Hash Making

Re: Roseman's Hash Making

I'll be re-reading this thread soon Roseman, but I was wondering about fan leaves that are falling off during late flower, most of them are yellow. Do you use them too?

I'm keeping all my leaves now except those, and after they've dried I put them in the fridge until I'm ready to start. Unless you say otherwise of course!

The only leaves I have are from when I clip a bud to sample... they're not ready yet but I figure the leaves still have lots of trichs, even if they are mostly clear.

Any advice would be great thank you!

I'll be re-reading this thread soon Roseman, but I was wondering about fan leaves that are falling off during late flower, most of them are yellow. Do you use them too?

I'm keeping all my leaves now except those, and after they've dried I put them in the fridge until I'm ready to start. Unless you say otherwise of course!

The only leaves I have are from when I clip a bud to sample... they're not ready yet but I figure the leaves still have lots of trichs, even if they are mostly clear.

Any advice would be great thank you!

EVERY FEMALE leaf that is not yellowed gets saved by me. I do not save the yellowed dead ones that fall off during flowering. I do sort them. The large fan leaves that are not trim or bud leaves go to making OIL, heavy in Canabanol. The trim leaves and leaves attached to buds are saved separate for hash making.

And if you add a 10% very slight dose of Nitrogen or Veg Nutes to the Flowering process and Flowreing nutes, those leaves will not yellow and fall off.

Thanks for your response Roseman!

EVERY FEMALE leaf that is not yellowed gets saved by me. I do not save the yellowed dead ones that fall off during flowering. I do sort them.

This confused me. When you say you sort them, do you mean all leaves other than the dead yellow ones?

And if you add a 10% very slight dose of Nitrogen or Veg Nutes to the Flowering process and Flowreing nutes, those leaves will not yellow and fall off.

Ok thanks my friend. I've been using MG Bloom fert, and it has over 10% nitrogen. I think my consistent problem has been overfeeding, the fan leaves didn't start yellowing & dropping until I upped the feedings to every 3rd day. Does that make sense?

EVERY FEMALE leaf that is not yellowed gets saved by me. I do not save the yellowed dead ones that fall off during flowering. I do sort them. The large fan leaves that are not trim or bud leaves go to making OIL, heavy in Canabanol. The trim leaves and leaves attached to buds are saved separate for hash making.

Just to add, I do not think trichomes on the plant's fan leaves have different cannabinoid ratios. What would change the ratio would be ripeness of each specific trichome. Stage in life. Etc etc etc.

CBN is what is called a "degredation product" meaning it is not metabolically produced by the living plant. Instead, CBN or cannabinol forms as THCA or THC-acid breaks down. These cannabinoid acids are formed through the progressive degradation of THC acids to CBN acid (cannabinolic acid) and other cannabinoid acids. The degradation is accomplished primarily by heat and light and is not enzymatically controlled by the plant. CBN is also suspected of synergistic modification of the psychoactivity of the primary cannabinoids, THCs. The cannabinoid balance between CBC, CBD, THC, and CBN is determined by genetics and maturation.

You can read more in an online book (also print copies) called: Marijuana Botany, An Advanced Study: The Propagation and Breeding of Distinctive Cannabis by Robert Connell Clarke. That is where I got a lot of this info.

I'd also highly suggest anyone interested in hash pick up the newest eddition of Hashish! by Robert Connell Clarke. Have been reading through it lately. Really nice.

Happy Friday friends! :roorrip:

Thanks for your response Roseman!

This confused me. When you say you sort them, do you mean all leaves other than the dead yellow ones?

I'm sorry I didn't word that right. I toss the dead yellow ones. I sort the FAN leaves from the trim and bud leaves. I don't find hardly any trichs on my larger fan leaves, so I save them for oil. They aren't worth trying to get the few trichs off of them.

Ok thanks my friend. I've been using MG Bloom fert, and it has over 10% nitrogen. I think my consistent problem has been overfeeding, the fan leaves didn't start yellowing & dropping until I upped the feedings to every 3rd day. Does that make sense?

Almost all Flowering nutes have 10% Nitrogen, to none at all. If you increase the N slightly, the largr fan leaves will not yellow fall off.

