Help & advice needed - Using a freezing method

medicalcbd

Hi all. I am wondering if you can help me. I am helping out someone with stage four lung cancer. Ultimately, we want to grow our own 1:1 THC:CBD strain and make oil from that. But for now all we can get is a high THC strain, from a reliable source.

So our task now is to make oil with what we've got. We have most of the materials, and the solvent we're using is isopropyl. Rather than use the quick wash method, we want to freeze both the solvent and the material as described here: How to Make Cannabis Oil | Heavy.com[1]

The main reason is because iso, being a polar solvent, also absorbs water soluble contaminants, like the chlorophyll in the plant material. The method described in the link seems relatively easy to follow, and methodical to avoid mistakes. We have all the equipment required to do it this way.

My question to you is: This seems a relatively new method. Has anyone done it this way with a polar solvent? Does anyone advise against it, or encourage it? Or have any extra tips?

Many thanks in advance!

High Medicalcbd

That method in your link would work good. Pretty much the way I've done it using ISO in the past. I just swirl all the frozen pot with the ice cold ISO and pour it through a coffee filter then one of my finer lab filters. Add some more cold ISO, give it swirl to rinse then filter that. Then I distill it to recover the ISO or naphtha. If using ISO for the main extraction I might do a separation with naphtha to get rid of some contaminants. That's more for smoking oil than for eating. Some of those "contaminants" likely have medicinal qualities that just wouldn't taste good for smoking.

L8r

Back
Top Bottom