? I was going to buy more clay anyways, so now I will just get a bigger bag. lol!

Ah, yes, Algae is a problem, easily solved by covering the whole thing with expanded clay. Plus it makes things a bit more stable, overall, and holds things in place better.

Sorry 'bout that.

Back
Top Bottom