Grew A Strain I Don't Like

Has anyone other than me ever grown a strain that just doesn't work for you?

Last year, I gave away my entire Purple Auto and Lemon Auto crops because neither of them got me high.

This year, I harvested a couple of Gelatos in March and have tried it three times to no avail.

Going forward, I'm thinking about only growing one plant for each for the strains I haven't had before to see if I like it enough to grow more.

I also am a firm believer than the strain-specific terpenes are what determine whether a strain will work for me or not. Strains that work for me appear to be high in Caryophyllene (based on averaging between 3 different terpene websites). Myrcene, Humulene and Terpinolene are other common terpenes in the strains I like best.

The Purple, Lemon and Gelatos all were high in Limonene so now I'm thinking I should avoid growing strains high in Limonene.

Last year, I gave away my entire Purple Auto and Lemon Auto crops because neither of them got me high.

This year, I harvested a couple of Gelatos in March and have tried it three times to no avail.

Going forward, I'm thinking about only growing one plant for each for the strains I haven't had before to see if I like it enough to grow more.

I also am a firm believer than the strain-specific terpenes are what determine whether a strain will work for me or not. Strains that work for me appear to be high in Caryophyllene (based on averaging between 3 different terpene websites). Myrcene, Humulene and Terpinolene are other common terpenes in the strains I like best.

The Purple, Lemon and Gelatos all were high in Limonene so now I'm thinking I should avoid growing strains high in Limonene.
I haven't had a strain fail to get me high, but I have had a couple that I didn't like the high.
There was a version of Amnesia that I really didn't like. Very hard high, almost chemical. Kind of like when I forgot I'd taken my ritalin and took a second dose.
Cheese is another I didn't like. Very rough, chemical feel to it too.
Luckily the Amnesia is the only one I grew myself. I gave it to my neighbour and she didn't have any complaints.

Hi @HashGirl - yep, I'm with you
I've dumped loads of great bud that just didn't appeal to me
Tends to be the diesel/sour type stuff, though not overly keen on fruity stuff either
I want my weed to taste like weed, funky or hashy (Jack Herer :cool: ) - maybe a bit of earthy pine
Last harvest was Green Crack/Big Bud - they're both decent to smoke but I'm doing Nepali and Skunk on this run for some old skool flavors and a reliable hit

Skywalker OG seems like it might be a good strain for you to try. Myrcene and caryophyllene are listed as dominant terpenes, although limonene is also listed in the top 3.
Edit: I'll give you a vape report after harvest. Maybe it'll help you decide if you want to grow it.

I haven't grown any yet that I've hated but I haven't been growing that long.
I've been smoking for a while though... Any weed with lemon terps or a wet naps smell bugs the hell out of me.
It's same for the stuff that smells like laundry soap or tastes like paint. lol

Back on topic, I looked back at some of my least adoring reports
Gorilla Glue - tastes crap, dry throat and eyes, couldn't sleep just felt weird and horrible all night
NY Diesel - similar, but tasted even worse and the hit just made me feel shitty and antisocial
Heavy Grapefruit - lovely to smoke but totally f'ing spangling and too trippy for me - paranoia, anxiety etc

Back on topic, I looked back at some of my least adoring reports
Gorilla Glue - tastes crap, dry throat and eyes, couldn't sleep just felt weird and horrible all night
NY Diesel - similar, but tasted even worse and the hit just made me feel shitty and antisocial
Heavy Grapefruit - lovely to smoke but totally f'ing spangling and too trippy for me - paranoia, anxiety etc

So, what do you do with the stuff you don't like? The friend I gave the Purple and Lemon to hasn't asked for anymore since then.

And, I hate that I spent all that time growing something that does nothing for me. I definitely think that I will only grow 1 plant of a new strain until I determine whether I want to grow more of it or not.

So, what do you do with the stuff you don't like? The friend I gave the Purple and Lemon to hasn't asked for anymore since then.

And, I hate that I spent all that time growing something that does nothing for me. I definitely think that I will only grow 1 plant of a new strain until I determine whether I want to grow more of it or not.
If it's the flavour I'll water cure it for a few days so it has no taste or smell, or make butter
If the hit is paranoia/anxious/wired I give away what I can, then chuck the rest in the river - no good to me lol
It's a bit gutting chucking product but there's no point sticking it in the freezer just for the sake of it
I don't hate it though, I see it as good day/bad day; great strain/pissy strain, you take your chances

For me, it's just that these strains don't get me high at all.

For me, it's just that these strains don't get me high at all.
I wonder why? Would it be possible for you to get a sample of one of them tested?
A simple potency test is $30, and tests for THC and CBD.

I wonder why? Would it be possible for you to get a sample of one of them tested?
A simple potency test is $30, and tests for THC and CBD.

I haven't had anything tested yet but I want to test everything I grow. And, I'm more interested in the terpene analysis, which costs an additional $30, I believe. And, I don't see any point in sending something just to test the cannabinoids. I might as well get the terpene analysis done, too.

Another strain that doesn't appear to do anything for me is Amnesia but according to my research, it has terpenes that are compatible for me so I've saved a bit of it for testing. I don't have any Purple or Lemon left but I could submit the Gelato.

I haven't had anything tested yet but I want to test everything I grow. And, I'm more interested in the terpene analysis, which costs an additional $30, I believe. And, I don't see any point in sending something just to test the cannabinoids. I might as well get the terpene analysis done, too.

Another strain that doesn't appear to do anything for me is Amnesia but according to my research, it has terpenes that are compatible for me so I've saved a bit of it for testing. I don't have any Purple or Lemon left but I could submit the Gelato.
It depends on which Amnesia you had. I had an excellent experience with the Enemy of the State x Neville's Haze version (which I think is the original) but not with any of the other versions since. I've seen at least 6 different mixes called Amnesia from as many breeders on seedbank sites, so knowing which one matches the one you have could be tricky.
If it does match the terpenes your research found, that would eliminate one possibility though. And you would also have a basic cannabinoid level which would let you know if the HLVD possibility suggested by @CelestialNurseries could be right.

What is HLVD?
Hop Latent Viroid. It's supposed to be able to infect cannabis and results in lowered cannabinoid levels.
Does the weed from the plants that don't get you high have any effects for other people?

Back
Top Bottom