Harvest Prep - Flushing

OTFmoney

Ok I'm about 3-4 weeks into flowering. I've been watching Trichomes closely & they seem to be on schedule as far as color goes (some turning milky, not all). As I get closer to harvest, which I feel I have about 5 more weeks, I find that myelf in a stand still as far as knowing WHEN to begin flushing. Am I supposed to start the FLUSH process DURING my time OBSERVING the trichomes? Like when I see that the Chomes have colored more or less where I want them, do I start the FLUSH process then? Or do I FLUSH AFTER they have colored? May be a dumb question but I just read that after you notice Trichomes are matured & ready you only have a certain amount of time before the Trichomes get too mature & it affects the overall "smoke" of the bud. I just don't want to ruin my 1st grow at the very end. She's in soil, in a pot. Check my Photo Gallery for pics. Here's one I took Set 17th of the top Cola that's forming.

IMG_20150917_130351404.jpg

I also like the clear/milky early harvest as opposed to Amber and more couchlock so when I see most getting milky I flush for about 2 waterings and then let them dry out and chop. Lots of people don't flush at all. I personally don't tell any difference but I reuse my soil so I like to go head and flush out built up salts before I chop and then shake out the root ball.

I also like the clear/milky early harvest as opposed to Amber and more couchlock so when I see most getting milky I flush for about 2 waterings and then let them dry out and chop. Lots of people don't flush at all. I personally don't tell any difference but I reuse my soil so I like to go head and flush out built up salts before I chop and then shake out the root ball.

I've always been under the impression that you should wait for Amber colored trichomes. But like EarthWalker said, its my preference so I'll prolly move my harvest up a little sooner. I don't want a couch high I wanna be happy & giddy lol. After today I will decide. If I do decide to do it during Milky color, you're saying, I should flush 2 more times? How many days apart on flushing? Or just flush twice that same day? After flushing, how long before I should chop her? You see I've had mine in a pot since Veggie state, she's more of an organic grow. Most I've given her is plant food about a month ago. Nothing but water & sunshine. So pretty much every time I water her, she's being flushed cause I fill the 8" pot to the top. Will still have to flush? How's the taste on that plant that didn't get flushed? Good buds?

What's your take on sampling the bud? Like the little branches at the bottom that have small flowers that won't be much at the end, can I sample those?

When we say 'Flushing', this is different from veg flushing. We basically mean, giver the plant ph'd water and nothing else, no nutes, so that all the remaining nutes and salt in the soil is flushed. My personal preference is 7-10 days, my buddy does 4, no more no less..haha He is set in his ways.

Sample away, you'll do no harm this close to harvest and you'll get a rough idea of what the finish product will be. I think most growers pinch some popcorn before harvest.

Just to add, I've flushed and not flushed and can taste a difference in the flushed. To me, it tastes smoother, cleaner and burns sweet. Some people say they see no difference. I'm sure there's some technical data on this subject out there somewhere. As you have been using just water for a while, there's really no need to add another 7-10 days, unless you want to chop it now. So chop her when you are at the trichomes colour you are happy with. :thumb:

If you haven't been using nutes then it's like earthwalker says above. Just chop when your happy with where it is at.

To answer your question just for future reference. If you are using nutes then the last two waterings is when I flush. Just on normal watering schedule, bout every three days, the last two waterings are plain ole tap water and a little more volume of water until I have clear run off for the most part. I don't use a lot of nutes so I'm not anal about the flush and have never had a complaint.

Best of luck

I appreciate yalls input. I now have a better understanding & I feel better about the upcoming harvest. As for the sampling, it would be ok to cut these branches at the bottom right? They have little flowers that won't be much at the end.
Did the best I could to highlight in Blue.
IMG_20150922_082627.jpg

This picture was taken about 4 weeks ago when she started pre flowering. She's way more advanced now I'll post an updated pic on the 29th

Yea if u want to take the whole branch go for it, or u can just pick off a couple if the buds and leave the branches for the other buds on them to keep growing. Doa quick dry on the buds and see how u like the buzz. The smoke will not be as tasty after a quick dry so what u want tobe checking is the quality iif the high.

I tried those small flowers on the bottom branches. Pruned & dried in my attic for 3 days. That may have been to long since they were just small itty bitty flowers. Anyways the samples came out wonderful. I didn't have a harsh taste plus the high was good considering what I was working with. How do I know if the plant needs more flushing? Can you taste the nutes? I plan to upload a picture when I get home. Today makes 5 weeks.

Back
Top Bottom