Guys could do with some advice

Headstomper

A friend of mine has come into crisis, he has a plant that is 5 weeks from harvest, something has come up and he can no longer keep the plant where it is. I have 4 plants i was about to switch to 12/12 anyway and he has asked me to babysit his girl for the last 5 weeks. his plant is around 5 ft and mine are around 2.5 ft. Is there any way i can help my friend without compromising my own crop? i have a 1.2m x 1.2m x 2m tent running a 250w hps he would prob be able to lend me a 400w hps or 600w hps i'm just not sure if his girl will take too much room and light from my girls.

i have been offered half the harvest from his girl as compensation for the trouble i just need to work out if i will loose out in the long run

Many thanks for your time
:Namaste:

Hello mate if your going to have his plants then i would definitely recommend upping the light! how much room are your plants taking up at the moment? (pics would be a great help) if you can get a 400 or 600 in there then i think it would be worth it because your plants will also benefit from it. have you got a contactor relay to take the load of a big light so you won't blow your timer?

It depends on how bushy the plant is, although you could always tie a couple branches up so they'd be out of the way. But more than likely there's a way to make room. Downsizing on the other 4 plants containers or something.

give me a sec i'll take a pic ;) i think the only choice i have is put mine to the corners and place his in the middle (hoping as mine will just be going to 12/12 the lower amount of light wont do much damage as the 1st 2 or 3 weeks on veg is slow) or put his once side and mine the other (with seperate lights). ive got loads of herbs and 10 cuttings in there atm as they are actually still on veg (just taking advantage of light not being used) ive recently aquired a led panel which isnt very powerful but will keep the cuttings and herbs going so they are not an issue

Putting them in the corners sounds like a good idea, I was picturing committing one side to the larger plant.
Also keep in mind that plants, once put into flower will stretch quite a bit. The shorter plants might end up being the same height as the 5' plant.

this is how i would do layout 1
question_003.jpg

This is layout 2 and the amount of floorspace
question_003.jpg
question_001.jpg

Hope this helps you guys help me out ;)
I put my plants into those pots last night so downsizing pots at this stage really wouldn't be any problem

really dont have a prob with them stretching ive kept them realy tight and bushy all through veg and kinda know they will stretch during flower. this is not the position i was expecting to be in but you sometimes gotta roll with the punches as long as i get a few oz per plant (mine) i can last till my next one where i plan to make a nice bonsai mum and do a sog

Well to me it looks like you have ample room. There is going to be some space invasion though.

Either layout looks good too. The first one with them in the corners would work best if the larger one isnt too bushy, you may even be able to scoot them closer. But if the larger plant has branched out a lot then I suggest the separated sides. With a larger light your only problem should be the smaller ones getting tangled and stealing each others light.

My hypothesis..

hopefully all will be clearer when the girl shows up, my thinking was on corners to start with. (was only worried they wouldnt get enough light to start flowering properly) was figuring the alien girl will only be in there for 33.3% to 50% of the total flower time of the natives so the most important bit they will have optimal lighting. tbh if i did 1 side each his would have the 250 mine would be on the 400-600w as they would be behind

Really dont have a prob with tying his girl up (know it sounds wrong) but surely i have to protect my interests here too

Of course, 50% of one plant might not make up for what the others lose. Those are 100% your assets.
Also the majority of flowering growth is in the first main part of flowering. By the time the bigger plant is done the others most likely are not going to grow anymore. Besides the buds ripening.

annnd I didn't think that you would be using two lights. If you manage the heat then you won't have any problems due to them not getting enough light. Possibly even too much light. But hey I'm only a beginner as well.

If this were my situation I'd separate the sides and give the 4 as much room as I could. If they are not getting enough light from being in the shadows, their instinct will be to stretch towards the light and acquire what they need.

Here are my thoughts....

1... looks like you have enough room in your tent for a large plant so for that aspect you should be good...

2... running a 600w light is going to raise the heat quite a bit more than a 250W light....so if you use the 600w, you will need to have an air cooled hood and fan or your temps may get too high...

3. running a 600w light costs a little more than double the cost of a 250w light to run so be prepared for a higher electric bill, however, on the flipside, a 600w light will give you quite a bit more final dry weight than a 250w light will give you...

4. If you bring your buddie's plant into your grow environment. You may also be bringing in pests or diseases, so make sure to fully inspect the plant and soil for thrips, fungus gnats, and other pesties....

Overall I would say the benefit's outweigh the disadvantages, I would do it, as long as his plant doesn't compromise your growing ladies :)

Back
Top Bottom