Germination Help!

HugePeckerhead

So I have a current grow already going but I recently tried to germinate some White Widows. I put a couple into a shot glass filled with spring water ( room temp ) for about 12 hours. All 3 sank within that time so I then went to paper towel with room temp water. All 3 had roots in about 48 hours. Little less for exact time. ANyway....I waited til the root were about half in to inch long and transferred into soil. Planted root down with just a dusting of dirt over the top and kept soil very moist. Now 2 haven't even broke soil but one came out with its helmet still on. I tried misting to see if it'll fall off. Nothing. Waited about a day to see if the plant would grow.it off. Nothing. So I used tweezers and carefully removed it. While making sure it don't dry out I started low LED lighting. Below is a picture I just took with my tablet. ( sorry if it doesn't look to clear ) it has the cotolyedons and first leaves but are very small. So question is did I do the right thing or anything I could have done. The other 2 still.haven't broke soil get either. any help.please would be appreciated greatly.

Attachments

• IMG_20190718_075815.jpg
    IMG_20190718_075815.jpg
    516 KB · Views: 49
Welcome to the forum. Germination is a scary time.for all if us every time we do it mate. I have tried so many methods and ways just as others here too. I have drowned , cooked , dried out and crushed many too. lol.
My preference now is to use root It Starter cubes that keep the right amount of moisture for germing straight from the packet. It seems that soaking seeds is really for old stock that needs the kick start to allow water into the seeds inner shell. If the seeds are from reputable breeder and viable , then straight into a moist cube from the packet is a winner. Keep the block moist but not soaked. In a warm environment with a low wattage light source to encourage the first sign of seeds opening. I have a 100% success rate this way so far and it avoids handling the seed too much. It is so easy to damage the microscope hairs on the tap root with too much upheavel. They know which way is up and also when they are being tumbled around ! . lol
as long as you put them deep enough into the cubes they will turn the way they need to.
This is only my opinion and experience but works for me. good luck on your grow. Hope you do a journal for her she looks good so far but dont feed her until she jas about 3-4 decent nodes growing or the coty leaves start yellowing from being her first real meal in the real world.

Welcome to the forum. Germination is a scary time.for all if us every time we do it mate. I have tried so many methods and ways just as others here too. I have drowned , cooked , dried out and crushed many too. lol.
My preference now is to use root It Starter cubes that keep the right amount of moisture for germing straight from the packet. It seems that soaking seeds is really for old stock that needs the kick start to allow water into the seeds inner shell. If the seeds are from reputable breeder and viable , then straight into a moist cube from the packet is a winner. Keep the block moist but not soaked. In a warm environment with a low wattage light source to encourage the first sign of seeds opening. I have a 100% success rate this way so far and it avoids handling the seed too much. It is so easy to damage the microscope hairs on the tap root with too much upheavel. They know which way is up and also when they are being tumbled around ! . lol
as long as you put them deep enough into the cubes they will turn the way they need to.
This is only my opinion and experience but works for me. good luck on your grow. Hope you do a journal for her she looks good so far but dont feed her until she jas about 3-4 decent nodes growing or the coty leaves start yellowing from being her first real meal in the real world.
I think I'm gonna try that my next time around. Thank you.

I've taken the casing off a lot of seeds. I usually put them in dirt when the tail in 1/4 inch and bury 1/4 inch, but others use longer and diff depth. Looks good so far.
Ok. I was really iffy about doing it as I know avoiding contact improves germ percentage. I guess I was just being over anxious since it was my first germ of first time ordering seeds. Thanks for the response.

Back
Top Bottom