Yep, the bottom fan leaves may not have trich but they have some other oils in them ( CBD and CBN primarily) that can really knock you on your deriere. Those are the downer part of the smoke when burned.

On some plants the fan leaves will have noticable trichs but that depends on how far the plant spits trichs and that is strain determined. When they say resinous on the strain decription they are saying that it spews at lot.

Almost all Flowering nutes have 10% Nitrogen, to none at all. If you increase the N slightly, the largr fan leaves will not yellow fall off.

Roseman this MG has 15% nitrogen. I'm going to up my feedings from once a week to once every 4 days.... if they respond well I may go to every 3 days.

I went to Michaels today and bought a 125 micron silk screen in a frame, and ordered the aluminum press from eBay that's in the DIY thread. I had a 40% off coupon for one item at Michaels, so next week I'll get the same coupon and get the DIY shadow box. I'm hoping to have my first hash in 30+ years within a week or so... :cheer::cheer::cheer:

Roseman this MG has 15% nitrogen. I'm going to up my feedings from once a week to once every 4 days.... if they respond well I may go to every 3 days.

I went to Michaels today and bought a 125 micron silk screen in a frame, and ordered the aluminum press from eBay that's in the DIY thread. I had a 40% off coupon for one item at Michaels, so next week I'll get the same coupon and get the DIY shadow box. I'm hoping to have my first hash in 30+ years within a week or so... :cheer::cheer::cheer:

You will be so glad. I went about 15 years without seeing any, until I was able to make some. It is so awesome to taste and get high on. Good Luck, bro.

i love kief more than hash or oil. prefer the taste and overall feel.

p.s your wikka box tripped me out, reminded me of my ex who got into evil stuff with wikka and witchcraft etc. i'd burn it pronto.

A lot of reading here. Thanks R. and friends.

Unless I missed it, one method of smoking hash seems to be missing (and it was my favourite).

An empty cardboard tube from paper towels, some hash, a stove......and the knives.

This is going to take almost all day, and a lot of editing, so this thread is a work in progress.

I want to preface this with this is what I have learned and know and I'm sure someone will offer argument or debate or contradictory opinions. I am not saying the way I do it is the BEST way or MOST efficient way. I am saying it is my way that I do it, the way I like to do it and the way I find simple and easy to do with very little expense. It is a lazy way, that I can make it sitting down and watching TV at the same time. There are probably a dozen ways to make HASH, and this is a couple of the ways of making HASH without using Bubble Bags or electric extractors.

First, I'd like to talk about WHAT IS HASH and what I know about HASH.

When we look at a plant in Flowering, we see on the smaller leaves very near the buds or flowers what we used to call THE CRYSTALS, looking like little sparkly diamonds to the naked eye. That is a slang term for the TRICHOMES, also call the TRICHS. In Europe, they are also called the RESIN GLANDS. After they are removed, they are called KIEF, sometimes often misspelled KEEF.
When we collect and gather the KIEF and press it with a HASH PRESS or KIEF PRESS, or when we press and bake it into a cake or patty or clump or a rolled up ball, we then call it HASH or HASHISH. Very high grade Hash is 100% Kief or 100% Trichomes and often it has some plant matter or leaf material in it, making it a lower grade HASH. HIGH Grade 100% Kief or HASH is a brownish blonde color. Lower grade is more green and less blonde OR all green. I've seen some people mix the Kief and grounded up leaf material, press it and call it HASH, but that is the lower or lowest grade HASH, if it is to really be considered HASH.

I love HASH. Real Hash has more THC and less Canabanol, making it more of a heady high. HASH is cleaner than smoking buds. It is easier to store and will last for over a year. I can smoke HASH in the mornings and still do chores, and feel energetic and feel like doing something. It also makes me feel creative, like writing, or doing some arts and crafts. It is more of a giggley high to me, than smoking just buds, but that is just my opinion.
I also love HASH because it takes very little of it to get me high. I can break off a piece the size of two BBs (like in a BB gun) put it in a pipe on a screen, and get 4 tokes, 2 tokes for two people, that will knock our socks off.
I also like it for travel and concerts, it is very easy to hide or conceal and I often take it with me. A gram can last me several days.

