From what point do you begin calculating "the flowering period"?

Bolivar

Do you figure from the first day of 12/12, or when preflowers start, or from something else? I need to pin it down because I started 12/12 before any sex characteristics showed, and I've since heard that I should have waited. Did I move the beginning point one way or the other by doing that?

For instance... I started 12/12 on Nov 9, so next Monday (Dec 14) will be 5 weeks from then. Should I start figuring from Nov 9 then, or on Nov 15 when sex characteristics started showing, or maybe from Nov 25 when I first noticed definite male flowers on one? (The rest started showing definite female flowers a few days later.)

you can count your days how ever you like.. what is important is when you harvest that the trichomes are the color you want.

Thanks for the replies. I am going to harvest according to the trichs, I just wanted a log entry showing how long each strain took to harvest, and to make sure if I shared the info with someone, that I'd be starting from the same point (mentally) as the person I was sharing the info with.

So unless I hear different, I'm starting at the day I began 12/12.

Thanks again, guys, for weighing in.

Do you figure from the first day of 12/12, or when preflowers start, or from something else? I need to pin it down because I started 12/12 before any sex characteristics showed, and I've since heard that I should have waited. Did I move the beginning point one way or the other by doing that?

For instance... I started 12/12 on Nov 9, so next Monday (Dec 14) will be 5 weeks from then. Should I start figuring from Nov 9 then, or on Nov 15 when sex characteristics started showing, or maybe from Nov 25 when I first noticed definite male flowers on one? (The rest started showing definite female flowers a few days later.)

As was said, go from when you started 12/12.

HOWEVER, for this grow at least you did move the beginning point since the plants weren't sexually mature.

If the plants had been sexually mature, what you saw on Nov 25 would have occured more towards Nov 15. Does this make sense?

You may have gone to 12/12, but it took the plants another 2 weeks or so to reach sexual maturity and then begin flowering.

No big deal, it just added a couple of weeks to the flowering time. Next time, wait till sexual characteristics are showing in veg and you will get a more accurate time frame for that strain when you go to 12/12.

DD

HOWEVER, for this grow at least you did move the beginning point since the plants weren't sexually mature.

If the plants had been sexually mature, what you saw on Nov 25 would have occured more towards Nov 15. Does this make sense?

You may have gone to 12/12, but it took the plants another 2 weeks or so to reach sexual maturity and then begin flowering.

No big deal, it just added a couple of weeks to the flowering time. Next time, wait till sexual characteristics are showing in veg and you will get a more accurate time frame for that strain when you go to 12/12.

DD

Yes, that's what I was thinking in the first place, and what prompted me to ask the question. So even though it's been 5 weeks since 12/12 started, I'm effectively in the 3d or 4th week of flowering.

Anyone know how people who run 12/12 from germination figure flowering time? I haven't seen a precise rule on that anywhere. Assuming that different strains have different total times, of course...

Yes, that's what I was thinking in the first place, and what prompted me to ask the question. So even though it's been 5 weeks since 12/12 started, I'm effectively in the 3d or 4th week of flowering.
Pretty much the case. Just a learning curve, next grow you'll be able to more accurately nail the time down.

Anyone know how people who run 12/12 from germination figure flowering time? I haven't seen a precise rule on that anywhere. Assuming that different strains have different total times, of course...

I can't figure why anyone would run 12/12 from germination. It just makes no sense to me. The plant has to go through stages and that takes X amount of growing time. No way around it.

DD

I can't figure why anyone would run 12/12 from germination. It just makes no sense to me. The plant has to go through stages and that takes X amount of growing time. No way around it.

DD

From what I've read, they do it to keep the plant height as low as possible. I have no idea whether that's a valid or efficient tactic.

It actually keeps the plant from branching... Look around, there are some great 12/12 grows... It's not for everyone....:peace::ganjamon:
No Mercy Seeds 12/12 Hours 7 Harvests a Year System

OK, I just gave up on that No Mercy Supply site, even the English section is virtually all bad English, and I got tired of trying to make sense of it...

Any links to grows here? Searching for "12/12" gets WAY too many results that aren't relevant.

We all have our ways, I personally have not done a 12/12 grow and have no intentions of doing one... I have seen some very nice plants grown 12/12 so I will not knock it.. Most of the ones I have seen were not AF, and yes, you need lots of seeds...
There might be a few good old ones in the completed journals, as with everything some are better then others..

DD

DD, ok, now this is new to me - what are the sexual characteristics that show in veg?

Now Im off to research this.

I've done a few 12/12 grows. They are very good for getting your feet wet in the growing world. They most certainly have their place. And you can yield a fair amount off a straight 12/12.

I checked out your grow that you had to abort to go cross-country. I notice that those clones were apparently taken from flowering mothers. Can you get seed-grown plants to bloom as early as those did?
Here's one of your pics to show what I'm talking about:

01231.JPG

If I could get a main cola from 1-2 foot plants like that, I'd try it out in my Rainforest rig. I'm growing 4 plants in it now under a regular schedule and they're way too big for the area, both height and laterally.

most certainly. I have a 12/12 grow a couple before that one that i started from seed and I manipulated the lighting by bringing the plant inside and outside at correct times. Usually from seed it will take about 3 weeks to show sex, then it will flower right after that. as long as its female. Some strains will hit the 2-3 foot mark on 12/12. Most stay around 2 feet though. Hope that helps. + reps for the conversation starter.

Back
Top Bottom