Google Earth Maps a Marijuana Grow

Ms. RedEye

420 Support
420 Staff
Google Earth, the extremely popular free satellite mapping software was used as a mapping device by Swiss authorities who announced today that they had found a large marijuana plantation while using it.

Police was investigating an alleged drug ring in the northeastern state of Thurgau and that the discovery was part of a large operation of an ongoing investigation that has so far led to the arrest of 16 people and the seizure of 1.2 tons of marijuana with a street value of $2.5 million USD, a cash and other valuables were seized as well with a value of over $800,000 USD.

Zurich police Norbert Klossner head of Special narcotics unit said that "It was an interesting by chance discovery."

The police plan to prosecute all the suspected drug dealers in February and press for prison sentences on all 16.

In the latest example of law enforcement using the Internet satellite mapping tool to nab criminals few questions and debate are coming out.

With the recent discovery of the prohibited plants, critics are asking whether the actual footage on a Google Earth was accurate at that time it was being used.

Government Officials are also troubled through the use of wealthy information online. New York City officials are one of those concerned about the vast information available on Web services.

News Hawk: MsRedEye: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: International Business Times
Copyright: 2009 International Business Times
Website: Google Earth maps a marijuana plantation - International Business Times -

More than a ton of weed....

:adore: :adore:

Not worthy... Thats kinda funny though, that google earth helped track down pot.

More than a ton of weed....

:adore: :adore:

Not worthy... Thats kinda funny though, that google earth helped track down pot.

not so funny imo. fucking bullshit.

Back in the 70's my family's property was photographed via low flying aircraft in Southern Oregon... Clearly indicating my brother's garden... They eventually were given a picture of the flyover. Was really cool, but at the same time... an invasion of our privacy. Any satellite/aircraft taking images that can identify things too closely is pushing it past my comfort zone, yet I see no issue in using such things to eliminate threats, so it's a double edged sword to me. I LOVE aerial images, and always enjoyed maps and print out items from TerraServer and Yahoo Maps in Aerial View mode. I DON'T use it to look in peoples back yards! I used it for camping and locating businesses to market to... but I feel the ability to zoom in by anyone other than Law Enforcement should be limited/eliminated. Many lives have been saved by our technology, along with many being destroyed.
I'm on the fence so often my crotch hurts! Argh! ;):cheer::thanks: for reading!

Back
Top Bottom