Grow Goddess from Michigan Says Hello!

Hi Grow Goddess,
SweetSue directed me here to ask you a question. Is it possible to mix CCO (Rick Simpson oil) with something to be used in a vape pen/cartridge?
I began vaping after already purchasing 3 grams of CCO and like the vape much better. Thanks in advance!

I am only familiar with alcohol extracted CCO (99% iso, 200 proof ethyl, etc.). I personally like to use Kosher PG/USP and will only mix enough to fill one tank for vaping. The more clean the oil, the longer it will stay infused. I do use light heat to ease the blending. Depending on the device you are using to vape will dictate the mix ratio. I have been able to do a 50/50 mix with mine.

I highly recommend switching to a box mod. If you don't like building your own coils, the KangerTech mini is a good tank and their sub ohm (0.5 ohm) vertical coil is great for cannabis oil. If you like building your own coils, I recommend the GeekVapes Griffin.

There are other methods of infusing the oil, not my preference though. You can use PEG, but it has a very nasty taste so you will have to add flavorings. It will stay infused longer, but the taste..... YUK. Another option is maybe just adding a few drops of EJmix with PG/USP. EJmix does have a bad taste as well, but not as bad as the PEG.

This method I have not tried, but would really like to. Using a homoginizer with VG or PG/USP. The homoginizer is about $1000!! I have heard though that the mix will stay infused for up to 3 months!

Lastly, if it is BHO or another type of solvent extracted oil and you want to mix it with PG/USP, I would guess that winterizing the concentrate with grain alcohol will allow proper infusion, and the product will be more clean too. I have not tried this, but others have with good results.

The clock is ticking. You have about a year before vaping tools become banned or unavailable.... Only time will tell.

Well Gigi, that's a very insightful look into the functional workings of a successful grow. I especially appreciate the creative way you participate in the game of not being totally seen. Hahaha! One of my favorite pastimes. Lol!

The duct tape on the cans..... For reinforcement, light blockage, or a bit of both? Also, when did you go to the 30 gallon cans, and, just because I'm curious, what benefits have you seen since the change? I lack the headspace, and now KR has me once again considering the value of SCOG growing for increased potency and a more consistent yield than I have been getting.

Have you been growing as a caregiver from the beginning of the state's legal program?

Well Gigi, that's a very insightful look into the functional workings of a successful grow. I especially appreciate the creative way you participate in the game of not being totally seen. Hahaha! One of my favorite pastimes. Lol!

The duct tape on the cans..... For reinforcement, light blockage, or a bit of both?
At first it was meant to keep light from getting to the roots. Then I realized another use. I can tape strings and sticks to the sides to tie branches back when needed.

Also, when did you go to the 30 gallon cans, and, just because I'm curious, what benefits have you seen since the change?
The large cans are around 20 gallon, maybe a bit less. When I was only running my 600W closet I used 13 gallon for flowering, but when I switched to the 2000Watt closet, I needed to increase the size of the flowering "pots" to accommodate adding soil (nutrients) until finished. The light intensity was causing the plants to demand more water and nutrients. I don't "fertilize" per say, but what I do is add fresh soil mix with organic nutrients to the top of the "pots" when nutrients are needed.
I do multiple transplants to avoid getting rootbound. Approximately 7 or 8 depending on whether or not I am using the 600W or 2000W closet. I start off with a rooted cutting, and work up from there.

I lack the headspace, and now KR has me once again considering the value of SCOG growing for increased potency and a more consistent yield than I have been getting.
I have about 8 feet from floor to ceiling. So that is about 7 feet from floor to lights and ventilation.

Have you been growing as a caregiver from the beginning of the state's legal program? Yes and no LOL! I had about 10 years prior experience growing for my own personal needs. After the law was enacted in MI, I was approached by qualified patients in 2009 and that is when I became a registered CG in MI

Hopefully my replies come through ok!! See above....

Hopefully my replies come through ok!! See above....

Thank you Gigi. Again, so insightful. My immediate plans are looking like the humid reaches of Louisiana, a challenge all its own for cannabis cultivation. With that move may come the opportunity to expand into a grow space with more height. I'd like to explore growing as a caregiver once I feel I can grow a consistent product. It's not as easy as it looks. :laughtwo: No way around it, experience matters. The site gets you leaps ahead in ideas and tutorials, but growing successfully is an instinct. I refuse to step into that arena without the confidence of a couple more years behind me.

