Leaf curl - Claw - Purpling of fanleaf stems

leafty

Help needed!
i noticed about a week or so ago that i had one new leaf growth that was curling down at the sides so i didnt get overly concerned but today i have noticed quite a few new growth leaves doin the same. iv also noticed that purpling of the big leaf stems appears to be spreading and starting to effect the bud stems.
im thinking maybe under feeding as i didnt feed the plant for the first month. i have used miracle grow in veg but halved the recommended doseage and fed every second watering. watering every 2 days now. just gave the plant its first bloom feed tonight.

Re: leaf curl(claw) purpling of fam leaf stems

ok i think its due to under watering. i have been giving it 1.5 litres of water mostly every 2 days. it drains well and i have been using a gauge to check moisture which always reads as dry after 2 days. i have been trying to stop humidity rising when lights out and yesterday i decided to leave tent door open and today humidity has been at the target level with lights off so i think this is why the plant has suffered and showed more signs of leaf curl today as humidity has been kept down.

LOCATION- insulated attic/loft cupboard in tent
PLANT STRAIN-barneys blue cheese
PLANT FLOWERING-i think conventional but unsure if its an auto flower or conventional as seeds were bought about 3 year ago and gas lamp routine seems to encourage more pistol development
PLANT QUANTITY-one plant
ROOTED IN- budget potting soil with about 40% perlite. seems to drain well but does contain some moisture retain media
PLANT POT SIZE-roughly between 5-10 litre square pots
TENT SIZE-80cm/80cm/160cm
LIGHTING-250 watt duel spectrum HID 33000 lumens
LIGHTING CYCLE-gas lamp routine
AIR INTAKE-passive drawn from out door air
AIR EXHAUST-10CM/4INCH INLINE FAN exiting via house chimney breast manually switched on while light is running and when humidity creeps up
COOLING-oscillating fan
SMELL FILTRATION-currently passing through 3 home made inline carbon filters with purchased filter available when/if needed
TEMPERATURE AT CANOPY LIGHTS ON-27'C-29'C/ 80.6'F-84.2'F
TEMPERATURE AT CANOPY LIGHTS OFF-18'C-20'C/ 64.4'F-68'F
CURRENT HUMIDITY AT LIGHTS ON- lowest about 35%, highest about 75%
CURRENT HUMIDITY AT LIGHTS OFF- peaking at 75-85%
LIGHTS OUT TEMP CONTROL-provided by thermostatic radiator connected to house heating system
SEED PLANTED-baby jesus had sprouted from germination and then planted on christmas day and will be 8 weeks old on the 20th feb
CURRENT PLANT HEIGHT-17 inches.
WATERING-every 2-3 days 1-1.5 litres of water

0012195.JPG

iv got the humidity between 30-50% and temps are good low about 65, high roughly 78'f
before sunday my humidity was about 75-80 lights out but now i have that sorted by leaving tent door open. if i close tent door exhaust fan has to be left on to bring humidity down and as smell aint bad just now i dont want fan on.
is the purpling of the fan leaf stems normal. its beginning to show on the bud stems now but today was first sighting of it.

its been in flowering 6 days and its pretty crucial i think to have everything running smoothly at this stage but thats just a common sense opinion rather than me being experienced

Well it looks like you have things pretty organized, so that's great man, now lets see if we can figure out this problem.

Usually I see wilting as a sign of under/overwatering, or stress of some sort.

Can you think back and see if you changed anything a day or two, up to maybe a week before this wilting happened?

Any transplants? Cuttings on the plant? dig around in the soil? Did you increase/decrease nutes? try new nutes? Anything that might give us a lead will help!

Next, I might have missed it, but I didn't see a PH reading. What is the PH of your water/nutes? PH of soil? PH of runoff?

Purple fan leaf stems are pretty normal. You'll see it on lots of plants, and is considered normal. Usually the purpling appears mostly on the top of the stem, and it tapers off a bit as it wraps around the bottom, becoming almost like little spots of color.
And if you want to impress your friends, the scientific name for fan leaf stems is 'Petioles' :)

im thinking of increasing watering by an extra 0.5ltr. as the plant grows its obvious that it requires more water. the leaf curl was only noticeable in one place before.
what i changed the day before more leaf curl was noticed was that i left tent door open which brought humidity to where it needs to be when lights are out.
the ph of water is good here, round about neutral but i have only checked water before anything was added to it. now i have changed the to bio bloom so i might check it with that added but leaf curl started before bio was started.
off to work.

ok thanks for that antics. im listening what ur saying here.
i would say my environment has been good temp and humidity ways.
i dont have a gauge to test ph, i have an aquarium colour chart and test tube for testing ph with dye that you add but its tricky to judge a colour chart.
it doesnt seem to be a lack of watering as i added 0.5 ltr last night before bed and just now bottom leaves are drooping like too much water. i will test the water again tonight and test it with miracle grow added to see the difference although i wont be adding anymore miracle grow as its in flower stage and im now using biobizz bio bloom. i will test bio bloom also.
new leaf growth appears a little stunted.
i have 3 more seeds to plant but obviously dont want to run into problems when i do them.
i will post some more pics

ok so checked ph and yep its close to 7.
i have some ph down liquid so i have brought the ph down on my stored water to 6.6, the is no 6.5 on the colour chart so that should be close enough and i should have enough water to last til the end of the week. i wouldnt of thought that neutral water would of caused the plant problems but because everything has been working fine until now.
it would be great if some other 420 growers would agree that a ph7 instead of 6.5 could cause plant problems?

Try to water when lights come on so they have time to dry before they go to sleep and that will help with the humidity. 1 1/2 liters seems like a lot of water for every 2-3 day along with the soil having some wetting agent in it also. I would say let it dry out before you water again and see if she perks up.

cheers cruizer. yep i will have to do that now anyway as i had added extra water last night to see if that helped but the lower leafs drooped worse. the soil seems to drain well but it has went very granular/seperated near the top. i will do a ph test of the run off once it dries out. beginning to think the moisture test rod gauge i have is telling lies.

It's the Perlite taking over until it drys out, no more water until she feels light when you lift her up. How many and what size are the drain holes? maybe draining to good. Try and get airflow towards the soil to dry it out.

Back
Top Bottom