Help! It's my 1st grow and I'm struggling to tell the sex of this plant

StationTerrapin

420 Member
Hi all,

I grew some seeds I found in some Gelato I bought, and have just put them into flower (a week ago). I've just checked, and thought it was a male. Though the second pic looks female to me. Both these pics are from the same plant.

I'd appreciate any help.

Dan

Attachments

• 20190213_175519.jpg
    20190213_175519.jpg
    548.4 KB · Views: 222
  • 20190213_175906-01.jpeg
    20190213_175906-01.jpeg
    816.3 KB · Views: 212
Yes it may hermaphrodite which would be an unstable seed, meaning it could pollinate itself and any other females in the grow space. keep a close eye on that plant, this often happens with bag seeds.
Stay vigilant and good luck my friend, stay green.

Ah, that was my worry. I only have three plants, so I'll probably just keep it. If I'm just seeing it now, I'm assuming it could have already pollinated the other two.

Thanks for the heads up.

I think you are ok - I dont see any pollen sacs that have matured and opened up yet.

In pic 1 if you go up and to the left of the little bud, there are 3 white things. Can you get a better pic of that?"

No, in order for it to do that the male pollen sack turns yellow and opens up for the pollen to become air born, looking at your picture that definitely hasn't happened yet. The other females are ok and haven't ben pollinated yet. This can happen more quickly than anticipated. You can pull it out of your grow space and isolate it another area just in case. because if it does pollinate the other females the buds will all be filed with seeds and believe me you wont have any smokable flowers. Those seeds would all be no good because they would be unstable also. That would be a waste of your lighting and nutrients as well as your time, we don't want that to happen do we.

Cut off any Male bits you see. Keep removing... Seeded buds, still smoke (some of the best over the years but that's another story), so it's really matter of time invested so far vs product already available to you... As for selfed seeds, throw away, birdfeed. If pollinated other stable plants, grow some out for yourself, you could be surprised...

Cut off any Male bits you see. Keep removing... Seeded buds, still smoke (some of the best over the years but that's another story), so it's really matter of time invested so far vs product already available to you... As for selfed seeds, throw away, birdfeed. If pollinated other stable plants, grow some out for yourself, you could be surprised...

Yeah. Next time I'll buy some proper seeds. But I just thought: "Stick them in soil and see if they grow." And it just went from there. :)

Grew nothing but what some call bagseed for over 20years.. only stopped due to low germination of old seed. Threw hundreds away once got internet and found breeders and seedsales. Some/most breeders I've tried, Wish I hadn't got the internet and wasted money on a sales pitch...

Grew nothing but what some call bagseed for over 20years.. only stopped due to low germination of old seed. Threw hundreds away once got internet and found breeders and seedsales. Some/most breeders I've tried, Wish I hadn't got the internet and wasted money on a sales pitch...

I've tried to read/watch as much as possible, and opinion really seems to vary. One guy was really chilled, and his outlook was essentially, "So you'll get a few seeds, but it'll still smoke great". Whereas others recommend taking out the offending plants, blindfolding them, driving them into the next county, and pulling out each leaf with a rusty pair of pliers.

Some grow for themselves others grow for the money it sprouts and some grow for themselves pretending their commercial lol. If commercial, it's not even a question, it shouldn't be in your growroom..personal, look over it, cut off its bits and what's a couple seeds between friends, within reason. I wouldn't be keeping no bannana tree but few stress/early/late pollen sacs that can be discarded, most sterile, for personal stash, personally lol, I'm not wasting power going five weeks plus and throwing a smoke away..

Seems like when you post in an effort to offer others advice derived over the years of personal experience, others will contradict what you have to say. You know what they say opinions are Iike ( ***) everybody has one. However we interact with each other here on this forum should remain respectful and courteous in an effort to share information with one another. Go ahead all you bag seed growers have fun in your efforts good luck and prosper, best wishes to you.

Kumbaya

Back
Top Bottom