Hanging basket growing

Here’s my improvised tomato cage hanging basket plant. She’s a Dream Queen grown from seed, about 8 weeks old. Wish me luck!! 🍀
4509638A-314F-4A5A-827A-DDCE8D0880F3.jpeg
FE42F262-56BA-4409-B15E-800936353DF7.jpeg
66F88C81-268F-4163-8F02-F69F2ACB389E.jpeg

Just to try it lol.
As good a reason as any other.;) I can support that line of thinking.:)

I want to train the branches downward using fishing weights
If you are just about anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere you are running out of time to pull it off.

Here are some suggestions based on how I would do it.

I would take the pot down and keep it on one of my picnic or patio tables. That eliminates having to worry about the cables, wires, or the rim of the plastic pot from breaking or coming loose. The plastic in the pots can dry up and become brittle and weak. Come to think of it I would take off all that extra stuff so it looks like a typical grow situation.

I want to train the branches downward using fishing weights
The next step would be to cut off the main stem about a 1/3 of the way up. All the growth that gets removed can be cut into small pieces and the cuttings treated as any other attempt to get some clones going for later growing projects.

Since the tomato cage is removed it will make it easier to work with the remaining side branches. A bit of squeezing, crushing and bending of those stems in the right area will make those spots soft enough so it becomes easier to train then out to the sides and down. Fasten the fishing sinkers to keep those branches in some sort of hanging appearance. Otherwise the plant's natural tendency will be to try to grow all those remaining branches pointing up as @Lerugged mentioned earlier.

Next summer, if I wanted to try again I would start earlier and go for the mainline or manifold look but with the branches hanging down instead of just out to the sides. I would also use a typical hanging pot with just the 3 leads going down to the rim of the pot. Makes it a lot easier to work with the plant when there are fewer wires and extra stuff in the way.

Since the usual hanging pots tend to be smaller than what you have going right now it will mean a change in the fertilizing. Something to keep in mind.

The other way to do it would be to get a bucket with a lid. Fill with soil and close the lid. Flip the bucket over onto the lid and drill a fat hole in the bottom of the bucket ( bottom is up in this case). Get your sprout or seeds and pop it into the hole. Once the plant is about 20cm you can flip it over and hang it by the handle. The plant will now be pointing straight down and you can then use weights to keep them from trying to come up again.
You would need to water carefully so that the water doesn't run down the stem and right over your plant.
Just a thought. I've done it with tomatoes this way. Not sure about the doob though

As good a reason as any other.;) I can support that line of thinking.:)

If you are just about anywhere in the Northern Hemisphere you are running out of time to pull it off.

Here are some suggestions based on how I would do it.

I would take the pot down and keep it on one of my picnic or patio tables. That eliminates having to worry about the cables, wires, or the rim of the plastic pot from breaking or coming loose. The plastic in the pots can dry up and become brittle and weak. Come to think of it I would take off all that extra stuff so it looks like a typical grow situation.

The next step would be to cut off the main stem about a 1/3 of the way up. All the growth that gets removed can be cut into small pieces and the cuttings treated as any other attempt to get some clones going for later growing projects.

Since the tomato cage is removed it will make it easier to work with the remaining side branches. A bit of squeezing, crushing and bending of those stems in the right area will make those spots soft enough so it becomes easier to train then out to the sides and down. Fasten the fishing sinkers to keep those branches in some sort of hanging appearance. Otherwise the plant's natural tendency will be to try to grow all those remaining branches pointing up as @Lerugged mentioned earlier.

Next summer, if I wanted to try again I would start earlier and go for the mainline or manifold look but with the branches hanging down instead of just out to the sides. I would also use a typical hanging pot with just the 3 leads going down to the rim of the pot. Makes it a lot easier to work with the plant when there are fewer wires and extra stuff in the way.

Since the usual hanging pots tend to be smaller than what you have going right now it will mean a change in the fertilizing. Something to keep in mind.
Thanks for your input

Back
Top Bottom