Gnats and Seedlings

swwilson20

I have looked for info regarding gnats and week old seedlings, most of the things I have found have been for older plants. Anyways, last night I was watching my plants grow and I noticed a gnat. Tried to kill it but it kept dodging me. This morning I had to water a plant and I lifted the pot and it was sitting on my dried up run off in my saucer, oppurtunity struck and I was able to smash it. I read up on it a little and it said let dry and blow more air to dry faster... Well I just watered and I will need to water another plant tonight. I saw using peroxide (1part peroxide to 4 parts water) would take care of it but I never could distinguish how old the plant was that the guy was talking about. So, week old seedling, can I use some peroxide or is 1 gnat no biggie?

I wouldn't sweat one gnat. You can put a layer of sand on top of the soil in your pot and it will help avoid the moisture seeking gnats. A glass with water, a couple drops of dishwashing liquid, and and ounce of beer mixed together and placed in your grow room will help kill them off too. Good luck.

Like rifleman has said, probably not a concern yet. I just got through a gnat infestation that was a nightmare.

I would suggest right now just hang a couple fly papers to catch those adults before they can breed more. Good precautionary step.

Sand on top of the soil did help me rid them but the plants did not like it at all! I'd hold that for last resort if they stated getting out of hand.

Back
Top Bottom