The first two years here for me were lost in grief. I barely kept everything from dying on me after the first magnificent grow. :laughtwo: The curse of the instant home run. Lol! Now I'm starting to learn to do it as an art and an instinct. Such fascinating plants. I need stock on hand to do some of your oil.

How long do you typically cure before you produce oil?

How long do you typically cure before you produce oil?

I don't "cure" my product like many do. When I plan to make oil, what I do is allow the buds to get very dry then I put them in a jar with the lid secure. I will open it after a day or so and see if any moisture came through the stems, if so, I will leave the lid off overnight. This is a difficult task during the summer. The only room with AC is the grow room! LOL! Sometimes this takes a few cycles. When I am satisfied they are bone dry I will vacuum seal the jar.
vacuumseal_20170125_015.jpg

vacuumseal_20170125_017.jpg

Did I mention that I really like pictures?!? :cheesygrinsmiley:

I'm glad to hear you really like pictures. In case you haven't noticed, I've been posting pictures all over this site. :laughtwo:

We all love pretty pictures of anything and everything cannabis. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

So you store all yours vacuum sealed? Neat idea. I know the necessity of making sure they're dry. One of the things I won in the MOTY contest was a vacuum sealing storage jar, but I didn't make sure it was completely dry before I put the buds in there. They bgain to mold. :straightface: Thankfully, I caught it right at the onset. For some reason, the simple step of leaving them in the jar to check for moisture never occurred to me Gigi.

What's the smallest amount you've processed into oil?

I'm glad to hear you really like pictures. In case you haven't noticed, I've been posting pictures all over this site. :laughtwo:

We all love pretty pictures of anything and everything cannabis. :battingeyelashes: :green_heart:

So you store all yours vacuum sealed? Neat idea. I know the necessity of making sure they're dry. One of the things I won in the MOTY contest was a vacuum sealing storage jar, but I didn't make sure it was completely dry before I put the buds in there. They bgain to mold. :straightface: Thankfully, I caught it right at the onset. For some reason, the simple step of leaving them in the jar to check for moisture never occurred to me Gigi.

What's the smallest amount you've processed into oil?

I believe the smallest amount was 2 ounces, it may have been 1 though. That was for a no heat QWISO extraction. The smallest amount I have done using the RSO (heat decarbed) method is 4 ounces I believe. That was a few years ago, hard to remember for sure.
People have done as small as 1/4 ounce with success.
:cco:

O...Kaaayy!!...mosta that Dear "Grow Goddess went over my head. . .an I'm high as a Kite.. To hear your story and work is Worlds Away being from Nth Was Australia. No real hope of any change in laws that won't just turn out to be shackles for the *"Patients" while our families and friend affected are "loved ones" I have many limitations because of an injury but the biggest is not being able to have such science at hand to work with such an awesome. You make me wanna learn. Thanks all the best

Sent from my ZTE T815 using 420 Magazine Mobile App

O...Kaaayy!!...mosta that Dear "Grow Goddess went over my head. . .an I'm high as a Kite.. To hear your story and work is Worlds Away being from Nth Was Australia. No real hope of any change in laws that won't just turn out to be shackles for the *"Patients" while our families and friend affected are "loved ones" I have many limitations because of an injury but the biggest is not being able to have such science at hand to work with such an awesome. You make me wanna learn. Thanks all the best

I have been where you are and know what you are talking about.

Before the Michigan Medical Marijuana Program went into effect, I was growing "underground". I was too paranoid to step foot into a hydroponic shop and way to paranoid to shop around online. All I had was a book by Mel Frank from the 80's and some bag seed.
MelFrank_GrowersGuide_7-16-14_030.jpg

I knew that outdoor lighting typically used HPS lamps so I went to my local industrial lighting supply shop and purchased two 400W HPS wall pack fixtures. I got my hands on some sheet metal and formed the pieces into hoods and used a rivet gun to hold them together. I hung the ballast under the closet floor and extended the wires for the light socket to reach the hoods I made. I used large 4", high power bathroom exhaust fans for ventilation. I used some cooling fans meant for small electronics for extra air movement under the lights. Primitive, but it worked! Well worth all the effort compared to the alternative, purchasing very low quality product off the streets.
800W_closet_016.jpg

I put a fake furnace pipe on the roof to exhaust the grow closet. Fortunately, I was acquainted with carpenters who asked no questions about my intentions. All they cared about was getting paid for the work they did!! I'm sure they had a good idea of what I was doing.

