Germination?

Bumble

Well, my first germination process 2was soak the seeds for about 2 days or so, all 10 seeds cracked, then to soil,3 made it to mature plant and are now vegging,3 to 5 feet tall. So I got some northern lights auto from CKS and have followed the germination process they recommend. 18hr in water, rest in paper towel til rooted. 2 days and still no tap root. Do I leave em inn paper towel til tap is out? Sure sucks constantly setting the towel. And Is this a preferred method?

I would leave them in water.

If you want to go the paper towel method. Make sure it stays wet. Put the paper towel on a plate. Add water and cover it with a bowl.

Myself i would just plunk them in a bowl of water , keep them dark and slightly warm and be done with it.

In a bowl with a plate ontop, then place it ontop of your fridge would work. Just dont forget about them too long! :)

When I germinate, I put the seeds in a wet paper towel (folded up), I then place this paper town in a plastic lunch bag and add some water from the sink. I then put it in a dark location and periodically check on it to see whether the tap-root has sprouted or not. This can take anything from short amounts of time (24-48 hours) to approximately a week. The best seed specimens will sprout rather quickly once imbibed with water.

Once the taproot is showing, nice and white, then I drop the seed into a little hole in the moist seed starting mix, etc (whatever you prefer). Some people wait until the taproot is quite long (inches), however for me I usually plant when the taproot is showing and is no more than a centimeter.

Sounds like the first group wasn't allowed to develop enough tap root. If they are only cracked or showing a little tongue they can easily fall victim to bacteria and other microbes in the soil. It even happens on paper towel from time to time.

Keeping the towel moist is as simple as Nibec and Lester both mentioned. Anything will work. Baggie, dishes, jars etc. I usually use a small tuperware container. This will help your evaporation issues but can cause other issues. Wet, but no standing water is a rule of thumb for most. Bacteria love standing water. They also love a stale environment so no matter what you use make sure it gets air for at least a minute a day every day. Not the end of the world if you miss a day, but it's good to get into the habit. :)

For the CKS batch I would say maybe a little warmer.. not too much. More time.. and our good vibes :Namaste:

Thanks everyone. I'm just letting em sit. It's mid 90s were they sit so I think it's warm enough. Maybe time is the key. Thanks for all the input.

I don't recommend germinating at 90 F. Room temperature is better.

Well I followed the CKS process. Been in paper towel since Wed morning. Still no tap root. Also planted 1 seed alone in dirt Tuesday as well,still waiting. My other lil ones [3 Skunk seeds from a friend] tapped out in 1 day last week. They are in the garden with my older plants. My anxiety is puttering out on these BEANS. First time ordering and was hoping for a right out of the gate good start. The wonderful thing is there are billions of seeds left, just waiting to be grown! And they guarantee 80 % germination. So it's back to garden for me.

I go old school for germinating, but I've only had one seed out of the last 20 not germinate.
I soak the seeds overnight (8-12 hours) in plain room-temp tap water. Then they go directly into my grow medium that has previously been completely drenched. They go in 1/4 - 3/8" and get covered lightly with the "soil". Water in lightly. In three to four days they are up and at it.

Day 1
Beans7.jpg

Day 4
Day_436.jpg

Day 5
Day_526.jpg

And, the room temp is mid 90s, it's a greenhouse. It's FULL of vegetation that have all started from seed, including quite a few nice bushy weed plants. House is even hotter as we live off grid and have adjusted to real room temp[ running a.c. as lil as possible]. So that ensues my ever increasing worry that these beans are having issues. I'm a beginner so it comes with the territory. Lol

Yep more time.. a little cooler if possible. Wow, 90! lol. Many people (including myself) tend to go too cool. Bad experience with heat mats etc. It could be the seeds though. CKS has good germination rates, but no one is perfect. They are really good about replacements etc. Just be careful about how you word it when talking to them in regards to cultivation even if you are legal. These are collectors items as far as they are concerned. Maybe they just don't fit into your.. uh.. er.. show case quite the way you expected. You know, some terrible issue like that.

But for now, yep.. we wait a little longer :passitleft:

Well, these seeds did migrate down from Canada. Never thought about the warmth! Could be. Everthing I've grown has been preety acclimated to this climate so they pop in this warm environment pretty quickly. Still nothing tonight . I've put them to the side in some medium 4 inch pots. Keeping damp. Was really trying to get them sprouted before the 1st.that way they'll be ready when my others are ready. 81 day auto I believe. And my mystery girls should be about 5 ft tall and boomin. Can't wait.......

Well, these seeds did migrate down from Canada. Never thought about the warmth! Could be. Everthing I've grown has been preety acclimated to this climate so they pop in this warm environment pretty quickly. Still nothing tonight . I've put them to the side in some medium 4 inch pots. Keeping damp. Was really trying to get them sprouted before the 1st.that way they'll be ready when my others are ready. 81 day auto I believe. And my mystery girls should be about 5 ft tall and boomin. Can't wait.......������

I know the waiting is pain. Keep it up and just wait it out bit more. I sandwich with 2 pieces of wet cotton.

Back
Top Bottom