Back in the 70s, I experienced Royal Afgani Hash. It was very moist and I learned later that some water or some tea was added to it to make it STRETCHY. It was sort of greasy, in a dark round ball, it bubbled when we smoked it. That and BubbleHASH and Nepalese Hash are the only kinds of HASH I have ever smoked that did bubble. The HASH I make does not bubble.

Also in the 70s, the most frequent commercial HASH that made it to America was from Lebanon. Blonde Lebonese was the best we got then. It was made from beating the dried plants over a fine mesh screen, and was placed in very thin cotton cloth bags. It was then rolled with a heavy weight still in the bag, like a giant rolling pin like bakers use, but much more heavier and larger. It was very dry. We learned if it was slightly moist and darker in color, it was probably Pakistani Hash.

We used to also get dark greasy round balls of brownish Hash, from Nepal, callled Nepalese Hash or Nepalese Balls. It bubbled when we smoked it too.

Most all growers have experienced Hand Rubbed HASH from manicuring the buds and finding trichs stuck to their hands. It is almost like a film of sticky hard thin plastic and very good to smoke, needing ony two tokes to get you high.
Other than HAND RUBBED, there is BUBBLE HASH that extracts the trichs with Ice and Bubble Bags, there is BLENDER HASH, or Coffee Grinder Hash, and there is SCREEN HASH.

I prefer making SCREEN HASH.

roseman can u tell me how many ppms per week am i supposed to use in my Deep Water Culture system im starting out with clones that are about 3 inches tall

Management and Staff here are discussing if I can do a Tutorial on OIL making, using Iso. They fear recommending anything flamable and having some member become the next Richard Proyor running downt he street in flames.

I used ISO and well I ensured I left plenty of time before I flamed it up. Nothing like recreating a Michael Jackson's 7up commercial!

Well i just finished reading this whole thread.i am looking foward to my first hash in many years as well.being in my late 50's its been a long time since i could buy really great hashish.so i'm, just going to make my own!!! thank you for taking the time to help so many. i watched a video of "the old ones"in afganistan making hash like they have done for 100's mabey 1,000's of years. google afganistan hash(hope i spelled it right).it showed the farmers making killer hash with the simplest of tools. i,m going to make a tumbler drum thing,like the "pollinator",but i am going with 6 ? sideed ends like a stop sign instead of round ends.i think the many flat sides turning might sift it better.just a wild idea.gots try something different. so Tulip thank you again,good job.i would offer "points" or whatever but don't know how that works. i too would at least paint over the Wicca words.they are playing w/fire... Happy trails,Red ps now that i think of it it was napalise? not afgani hash,cool fic though!

Well i just finished reading this whole thread.i am looking foward to my first hash in many years as well.being in my late 50's its been a long time since i could buy really great hashish.so i'm, just going to make my own!!! thank you for taking the time to help so many. i watched a video of "the old ones"in afganistan making hash like they have done for 100's mabey 1,000's of years. google afganistan hash(hope i spelled it right).it showed the farmers making killer hash with the simplest of tools. i,m going to make a tumbler drum thing,like the "pollinator",but i am going with 6 ? sideed ends like a stop sign instead of round ends.i think the many flat sides turning might sift it better.just a wild idea.gots try something different. so Tulip thank you again,good job.i would offer "points" or whatever but don't know how that works. i too would at least paint over the Wicca words.they are playing w/fire... Happy trails,Red ps now that i think of it it was napalise? not afgani hash,cool fic though!

You know you may be onto something with the un-round shaped tumbler. You know some people put things in the tumbler to upset them (like a golf ball or something). I wondered what would happen if someone put some dry ice in a tumbler. It would be a hard thing that would upset the material and because it is so cold it will freeze and help break up the trichomes. Anyone that tries that be sure to let us all know how it worked. I won't be able to do it myself any time soon.

10 points G Dog.i bet slivered dry ice would do the job..i bought some 156 lpi mesh and it seemed to tight.i could hardly get any kief out of some good bud.i'm going to get some 110 lpi or 125 lpi. is that a good number? well once i get everything lined up i'll get on the 6 sided tumbler with the "dry ice injecting method" and let you know how it works. take care,Red

pleasure to meet ya Rize! Thank you for sharing all that information. I will be reading, and rereading it. Again, thanks for your time.

Back
Top Bottom