Got "The Claw" and purple stems

DROBB

After diagnosing and determining that I was over-fertilizing I flushed until water seeped out from the bottom. I noticed what i believe are purple stems and have decided i may want to add some bone meal now that I am flowering, and come to think of it I believe thats when I began to see the purple stems. I'm just wondering if I could get some feedback by looking at the pictures.Final Exam One - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery Im thinking not enough humidity or over-fert. Am I on the right track? And looking for "nanna's", any signs thus far? These are better pics than before.Gender - 420 Magazine Photo Gallery

what could possibly be wrong with my post here? Have I stumped the entire 420 community? Please advise your grasshopper.

First of all what's your PH? What's the new growth look like. It's been 7 days since you posted those pics. What's your temps at low/high? It's just hard to help when we don't have more info + most of the grow support people are on here in the evenings. ;-) What nutes are you using, and what strength are they at? It could be from over fertilization. Oh... From that last pic and angle I can't tell if any bananas are showing up. I can't see any, and I'm usually pretty good at that. ;-)

Hey Ms. Fox,
Thanks for the response I hope that I don't appear hostile to the community in any negative way but anyhow, I think my ph is around 8 (though my meter has never shown me otherwise) I'm using a Schultz brand plant food it is 10-15-10 and 1/2 strength, i just add it to the watering. Also I changed my lighting from cfl to inc. and I got a female for sure, but not sure if it is flowering the way it should be, seems slow but I am being patient and very observant. Max temp is 102 min is 69, humidity fluctuates between 25-55%. I made a box so I am still experimenting with it a little, got three computer fans circulating about 12 cubic feet of space, my main concern now is the flowering, I had some females showing but it seems they may be turning brown, normal? I'll look for some posts. The claw also seems to have ceased, still got the fan leaves intact which I think, is a good thing and the purpleness seems to be going away slowly. The new growth resembles seedlings growing from between the fan leaves and the stalk. Cut back to 12/12 one hour a day from 18/6. As always any constructive criticism is always accepted, humbly. Thanks!

Yep i figured, I'm being impatient, thanks again.

No problem, it's ok. ;-) Try to keep your ph between 6.5 and 7.5, and try adjusting your fans around to bring those temps down. 90-95 is considered very hot and should be the max. Humidity sounds good to me. Not too sure about your lighting, so you'll have to wait for someone else to help you with that. Hope this helps! ;-)

yeah after reading a post here on the site I found some answers and found that I didn't really need to ask the question being it was already out there, and I'll try to keep that in mind in the future. Thanks again and I really hope there are no hard feelings out there I was more anxious about getting an answer about my fert. issues, but thanks to Ms. Fox I got a little kick in the right direction. Kudos Fox!

on the purple side of things my experience has taught me the temp between night and day will bring out the purple. Sorry for this part coming up, lets say day time temps are between 22-25 deg C and night is around 12-15 deg C. I dont know F conversion but a change around 10-12 C will not only bring out the purp but will increase crystal and resin production.

I am sure there are other reasons that will also bring out the purp but this is one that I know does. IMHO.

I would also agree on the PH as my PH tester was on the fritz without my knowing about it and I ended up with a fair amount of purp too, before the plants took a big shit and I ended up with less than half what I usually get.

PH should never be higher than 6.5. temps should not be higher than 85 with 78 being ideal. Schultz is alright but there are a lot of better nutes out there. Did I read right? You switched from floro to incandescent lights? Why would you do that? Incandescents are the worse lights for growing. Floros or HID's are for growing. Some LED's work for clones/starts/veg but very few if any provide a decent flower. Any other lights are not for growing. Relative Humidity is OK but should be kept steady and as close to 55% as possible. Purpling is most likely from PH lockout which caused a phosphorus def. Correct PH. And last but not least...when you flush a plant you don't water till a little bit comes out the bottom. you pour at a minimum 3 times the volume of water that your container can hold. If your in a 3 gallon container you pour 9 gallons of water through the medium and container. What you did was just a heavy watering.

yeah I switched cause I thought I read that during flowering it would prefer an more red spectrum of light, kinda like the autumn sun, but i like the cfl better for the wattage, but not the watt per lumen rate. I had 12 cfl's with 2 inc. and switched to 5 inc. and 2 cfls, still about the same wattage but more concentrated lumens and redder (more red?) light. is it true about the heat and resin/crystal production? maybe something like fluctuating high heat one or twice a week? pardon all the brain picking but I love to experiment and love being able to talk to others with the same passion as I. Thanks!

Its definitely true, in nature the nights are cooler than day, we all know that. And late in the fall the temps between day and night are considerably different so try and do it during the last 2 weeks not before. I have always tried to duplicate nature as much as possible including less than 12 hrs of light in the last two- three weeks changing it in 1/2 hour increments every 5 days. I stumbled across the temp thing by accident but have used that method ever since.

Its all in the strain you are growing some have more of the purple genes. Kush, Blueberry are some of them. Its relatively easy to get them to show with these strains when all environmental conditions have been met and are good, others not so much. Some people strive for the purple although you wont notice it as much when dried. As far as taste goes I cant really say anything positive or negative, quality i have to say the same thing. I guess thats why I never explored it any farther or studied up on it. hope this helps maybe someone else can elaborate on the subject better.

Its all in the strain you are growing some have more of the purple genes. Kush, Blueberry are some of them. Its relatively easy to get them to show with these strains when all environmental conditions have been met and are good, others not so much. Some people strive for the purple although you wont notice it as much when dried. As far as taste goes I cant really say anything positive or negative, quality i have to say the same thing. I guess thats why I never explored it any farther or studied up on it. hope this helps maybe someone else can elaborate on the subject better.
I forgot to mention that the purple strain is more of a Indica trait than a Sativa so if the parent stock is a hibird crossing of the two which alot are you will see these traits show up easily with out stressing your plants. Years ago you could order Purple Indica seeds might still be able too. I haven't ordered or looked at seed suppliers for a while now.

purple is good as long as the genetics call for purple. Otherwise it could be a indication of a out-a-wack ph level or too cold of temps which locks out the phosphorus and causes the purple stems to occure. So to answer your question purple is good in purple strains or if induced by cold temps at the end of flower. Anything else could be a sign things aren't right.

Back
Top Bottom