Hearing Set For Illinois Medical Marijuana Bill

Jim Finnel

Fallen Cannabis Warrior & Ex News Moderator
The debate over whether to legalize medical marijuana in Illinois will heat up Wednesday in Springfield.

A special legislative subcommittee will hold a hearing Wednesday on Senate Bill 1381, a proposal that would legalize marijuana for those suffering from debilitating medical conditions, including some cancers. The 3 p.m. hearing will be followed by a debate by the Senate Public Health Committee.

The bill "permits the person or the person's primary caregiver to legally possess no more than 7 dried cannabis plants and 2 ounces of dried usable cannabis." It is sponsored by State Sens. William R. Haine (D-Alton), Iris Martinez (D-Chicago), and Jeffrey Schoenberg (D-Evanston).

A similar, separate bill in the state House of Representatives, called the Compassionate Use of Medical Cannabis Pilot Program Act, passed the state House Human Services Committee 4-3 on March 9.

Sponsor Rep. Lou Lang (D-Skokie) said HB 2514 was the first medical marijuana proposal that ever got off the House floor.

Lang has said this isn't a drug issue, it's a health issue.

"We're always talking around this building about how we can make people's lives better, the health care system and all the plans that are out there cost millions and millions and billions of dollars," Lang said earlier thismonth. "Here's something we can do to alleviate pain and suffering, it won't cost the taxpayers a dime."

Last time around, a similar bill was narrowly defeated in the Senate. Some people who suffer from painful diseases are hopeful that this time, it's approved.

Julie Falco, 43, of Chicago, bakes with cannabis. She says in her 20-year battle with multiple sclerosis - cannabis is the only drug that has relieved all of her symptoms.

"My high for me, yeah, I'm high, I'm so happy that wow, I found something that relaxes all that pain, and the side effects from all those other drugs I was on, which was keeping me in a zombie-like state and not functioning," Falco said.

But there is opposition, and it's strong – especially among law enforcement groups.

Limey Nargelenas, the deputy director of the Illinois Association of Chiefs of Police, says other states with similar laws have reported problems like increased crime around distribution sites and forged medical cards.

News Hawk: User: 420 MAGAZINE ® - Medical Marijuana Publication & Social Networking
Source: CBS 2 Chicago
Copyright: 2009 CBS Broadcasting, Inc
Website: Hearing Set For Illinois Medical Marijuana Bill In State Senate - cbs2chicago.com

Back
Top Bottom