I followed the advice of Mel Frank and told no one what I was doing. The grow was completely stealth. I did this for about 8 years until the law was enacted in MI.

As you can see, you can grow ganja with the simplest of equipment.
800W_3x4_grow_089.jpg

800W_strain_7_012.jpg

I am not advising anyone to break the law. I do however, hate to see people have to go without medicine that works.

Eventually I replaced the (2) 400Watt fixtures with (1) 600Watt set up, and added a 6" can fan to replace the noisy bathroom fan! It also reduced the energy used. I still use the closet once in a while.

I love pictures too, so thank you for inspiring this trip down memory lane.

I started out wanting to keep my husband high until he died. Huh! From such simple beginnings.....

All I had was a closet measuring 33" wide x 13" deep and about 5.5' of headspace. Not a lot to work with and even less money with a dying husband on disability, but you can't keep a driven woman down, can you Gigi?

I started by reading Tulip's excellent tutorial on CFLs. Then I went to Lowe's, bought some wire, sockets, power strips and a variety of CFLs, mostly 23watts, and went to work.

image18964.jpg

I spent lots of time playing with the girls, doing my best not to burn the leaves. It was my first time growing cannabis, and I really didn't have much expectation to get much from the first run.

image19882.jpg

My first official harvest. :blunt: 4.5 oz from the two girls.

image20238.jpg

With a little ingenuity one can grow high-quality anywhere. Good grief, they grow them in space buckets!

I was spoiled by good soil and unbelievable luck at following my impulses. Guess I was doing it right back before I thought I had to do so much work. Huh! My second moment of insight here in one day. Hmmm.... must be something to the Goddess thing you weren't expecting. :laughtwo:

I never bothered to learn the science of growing cannabis, the interaction of soil and plant, beyond the most rudimentary levels. Now I'm so immersed in the study of oils and the ECS that I'll fall back on the safety of Doc's Kit to grow the quality from a soil perspective and pick up the knowledge base I need as I go.

Environmental control is my expectation for this year. Learn the kit, control the environment, add better lights and "POW!" Resin-rich harvests on their way to becoming high-quality oils. I've been very impressed with the difference the COB lights make, and I'm hoping to add a couple more.

Nice visiting Gigi. Off to help the daughter schlub castoffs to the dumpster. Have a great day. You too Kush Girl. :ciao:

That's Good to know , one can only hope. I am skeptical and at The Quiet end.. Of The social strata..therefore I am lead to believe the same controlling powers ; The Law... The Criminals.... The "Business men" won't want to lose an income or an easy non threatening target to have something to do when there is nothing to do and ...I could go on... haha but Perhaps that's for the "activism page"
Amazingly a friend was given the book you mentioned to add to her Gardening Horticulture Library. She used to travel the word sourcing various orchids, palms etc. She.!. Gave it to me ... that's two people in 2 days so i will take that as "good direction".
Mate ...as for "breaking The !! Law... Well its illegal to cross double lines... But I'll be using those laws as "guidelines" when they don't need to be broken if by : refusing to suffer loss, death, ill health,....haha .. bad economy. I mean its common knowledge, here, "ya local coppa" (aussie accent implied heavily) controls who does.... And who do not and they're already making ...a pretty penny...I imagine "they"... "The Man" will find knew, legal more kosher ways of defrauding us of our God Given Rights...Mans law don't apply! When its in total violation of Principles and products that benefit mankind.. Oh crap.. "Activism"... Thank you ..I am very lucky to have access to a site such as this, around peaceful like minded "males and females".. Originals! As it were.. We're the breeders. Breed on Breed out the bad
Breed in the good. Cheers

Hi Grow Goddess,
Just wanted to welcome you to the community as you welcomed me, when I joined a few days ago.
Thank you for your greeting and interest and would like to follow if you don't mind.
I have yet much to learn about all the benefits of this great plant and decided to grow mostly
high cbd strains for personal healing. So I'll just be reading along to learn about the many possibilities.

Hey Grow Goddess we bumped into each other in a few journals, So..I just came here to hang out with the cool kids! GG that G-4 looks great! I enjoy this information on oils etc. First hand accounts are the best. what wonders will this thread hold? I'm excited! Thankful for you sharing! Are you thinking of doing a grow journal? It would be epic!

Back
Top Bottom