Help! Babies are sick and I'm really worried

420Girl

Hi all, I'm panicking a bit here and don't know what to do so any help would be greatly appreciated!

First, some info:

Strain: Northern Lights auto
Tent: Secret Jardin DP60 (60x90x60cm)
Lights: 4x 2ft T5s 96w
Light cycle: 12/12
Ventilation: 6" desk fan and I also open the ventilation flaps and door from time to time
Medium: Coco coir

My problem: My seedlings sprouted 4 or so days ago and one in particular (the one closest to the light because it's in a bigger pot) is showing signs of what I think is heat stress. The leaves are curled up and have whitish-brown patches, and the rest of the leaf is a slightly darker green. The lights were about 5-6 inches above the plant in the biggest pot so I raised them another couple of inches but it didn't make any difference. I've now angled the fan directly at the plants to try and eliminate the hot spot beneath the lights. Trouble is, I need the lights to be low to give them plenty of light, but they then get too hot! And if I raise them they'll stretch. I can't win! By the way, I've done the hand test and it feels fine to me, also PH is okay.

The T5s do chuck out a surprising amount of heat and so the temperature in the tent is pretty warm. I don't know what it is exactly as I have yet to buy a digital thermometer but I estimate it to be about 80 degrees, perhaps more. The growing medium dries out very quickly as well so I water them a little every day by watering in a circle around the stem (not the whole pot).

Do you agree that it is heat stress? And if so how do I cool the tent down?? Any help you can give me would be great as I'm really worried about my babies! I honestly didn't expect to run into problems so soon :( :(

To be honest these pics don't do it justice how bad the leaves actually look. The white-ish areas on the leaves are actually white, it's not just the light shining on them:
P1080264.JPG
P1080262.JPG
P10802501.JPG

This is the one that's in a smaller pot and thus further from the light:
P1080260.JPG

And this is to show my setup and how far they are from the lights:
P10802481.JPG

They don't need a lot of light at this size. The best advice I can think of at the moment is to just put a regular cfl bulb (13w or whatever) above each plant and turn off the bigger light, while you get a thermometer or two and figure out your ventilation situation better. The cfls can be put very close. Might as well buy some combo hygrometer/thermometers they come in handy for growing as well as curing the bud later.

Thanks so much for your input guys! I'll try and see about maybe getting a desk lamp or two and CFLs for the seedlings.

Regarding my ventilation, my tent has just one cable sock and one vent at the top (plus the ventilation flaps on both sides). Do you have any suggestions on how I might be able to vent my tent better with just one top vent? Could it perhaps be as simple as opening it to let more hot air out? That's not ideal though as I have my light cycle at night and the light shining through might get noticed by my nosy neighbours.

Thanks!

CFL or LED bulbs are just fine. :)
Airflow made with a fan and an exhaust fan with filter to suck out on the sides or on top, (with pics it is easier to figure it out:)

Hi 420Girl, maybe set the smaller pot on something to raise it up to the same lvl as the big pot. Then you can raise your light a little higher and they both will get the same amount of light. 80 degrees shouldnt be a huge problem temp wise. Also with coco you should water until you get runoff, if not the coco will develop hot spots if your using any nutes already.

Keep em frosty ya'll

Hi again folks,

I've raised the light further and opened the vent in the roof of the tent but my seedlings are still deteriorating. So, my plan is this: to get small CFLs (as AngryBird said) for the seedlings as a matter of urgency while I figure out a longer term plan re: T5s. Is there a safe way to hang a CFL bulb in a CFL lamp lead in the tent? Or would it be easier (and safer) to just buy a little bendy desk lamp for the time being? Also would a 125w CFL grow light with reflector chuck out less heat than a T5? If so I might swap out the T5 for that!

Regarding ventilation, I obviously need to extract the hot air to reduce the overall temperature of the tent, so does anyone have any recommendations for a reasonably priced exhaust fan that can be fixed into the vent in the roof of my tent? When I look at them online it just looks like they would fall through the hole which is not ideal!! Please forgive my ignorance but I've never done this before!

Thanks!

Here are the seedlings today. The leaves on one of them are actually folding up:

P10802762.JPG
P1080277.JPG

Back
Top Bottom